Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 26th October 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts
Re: I'm coming out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
I'd be interested in your reasons for switching. I'm in the fortunate position of owning both an Olympus E-M5 outfit with many lenses, and a Fuji X-E1 with a few lenses, and I enjoy using both. I'd like to concentrate on one system only, and if I do I think it will be the Olympus as it's smaller, nicer to use and more flexible but the results from the Fuji are technically better (marginally). I don't enjoy using the Fuji as much though - I find it uninvolving and somehow rather clinical compared to the Oly.
Hi Snowy,

I see that you have been with us for a few months and this is your first post, so welcome to the forum.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 26th October 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Hi Snowy,

I see that you have been with us for a few months and this is your first post, so welcome to the forum.
Thanks I've just been reading and learning so far - don't feel I've got enough knowledge to contribute much yet, but enjoying the collective wisdom!
Old 26th October 2014

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Thank goodness this forum is more relaxed about this sort of thing Brian.
The Pentax User forum (good that it was) which I frequented mostly when I had my 'Pentax' gear was not so accommodating, to the point where discussing other brands would sometimes result in posts being censored/deleted, all rather petty really.
I'm very pleased to hear this. I've come from that pentax forum and find it rather unhelpful. Fortunately there is also an alternative UK based pentax forum now, which I do enjoy.
Greytop (27th October 2014)
Old 27th October 2014

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Good luck with your Fuji switch Stephen.

I tried switching to fuji recently and got the XE1, 56mm and 18-55mm. The 56mm was a big disappointment to me after owning the 45mm and 75mm. It is slow to focus, lacks IBIS and bulkier. I dont think using my skills i can capture better pictures than the 45mm/75mm. Also the 56mm feels more like being built from the 4/3 lens era. But i like the pop up flash on the Fuji and wish Olympus had similar feature. The Olympus does loose on the image quality but i prefer the Olympus colours and noise reduction. Bottom line is that i have once again decided to stick with Olympus
Old 27th October 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Of course Fuji cameras don't have IBIS. But the zoom lenses do have OIS. I never shoot flash, so that's not an issue.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 27th October 2014

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Yes the zoom lens on Fuji have OIS and they are much better value than the Olympus zooms. Wish Olympus had F2 zooms at the price of their current F2.8 zooms
The Following User Liked This Post:
StephenL (27th October 2014)
Old 27th October 2014

Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranhopper View Post
Yes the zoom lens on Fuji have OIS and they are much better value than the Olympus zooms. Wish Olympus had F2 zooms at the price of their current F2.8 zooms
"don't we all"

...but seriously isn't it a bit unfair to compare like this given the relative sensor sizes ?
Old 27th October 2014

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I believe there is a 1 stop difference between APSC and m4/3. So an F2 m4/3 lens should negate the sensor size advantage over an F2.8 APSC lens. Atleast that is my understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotokan101 View Post
"don't we all"

...but seriously isn't it a bit unfair to compare like this given the relative sensor sizes ?
Old 27th October 2014

Quote:
I believe there is a 1 stop difference between APSC and m4/3. So an F2 m4/3 lens should negate the sensor size advantage over an F2.8 APSC lens. Atleast that is my understanding.
Maybe you'd better quote specific lenses and prices so that I better understand the point you were making....
Old 27th October 2014

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

For example the Fuji 18 55 F2.8-4 compares quite similar to the Olympus 12 40 F2.8 inspite of being slower at the long end. The lack of speed is overcome by the higher ISO performance of the larger sensor. In favour of the Olympus, the build quality is exceptional and so is the focus speed. But pricewise, the Fuji can be bought for half the price of the Olympus thanks to Fuji's promotions.

So to justify higher pricing, maybe Olympus should offer faster lens at the same cost. But now thinking again, maybe the higher build quality and focus speed justifies the premium.
Old 27th October 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

I don't intend to enter into an argument or start knocking Olympus, but I have seen nothing in the equipment I have bought to suggest that Fuji build quality is at all inferior to Olympus or that focus speed of the XT-1 is any slower than the E-M1.

My Flickr site
shotokan101 (27th October 2014)
Old 27th October 2014

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Hi Stephen. I can see why we have different opinion. I have been using the XE1 and EM5 and there is obvious difference in focus speed especially in low light. I have no idea how they perform with XT1 or EM1.

Sorry i didnt mention earlier but by build quality, i was refering to weather sealing which i think the Fuji isnt.
Old 27th October 2014

Quote:

For example the Fuji 18 55 F2.8-4 compares quite similar to the Olympus 12 40 F2.8 inspite of being slower at the long end. The lack of speed is overcome by the higher ISO performance of the larger sensor. In favour of the Olympus, the build quality is exceptional and so is the focus speed. But pricewise, the Fuji can be bought for half the price of the Olympus thanks to Fuji's promotions.

So to justify higher pricing, maybe Olympus should offer faster lens at the same cost. But now thinking again, maybe the higher build quality and focus speed justifies the premium.
Thnaks but I do think that "Promotional Prices" shouldn't even be considered when comparing costs - after all they come and go with all suppliers...
Old 27th October 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Quote:
Hi Stephen. I can see why we have different opinion. I have been using the XE1 and EM5 and there is obvious difference in focus speed especially in low light. I have no idea how they perform with XT1 or EM1.

Sorry i didnt mention earlier but by build quality, i was refering to weather sealing which i think the Fuji isnt.
Weather sealing has nothing to do with build quality. Most Leicas aren't weatherproof, but nor are they poor build quality.

The XT-1 body is weather resistant. Most lenses aren't. Neither am I.

My Flickr site
Old 27th October 2014

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Lets not get too excited, Fuji is an excellent system and so is Olympus m4/3.
Trying to compare specific bodies and lenses is always going to result in one having a feature that betters the other and visa versa.
The bottom line is use the system that best suits you.

To be 100% honest if I had enough money and perhaps less sense I would probably have both

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr