Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4th February 2015

Liked 302 Times in 190 Posts
Re: Oh dear - I had a play with the Fuji XT1 today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Here is an official response from the webmaster (that's me, by the way).

This site is operated by my company, the Write Technology Ltd, and it has backing from Olympus UK, both technical and financial, although the funding does not cover all our costs. The site was established jointly by myself at the suggestion of Mark Thackara at Olympus UK. It is not an official Olympus owned and operated site but it was created to support Olympus users and their relationship with Olympus UK.

We operate this site with respect to its raison-d'etre that is to provide an online community for the discussion of Olympus system camera and related topics and in relation to the site's one and only commercial patron, Olympus UK. Therefore, we do need to operate the site with a level of respect and sensibility towards Olympus UK.

So what does that mean?

It does not mean that we ban any mention of other brands in discussions. It does not mean that we ban any reasoned criticism or complaint about Olympus. But at the same time we need to be balanced and respect the core nature of this site.

This site is not really editorially independent. It is designed to satisfy the needs of people who are either thinking of buying or already using Olympus gear, sourced from Olympus UK. If you wish to have a full-blown (but reasoned) debate about the advantages of a rival system, this site may not be the best place to do that. Our sibling site, Four Thirds User, is completely independent so that may be a better place to conduct such a debate, although we would reject malicious promotion of non FT/MFT gear there, too.

What all this boils down to is that if you have something to say about an alternative brand, make it brief and to the point and where possible balance your comments carefully. Be aware of the fact that content you post like this may be interpreted as being unreasonable on this site.

I am currently reviewing our terms and conditions to reflect the above so that myself and the forum moderators can have a better benchmark to work to when having to deal with contentious discussions here.

So what about the origination of this particular thread? I would have though twice about posting it. While Fuji sensors have undeniably attractive features, they have also been criticised by testers I have a great deal of respect for. There is no such thing as a perfect sensor or a perfect camera. That point needs to be underscored whenever we have a discussion like this.

So, please exercise a level of diplomacy, thank you.

Ian
I have followed this post from the start and have thought of adding my own 'two penneth worth' however perhaps unusually for me I have failed to find the appropriate wording to convey my feelings on the subject, however Ian's response is perfect and what I personally believe to be the correct one.

Of course there are many other very good cameras and brands 'out there' and it is only natural that from time to time one may look at or even consider buying such kit which in turn often leads to one wanting to 'share' their experiences of such kit (and possibly comparisons too) with fellow members of the forum, however I do believe without advocating full blown censorship one should just be 'mindful' of the only financial patron this forum has and the benefits 'we' members gain from that support.

As Ian has also said, possibly the fairest and most mindful way to have a 'long' or 'in-depth' discussion about non Olympus related brands would be to convey your thoughts on a 'non-brand specific' forum and provide a link to those 'thoughts' via a 'short' post of perhaps one or two lines along the lines of ......."Anyone interested in my comparison of the Olympus Exxx to the XXX Brand feel free to click on this this link" ......for example.

Kindest regards, Simon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
pandora (4th February 2015), pault (4th February 2015), Wee man (4th February 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ralph Harwood (4th February 2015), Ricoh (4th February 2015)
Old 4th February 2015

Thanked 1,531 Times in 1,482 Posts
Liked 4,328 Times in 1,958 Posts

Precisely, and thank you Simon.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

^ +1

(10 characters required)

on flickr
Old 4th February 2015

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts

Can we all settle down? My biggest worry is being fit enough to get out to take photographs, meanwhile I am on here most of the day linking or reading from like minded camera owning friends. From this I get advice see shots I could take or ideas on how to use my Olympus camera. The odd mention of foreign makes or shots does not take away from the main thrust of the site. If I want a discussion on other 4/3 cameras I go to the 4/3 site if I want to see what Canon/Pentex/ Sony etc are doing in any depth I got to a site dedicated to them that's were I expect those owners will be looking and sharing advice. I do not expect to find good solid Olympus advice on those sites in the same way I would not expect advice on other makes on an Olympus site. All I would expect is the odd shot or comment on other makes as compared by a person with good Olympus knowledge to compare it to.
I am holding back on the 40 - 150 2.8f until my Olympus fellow users on this site report and post examples from which I can make my mind up.
I was at the OMD EM1 launch and read the many reviews from the experts who were there on the day, some of their views seemed to be on different cameras only because the were comparing it to the camera they preferred or normally used? A number made comments about difficult menu usage! The comments on here were based on prior knowledge of Olympus kit and expectations of what it could/ should do.
I do understand our benefactor for the site is Olympus but I think the odd mention in a constructive way with backup statements can only be helpful to owner and site users if kept moderated in a sensible controlled manner with personality forgotten?
I did not want to make any comment but when I lie here in my sick bed reading a thread or two which has good friends spending time scoring points rather than keeping this site the fun loving friendly (big family) site I know and love I feel compelled to add a comment. This is the most I have ever written on any site I hope it is in order but I hope my feelings for the people and the site come through, I of course could be way out and should go back to my box brownie!!

