Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 3,077 Times in 881 Posts
Are you happy with your E-M1?

There have been reports on here and elsewhere of a few problems with the E-M1. These include lock-ups, excessive noise on long exposures, blurred images and problems with the IBIS. At first glance it is a little disappointing for a new camera aimed at professional use. However, as usual in these circumstances, we tend to hear only from those owners who have had problems. I am sure there are many users who are happily shooting with their trouble-free cameras.

Speaking for myself, touch wood, I have not had any lock-ups and I don't take long exposures, so the noise is not a problem. I usually have to dump about 50 percent of my shots which are not in focus but I suspect that that is due to my technique rather than a camera fault.

Overall I am extremely happy with my E-M1. It is a delight to use, if rather complex with all the settings which can be tweaked. I love simply picking it up and handling it and I do not regret my purchase at all. I will be even happier when I can produce consistently good images with it but I think that will happen when I have the opportunity to take more photographs.

So, what do other people think of their E-M1s? Have you had any problems? If so, have they put off the camera? Do you regret your purchase or are you delighted with it?

Ron
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Are you happy with your E-M1?

My main problem has been that camera settings sometimes change unintentionally - either reverting some settings I made when the camera goes to sleep or when I have touched some part of the camera by accident. It's an advanced camera, so I'm not surprised I'm sometimes shooting myself in the foot with it (at least it doesn't hurt - much).

Focusing with FT lenses isn't always perfect, but it's good enough for me.

I have had one lockup during the first week and then none after that.

Over all, I'm happy I have the camera.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmunkki For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (23rd December 2013)
Old 23rd December 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I too have had just one lockup. That was in the first couple of weeks. I find that I am delighted with the camera. The ergonomics are first-class, and I find that it handles lenses which I had previously dismissed, such as the Panasonic 25mm and the Oly 60mm macro, far better than the E-M5 does (which I can't bring myself to sell). I'm looking forward to the spring weather and better photo opportunities to get even more out of it.

I must say, though, that having now tried it for a couple of weeks, I simply don't need the HLD7 grip. It's an encumbrance for me as I only use dedicated m4/3 lenses. I see its prime advantage being for users of the 50-200 and larger regular 4/3 lenses.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (23rd December 2013)
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

As one who has had many lock-ups (and had a replacement camera) probably because I'm one of the heaviest users of my EM-1 (up around 10k shots now) I am still delighted with the camera and what it helps me achieve

Yes, it will be nice once they have the problem(s) resolved but in the meantime I shoot something every day and the camera has become a real joy to handle and instinctive to use
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 3,077 Times in 881 Posts

I have to agree with you about the grip Stephen. The camera feels so good in the hand without it and feels so secure to hold that the grip is completely unnecessary for most of the time. I haven't tried the 50-200 on the camera much yet, as I am giving my shoulder a rest, but perhaps the grip will be useful when I do.

One thing about the camera which does annoy me is the little plastic plugs for the accessory port, hotshoe and flash sync socket. I know it is only a matter of time before I lose one or all of them.

Ron
Old 23rd December 2013

Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,307 Posts
Liked 2,345 Times in 1,116 Posts

So far really pleased and no lock-ups. I will admit to having a few shots that didn't look as sharp as I'd hoped for but I can't rule out operator error yet. Only just got my 4/3s adaptor and grip so can't really comment too widely yet as the weather hasn't been brilliant since, but putting my Leica 14-150 on it to try was quite a shock in extra weight over the 12-50 I'd been using for the last couple of months. I wish they'd make a micro version of this Leica lens. I'm sure it would cost an arm and a leg but if they did I'd gladly sell my 4/3s lenses and go micro.
Old 23rd December 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

I am simply in LURVE with ONE The images are supreme

It does Bif wonderfully and I shall be ecstatic at Red Kites in Spring/Summer

Most annoying, was lack of communications from Olympus to the Market direct here

Black outs - I thought were me until others started getting them ...

I did get the grip & adaptor the adaptor has been used a couple of times with the 11-22 lens and produced great images

At first, I was disappointed at ONEs size - I did not respect it and went back to E-5 a few times in the first two or three weeks ... gradually getting to grips with operation and receiving AWESOME IQ images ... and I realized its not the size, but the POWER and what you do with it

The Grip - I may use it for weddings - when people "scoff" at the "Tiny but of inestimable power & IQ ONE" ...

... although I really did enjoy the sniggers turned to frowns at the IG of those Whiskers on the Red Tailed Harrier and other BoP studio shoot the other week ... the owner pm'd me to check model as he had never owned an Olympus before ... and now wants one - only as a pocket camera to his Anon big heavy body and lenses ! yeah!
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
rosiebud (26th September 2016)
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 661 Times in 234 Posts

I've had just one lock-up.

