Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 5th November 2014

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Infra red conversion

Hi I thought this might be the area to ask if anyone has found a dealer that is willing to undertake an infra red conversion on a 4/3 camera as I have an E-30 that I was thinking of getting done. I have phoned ACS & Protech Photographic who have both knocked it back claiming difficulty in obtaining Olympus parts and the fact that the dust reduction system & image stabilisation make it more difficult.

Looks like my only options are find a camera that has been done already (unlikely I've been watching for a while and never seen one)

Buy a Micro 4/3 of some description that's been done

Or get a Nikon or Canon body that can be converted (don't want to go down that route if I can help it)
Old 6th November 2014

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts
Re: Infra red conversion

Hi there Cameron!

I found this when I wanted an E-420 converting - in the end I did it myself as when I looked no one wanted to do a four thirds olympus camera. There were some companies mentioned by other people on the forum towards the end of my how I did it thread in the E-420 section of the forum which might be of some help to you.

I'm surprised that lack of spares is being used as an excuse - I didn't need to change anything but the hot mirror/low pass filter assembly for a piece of crystal glass (I went for a full spectrum conversion, but UGC optics who supplied the glass can also do a variety of different IR filters too).

The biggest difficulties with an E-30 would be that the sensor is mounted on the IS assembly which is delecate, and that you would then have to calibrate all your lenses to work with the particular frequency of IR filter you have chosen ( or just use contrast af on liveview instead)

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ralph
Old 6th November 2014

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Infra red conversion

Hj Ralph thanks for the info I will have a look at your how you did it thread