Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 28th December 2014

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Re: Doomed, the whole World is doomed! (Political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
Non-genocidal only in the direct sense. His continuous attempts to drive inflammatory wedges between the Muslim and Hindu communities in India in the period leading up to independence in the crazy attempt to preserve British rule by making each side desire to keep the Raj going as an intermediary ultimately resulted in monumental loss of life. The Dardanelles/Gallipoli blunder(which wouldn't have happened without his insistence) wasn't too good either!
Yes, couldn't agree more. He loved confrontation; it was always his first recourse. He raised the Black and Tans and gave them a free hand, so alienating the moderate Irish. Did you know that he demanded the use of nerve gas (Adamsite) in northern Russia against villages during the period around 1920, when we had an expeditionary force at Archangel? He wanted to use it against Indian tribesmen, too. Fortunately, it didn't work well in Russia, so he was persuaded not to.

Have you read "Military Intelligence Blunders" by Colonel John Hughes-Wilson? The chapters about the fall of Singapore and the Dieppe Raid give a good flavour of what he was like.

A friend of ours lived close to Chartwell as a child. She remembers him walking around his estate in the nude, didn't give a damn who saw him, women or children. NOT normal behaviour, especially for a man who was then around 80!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Magus (28th December 2014)
Old 28th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Motoring regulations (including speed limits) have as much to do with revenue generation as road safety so I would not include those.

However, for me, the difficulties of travelling around Europe with equipment made it a real pain. I travel to Europe on an almost weekly basis for much of the year, and life is so much easier now than it was then.
I had a serious involvement with the European Commission for around 12 years. I found them pragmatic and sensible. I'd far rather deal with them than Whitehall any day! (I had to do that too - both the Dept of Transport and Dept of Trade and Industry when it existed. Best barrier to trade and industry I've ever met...IMHO)

The EU has done far more than people realise to make vehicles safer, and one result is that people now walk away from car accidents today that would have killed them in the cars of 15-20 years ago. Safety costs money, and no manufacturer wants to spend money on unglamorous things. It takes bodies like the EU to force the issue. I could go into great detail about many things regarding vehicles and the EU - and indeed, the UN, and North American regulations - since I spent 37 years of my working life in motor vehicle engineering departments, and I was involved in national and international standards and regulations, including EU ones.
Old 29th December 2014

Liked 2,323 Times in 1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
I had a serious involvement with the European Commission for around 12 years. I found them pragmatic and sensible. I'd far rather deal with them than Whitehall any day! (I had to do that too - both the Dept of Transport and Dept of Trade and Industry when it existed. Best barrier to trade and industry I've ever met...IMHO)

The EU has done far more than people realise to make vehicles safer, and one result is that people now walk away from car accidents today that would have killed them in the cars of 15-20 years ago. Safety costs money, and no manufacturer wants to spend money on unglamorous things. It takes bodies like the EU to force the issue. I could go into great detail about many things regarding vehicles and the EU - and indeed, the UN, and North American regulations - since I spent 37 years of my working life in motor vehicle engineering departments, and I was involved in national and international standards and regulations, including EU ones.
Fascinating. Tell us more.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 29th December 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Fascinating. Tell us more.
I was part of the team that produced the first EC regulations for automotive EMC that came into force in 1989 (89/336/EEC) and its successor (95/56/EC). I also spent 20 years working on functional safety analysis of automotive control systems, which led to automotive compliance with IEC 61508 initially via MISRA* methods, and latterly the development of MISRA into ISO 26262. MISRA came into being in 1992; it had started out as a proposal under the government's SafeIT programme of 1990 which came under DTI (and was rather disowned by DTp for a long time!) It took two years to get that proposal up and running, largely because of internal politics in DTI; most of the 30-odd projects proposed didn't stay the course, but we did, and MISRA was judged the most successful of all those projects by far. It still runs as an industry-funded group, and has developed MISRA-C and MISRA C++ safe subsets of computer languages, the latter being adopted for use on the Joint Strike Fighter. * MISRA = Motor Industry Software Reliability Association

I also led a project in a client role for the Dept of Transport about the monitoring of heavy diesels for compliance with regulatory requirements (a major problem world-wide).

Around 20 years back I got involved in air-bag development and crash testing for a time; interesting, but not to my taste.

For the EC, I was project manager of an ESPRIT project, 22816 COMPASS, which developed a prototype tool, and the methodology, for safety analysis. Our EC project officer for that project was Andrea Servida, whom you will find a lot about on the internet; a man whom I have enormous respect for. I also had the lead role for my employer in an EC project called EPHEM.

Enough for now? Give you a flavour?
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithL For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (29th December 2014)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (29th December 2014), Ralph Harwood (29th December 2014)