Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 31st August 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,272 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts
Re: One thing many existing Olympus users expect from the new camera - BIF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
As you know, I am viewing anik for their CAF with focus lock - if this were not so useful (albeit, not essential) for Birds in Flight then those cameras would not have sold so high in volume to Bif Togs

Thus, the icing on the cake, for me would be PDAF and a lighter version of the 90-250 (the current 90-250 and 300 are terrific shg BUT so heavy and Bif are mostly handheld, whilst I am happy with the E-5 and not needing a lighter OM-D EM-5 yet I am not into weight training with 3Kg of SHG as it is sooo unbalanced

I do wonder if the ? 75-300 m4/3 lens would work with the E-5 but I think there is a tech reason thats a no-no ??? Ian can you help me there ? please
You can use Four Thirds lenses on Micro Four Thirds cameras using an adapter, which is fundamentally a spacer tube, but not the other way around because a Micro Four Thirds lens has to be closer to the sensor than a Four Thirds body permits.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (31st August 2013)
Old 31st August 2013

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,134 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote:
I do wonder if the ? 75-300 m4/3 lens would work with the E-5 but I think there is a tech reason thats a no-no ??? Ian can you help me there ? please
Unfortunately, no M4/3's lenses can be used on any of the E DSLR's with a 'flappy' mirror in between because M4/3's lenses sit much closer to the sensor (by 19mm) which can't happen on your E5.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 31st August 2013

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
I think that technique and understanding the characteristics of a particular species' flight pattern are key skills in BIF. However while it is possible to accurately track most birds, especially the larger species and some smaller ones, these are not the only factors you need for birds from the Swallow/Martin group. as they hunt on the wing and are very fast their flight track is almost completely unpredictable as they will instantly change direction to catch an insect that the photographer can't even see. In this case getting it in the viewfinder is difficult and keeping it there is even more so and mostly one shot is all you can get. A camera that can lock focus in a split second on a fast moving bird is vital, at least for me, and of all the cameras I have owned the one that does the business is the Canon 7D ( the 5D MkIII is even better). Olympus has never for me come anywhere near this performance, even though the IQ of the E-M5 matches the Canon. With the reported 81 AF points it is hoped that the new offering from Olympus can match the performance and hopefully exceed the Canon.

No apologies for these shots taken on the Canon with the EF 400mm f5.6 (no IS) as they illustrate the results I am hoping the new E-M1 can achieve:

David
Having just tried to take some photos of swallows before they depart back to Africa, all I can say is 'wow, great shots' - swallows really are a great test of all the skills that you mention. And I can rank them along with bees for testing the ability of the photographer and his/her camera gear!
  • A lot of birds do have a regular pattern to their flight, so recognising this can help pre-predict where to focus the camera and how to track the bird.
  • A large number of tracking focus points will then back up the pre-prediction to enhance and ensure the best tracking of the bird.
  • And backing up the camera with good focus lock is the need for the photographer to be able to clearly see and visually track the bird in flight whatever the weather conditions, which is where a good optical viewfinder tends to be preferred - the latest electronic viewfinders may be getting there but Live View on the LCD screen is not the ideal in bright sunlight!
  • And mention of the Live View / electronic viewfinders leads on to the next concern, speed of shutter button reaction - no way can I rely on Live View for a speedy reaction, hopefully this is a non-existant issue on the latest electronic viewfinders but, in the interaction between brain, subject's flight pattern, electronics, and shutter release, any delay has to be minimal.
  • A big zoom photographing a bird 'close up' against a smaller HQ fixed focal length lens photographing a bird further away, can be counter-productive as the ability of the photographer to turn swiftly while continuously tracking the bird to then get a good shot, should be weighed up against the ability to react with less speed and then later crop during editing. Tracking a swallow is the best test of either approach as I know how quickly they jink, twist and turn and I admire anyone who can 'grab' a shot of them using the full frame of a big telephoto!
  • And whichever lens used, cropping during post shoot editing will be a factor that highlights the quality of the camera and its focusing, the ability of the software to ensure or recover detail in the cropped shot, and the ability of the photographer in how many 'keepers' there are.
  • With the faster moving or smaller subjects such as swallows or bees, there almost inevitably will be a large proportion of 'binned' images, but surprisingly even with larger objects, such as low level aircraft, I am surprised how often my E-30 and telephoto zoom lens combo can lose focus (often at the critical moment of the 'star shot' of the day moment!!). Certain environmental factors such as bright light reflecting off the aircraft or haze seems to be possible key factors in these cases.
So, the reason for many four thirds users interest in how well the new camera focuses and reacts is hopefully something that the new camera will address and answer. The focus and exposure capabilities of the Canon enthusiast/pro cameras are something that I come across regularly in my interests, but I do feel that my E-30/Sigma 70-200mm APO combo has held its ground because I have to use my wits to pre-predict, plan and think before taking the shots.
Aviation, sports and wildlife photography is not necessarily the 'bee all and end all' (sic) for most of us, but it is a key part of why the DSLR has a future as technology stands at the moment - but will the new Olympus challenge that?
And here's my shot

Regards
Chris
Old 31st August 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Chris that is a STUNNING IMAGE WoW !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
catkins (1st September 2013)
Old 31st August 2013

Liked 331 Times in 159 Posts

Ian I think you are baiting us so take this.