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wee man For This Useful Post:
pandora (4th February 2015), pault (4th February 2015), wellyboot (4th February 2015)
pault (4th February 2015), PeterBirder (4th February 2015), StephenL (4th February 2015), wellyboot (4th February 2015), Zuiko (4th February 2015)
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 440 Times in 212 Posts

I too have read this post and agree with the last few postings...unfortunately there will always be a 'better', 'faster', etc etc in any aspect of commercial goods be it cameras, cars, Hi-fi, clothes, you name it and it's for us to choose. Fortunately we are all individuals, and not clones, we all have opinions and thoughts we live in a free world. I personally don't have a problem with Stephen talking about Fuji on here, it's interesting and I think he was speaking from his own personal ideas and thoughts, not slating Olympus just saying he thought Fuji was a 'better' option for him.
From my angle, I just prefer my Olympus, the smaller format suits me and my lifestyle, having invested a considerable sum in the u4/3 I won't be jumping ship...actually watching a Canon user recently take some stunning pictures of BIF, you start to question why you shouldn't go out and buy a Canon with a great big lens, but that's like sitting at the traffic lights and watching a BMW race away at the lights whilst you jog along, only to catch up at the next lights, does that make me want to have a BMW?? Well no, so let's agree here that we sometimes agree to disagree and move on.

Lastly, I consider this site to be a real help to my cause to improve my pictures...you tend to get the same group of people responding to your posts, but generally they are extremely helpful, so many names to mention, but John and Stephen as much as anyone need to keep their roles, it is why I in particular keep coming back..

Cheers

Peter...ps I hope I haven't offended anyone (particularly BMW drivers !!
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocknroll59 For This Useful Post:
wellyboot (4th February 2015)
StephenL (4th February 2015), wellyboot (4th February 2015)
Old 4th February 2015

Ed,

Totally agree, i hadn't realised you were still bed bound...must be difficult for you, my best wishes for a speedy recovery...Spring is on it's way and time is a great healer...look forward to seeing some of you your pictures again shortly.
As a side note I was out walking yesterday with my son (11 1/2 miles in total), took the camera and took a few pictures, mainly to add something to the 'Broken' competition currently, but out of several pics I took I can't see anything (Yet) that might be good enough...so i'll keep working on it....but towards the last 2 miles or so I had a problem with my left knee, now i'm usually quite a fit 63 yr old, but suddenly it dawned on me that if I were not able to get out and walk, how I would deal with that, so keep posting, and get well soon...

Cheers

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocknroll59 For This Useful Post:
Wee man (4th February 2015)
Old 4th February 2015

Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts

Get well soon Ed. I hope you're out and about very soon.
Old 4th February 2015

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts

Thanks all, I get up for a few hours most days. Still weak but taking things slowly. Peter why not a shot of your knee for the 'Broken' competition ? You are half way there.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 4th February 2015

Ed

A picture of my knee !! Reminds me of the knobbly knees competitions, not a pretty sight I hear you all say....

Cheers

Peter
Old 5th February 2015

Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
If I do buy some Fuji gear, I will keep a foot in the Oly camp. However, I'm not yet 100% sure I'll do it - when all's said and done, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you and the compactness of u43 makes carting gear around a much easier task. As nice as the Fuji system is, the lenses are still on the large size. Photo gear is all about compromises isn't it?
You've put it in a nutshell. I am an avid E-M1 user and it is my go to camera for many reasons and on many occasions - mainly the range of lenses I can easily carry all day in one camera bag. I can go long and wide with my Oly gear

However, I also use a Fuji X-Pro1 and love it for many other, user specific reasons. (I won't discuss them here out of respect for the site and recent posts on this matter)

As you say, it's all about compromises and I do find that when I have the Oly with me, I sometimes miss the Fuji and vice versa for many and varied reasons.

It's all about getting the best out of the camera on the day - irrespective of the brand name and let's be honest - all of them are capable of producing stunning images in the right hands.