I think this sums up my thoughts........http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=56347....., I posted it 30th November and I still feel the same.
Old 23rd December 2013

Quote:
although I really did enjoy the sniggers turned to frowns at the IG of those Whiskers on the Red Tailed Harrier and other BoP studio shoot the other week ...
it great fun isn't it, I had a similar reaction from a D800 user on the first, trial studio shoot. When he finally asked to see what I was getting with my funny little camera he looked at results and muttered something to the effect "why am I carrying this big lump around". Most people there were fascinated by it, particularly as some had known me as a canon user with "proper" kit and wanted to know why I had changed gear
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (23rd December 2013)
Old 23rd December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
it great fun isn't it, I had a similar reaction from a D800 user on the first, trial studio shoot. When he finally asked to see what I was getting with my funny little camera he looked at results and muttered something to the effect "why am I carrying this big lump around". Most people there were fascinated by it, particularly as some had known me as a canon user with "proper" kit and wanted to know why I had changed gear
YEAY! Great fun and glad to hear you had the same reaction - Miles is getting ONE ... just as a "pocket camera, you understand" I shall ask to see his ONE next time I am there ...

the ONE photo album
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

it has too many buttons - far to easy to alter settings without intention, forget what you have programmed them to etc

there are too many settings that get altered by other settings, although you can override change some of them - a learning/thinking experience

high ISO performance is too good (relative for Oly users) which completely changes the previous paradigm for those shooting longer glass with moving subjects!

the metering is bang on 18% everytime, which makes it my fault when I don't get the exposure I'm expecting

the underlying ergonomics are stunning - and the grip works when appropriate (mainly extensive portrait use, realy big lenses or when using an FL50 in the shoe...)

the resolution is far to good and shows up poor lenses for what they are

some of the shooting modes make my expensive, time consuming software redundant (I haven't used portrait professional since discovering e-portrait)

the EVF is simply amazing, so much so that I really miss it when it flickers when shooting sequentially.....

is it perfect

would I buy it again.........
The Following Users Liked This Post:
brian1208 (23rd December 2013), Chevvyf1 (23rd December 2013), Olybirder (23rd December 2013)
Old 23rd December 2013

Quote:
Miles is getting ONE
he finally gave in to the inevitable then
Old 23rd December 2013

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

I think my expectations were too high.
I have been doing quite a bit of gig photography over the past week or so. The only advantage is its fast frame rate.
The E620 focusses the 50-200 quicker with no hunting.
The focus can be more uncertain than the EPM-2 and I feel that the 12-40 is no better on the EPM-2 than the EM-1 and not as good as the 45mm 1.8.
I have just been dong some 2 camera timelapse. The other camera was a Panasonic G6. Its software for this task is so much better. And as it was an overnight job I was cycling through batteries and charging them. The change cycle was determined by the EM-1 whose battery ran out first and took longer to charge.
I am an astrophotographer so miss the illuminated buttons and find EVFs far too bright for working at night... but at least some of the EM-1s come with extra stars...
It has far too many external buttons ( the E-1 got it right) and I have yet to settle on putting in MySets for the multitude of options
We do not have a list of option conflicts from Olympus yet - would be such a great help

In the end though, it is just a tool and I will learn to use it and learn its strengths and limitations for the work I am doing and yes, I will buy the 40-150 2.8 when it appears.

Another thing is that I do not have any real knowledge of the Canikons and their strengths and weaknesses so the grass may look greener but is it? Where can you find a real impartial comparison site

( just [still] waiting for my grip and MMF-3 now to see if they are of any help)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crimbo For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (23rd December 2013), Wee man (23rd December 2013)
Old 23rd December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
it has too many buttons - far to easy to alter settings without intention, forget what you have programmed them to etc

there are too many settings that get altered by other settings, although you can override change some of them - a learning/thinking experience

high ISO performance is too good (relative for Oly users) which completely changes the previous paradigm for those shooting longer glass with moving subjects!

the metering is bang on 18% everytime, which makes it my fault when I don't get the exposure I'm expecting

the underlying ergonomics are stunning - and the grip works when appropriate (mainly extensive portrait use, realy big lenses or when using an FL50 in the shoe...)

the resolution is far to good and shows up poor lenses for what they are

some of the shooting modes make my expensive, time consuming software redundant (I haven't used portrait professional since discovering e-portrait)

the EVF is simply amazing, so much so that I really miss it when it flickers when shooting sequentially.....

is it perfect

would I buy it again.........

I am printing mine business card size and laminating it and attaching it to the neckstrap with my lens cloth in its sleeve THEN I have not lost them in a RESET/Black out/lock up or just squeezing the wrong button at the right time ...

the ONE photo album
Old 23rd December 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post

In the end though, it is just a tool and I will learn to use it and learn its strengths and limitations for the work I am doing
That's a wise approach. I've never yet had a perfect tool for any job. I've never yet had a hammer that didn't bang some nails in at an awkward angle or bend the nail halfway. I've never yet had a saw that didn't sometimes veer away from the line I had drawn. I've never yet had a drill that didn't sometimes go off-centre from where I wanted the hole. I can't understand it, I always buy the most expensive premium branded tools and yet often they behave in my hands no better than cheap, unbranded equivalents bought from a boot fair.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
brian1208 (23rd December 2013), dogsbody (23rd December 2013), Grumpy Hec (24th April 2014), Olybirder (23rd December 2013), Ralph Harwood (24th December 2013), StephenL (23rd December 2013), Wee man (22nd January 2014)