There are some stunning BIF here. It is a shame that some of the most difficult are not taken with an Olympus.

I agree with Ian and what others are saying that there is a skill as with all types of photography. Itís about having the eye watching the light. But for BIF the first thing you need is location ,then you need to get close, then you need the right equipment and skill to use it and finally you need to watch study the movements and loads of time and patience. Birds have different types of flying patterns different sizes some fast some slow some flap like the clappers others hardly flap at all. So for me there is a lot to try and capture. I have said that location is important and I try to visit places that cater for birdwatching photography. The one thing I have noticed is that when I go to such events I have never seen another Oly E system user. It does suggest to me that Oly is not up to the mark for BIF. I would love to see the others output but never do.

Here are a few I have taken. There are some more in my gallery.

This one worked because of AFC. I had been watching this heron but missed its strike. I heard it splash, I turned round saw and held the shutter button down and got a whole set of pictures.

You need to get close. Its not always about long telephoto lenses this one used a 12-60mmswd at 12mm AFC. Just held the camera out paparazzi stile

Not all BIF need AFC this was take using MF.

Do you want singles

Doubles

Trebles

or flocks.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 31st August 2013

Quote:
No apologies for these shots taken on the Canon with the EF 400mm f5.6 (no IS) as they illustrate the results I am hoping the new E-M1 can achieve:

David
This is what Olympus need to do to keep me giving them more money. These are great shots David I wish they were taken on an E System.

The best I can offer is this one.

John

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 31st August 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Ian, I have no way of accurately measuring the actual burst rate on the Canon using CAF (Servo) but I set it at H which is officially 8fps and it seems to be about that, slows down after about 10-12 RAW shots. Interestingly the 7D has a function which apparently maintains AF during H burst setting.

Another important point about BIF is that it is sometimes worth using a shorter focal length than the 300mm we seem to aspire to - much easier to track and AF, and most modern camera images can stand the extra cropping.

David
Old 31st August 2013

Quote:
Another important point about BIF is that it is sometimes worth using a shorter focal length than the 300mm we seem to aspire to - much easier to track and AF, and most modern camera images can stand the extra cropping.

David
David I totally agree. We tend to think because we have 300mm zoom lens we should use it full zoom. I think you are best to take a wider angle view with BIF and only when you consistently hit the bird in the frame to slowly start to zoom in. BIF are all about practice in panning.

John

Old 31st August 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I did hear the E-5 was Olympus' best C-AF Tracking camera but it required some rather exact settings to get it to work,
settings found by trial-and-error and not really specified in the proper manual.

Someone has a site with it all, but it cropped up on a DPReview thread and there's no way I could find it now...
Old 31st August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
David I totally agree. We tend to think because we have 300mm zoom lens we should use it full zoom. I think you are best to take a wider angle view with BIF and only when you consistently hit the bird in the frame to slowly start to zoom in. BIF are all about practice in panning.

John
I found this for sure when I hired a 300 from Ian a few months ago

I am wondering what the 75-300 will be like on the new OM-1 for Bif sounds like a veritable bargain to me if it works ...

the ONE photo album
Old 31st August 2013

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
I found this for sure when I hired a 300 from Ian a few months ago

I am wondering what the 75-300 will be like on the new OM-1 for Bif sounds like a veritable bargain to me if it works ...
All mine were with 75-300 and this was the first time I tried doing BIF. I suspect somebody with more skills could do well with it.
Old 31st August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
All mine were with 75-300 and this was the first time I tried doing BIF. I suspect somebody with more skills could do well with it.
ahh! Shirley thanks for that ... I wonder how that 75-300 lens is made up ... and if it shall be capable of whizzing more on the new OM-D EM-1 and maybe it can operate on a Telephoto extender ???

Does that 75-300 work at full sharp end (unlike the 70-300 4/3 which worked to 220 max)

Ian ? do you know ?

the ONE photo album
Old 31st August 2013

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Sorry, but I don't know the answers to the techie stuff, all I can tell you is that the first pic was at 75mm, second at 220 and the farne island one at 300. Perhaps somebody who knows the definitive answer can get back to you.
Old 31st August 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Sorry, but I don't know the answers to the techie stuff, all I can tell you is that the first pic was at 75mm, second at 220 and the farne island one at 300. Perhaps somebody who knows the definitive answer can get back to you.
Thank you for that Shirley ... I shall look forward to more Techie info from ... our Ian ? maybe

the ONE photo album
Old 31st August 2013

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts