Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Closed Thread

Old 8th April 2012

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: Foto Fair -Vs- Looking for Perfection ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Chris, Nick omitted one word - BRILLIANT ! It has "local" edit tools
ps only those who have it know this !
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
So has Lightroom, na na na na na!
Quote:
Ah! ha! Dave, I do not know Lightroom
I do and I have both!!

And I can say that CO6 has the the advantage of being able to do it's local edits on separate layers and the ability to copy those edit masks to another blank layer and also invert that mask if you want. It allows you a lot more control once you get used to it than LR's local edits.

LR is a bit like the Canikon, it gets the most publicity so most of the herd follow thinking it must be so and trumpet it's greatness without trying anything else and so it goes on.

Now that must sound familiar to some Oly users, but some of us know different.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 8th April 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,270 Posts
Liked 1,705 Times in 772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Personally I have no issue at all with people uploading edited versions of my pics, to me it is just another way of offering suggestions and it is much easier to understand what people mean. Having said that I do understand that some sites discourage this, I can only assume that is due to concerns over plagerism.

I don't really understand the difference between explaining the changes which could be made and showing them by posting an edited pic, it's quicker than second guessing what somebody means. I think that 'Looking for perfection' section is perfectly clear, the notes explain clearly that it is for images on which you are looking for helpful critique, so if somebody does not want critique or suggestions then it should not be placed in that section.

On a slightly different note I stopped posting in this section following a message I received from somebody, who no longer appears to be active, suggesting I should not put my pics in that section because they were no where near perfect. I didn't think they were but I love getting feedback and seeing how others could improve my pics, it helps me next time. I now stick to Foto Fair, but I may start posting in Looking for Perfection again as I miss the critique.

I hope all my ramblings make sense. I suppose the bottom line for me is if you want feedback and critique post in Looking for Perfection and if somebody wants to edit my pic and repost to show me what they mean I think that is great.
Sorry am a late participant in this thread!

First of all, Shirley - I wouldn't let the disrespectful comments of one person force me to do anything.

There is no law that dictates what you can and can't do concerning editing and re-posting posted images in order to contribute to the debate. I, personally - unless I know the poster well - would ask permission. But for clarity, we could make it a condition of posting that posted images can be re-edited for the purposes of the debate.

We could even set up a new board for this very purpose.

What do you think?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 8th April 2012

Liked 948 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Sorry am a late participant in this thread!

But for clarity, we could make it a condition of posting that posted images can be re-edited for the purposes of the debate.

What do you think?

Ian
Agree, it should become a condition of posting on that forum.
Old 8th April 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I definitely agree with that too.
Old 8th April 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Ian, Yes please from ME ! Thanks what shall you call the new Board ?
... and when shall we celebrate its arrival ? Perhaps the image John aka Musicman has in mind for an Easter Challange could start it off ?
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 8th April 2012

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

I've already had a quick play with John's image! All good fun, and I've posted it in the Easter Competition thread.

I don't consider the "Looking for Perfection" forum to mean that you think your photo is already near perfect...to me it's when you know that you have something reasonable, but just need help to get the best out of it. Sometimes all it needs is for someone to look at it from an objective point of view and point out the flaws that you might have missed, and hopefully suggest room for improvement.

I'd also suggest that "Looking for Perfection" should be used for photos that you are having problems with....just because it has perfection in the title shouldn't mean that you consider a photo near perfect to post it there. It's the one section of the forum that actually invites constructive critique and advice. Foto Fair is great for simply posting photos that may be interesting, informative or just pure fun, but it's a "given" on there that critique and criticism are not required.

If I'm ever brave enough to post something in "Looking for Perfection" then I'd be delighted if someone was to take my photo and edit it - it's so much simpler to see what effect they are talking about...

Actually, if I posted something in Foto Fair which was critiqued, I wouldn't mind in the slightest! I'm here to learn, and without feedback on my photos from the rest of you good people, I'd never get anywhere!

Janet

Old 8th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I've already had a quick play with John's image! All good fun, and I've posted it in the Easter Competition thread.

Aw! schucks! I have not see it yet :rolleyes:

I don't consider the "Looking for Perfection" forum to mean that you think your photo is already near perfect...to me it's when you know that you have something reasonable, but just need help to get the best out of it. Sometimes all it needs is for someone to look at it from an objective point of view and point out the flaws that you might have missed, and hopefully suggest room for improvement.

I think this of LfP too Janet

Foto Fair is great for simply posting photos that may be interesting, informative or just pure fun, but it's a "given" on there that critique and criticism are not required.

Me too AGAIN I think this of LfP too Janet

If I'm ever brave enough to post something in "Looking for Perfection" then I'd be delighted if someone was to take my photo and edit it - it's so much simpler to see what effect they are talking about...

Actually, if I posted something in Foto Fair which was critiqued, I wouldn't mind in the slightest! I'm here to learn, and without feedback on my photos from the rest of you good people, I'd never get anywhere!

Janet
??? Everyone and Ian, do you think we should have Photo Fun just for fun images - sometimes with a story - posted not as great works or for help to improve but Just for Fun (maybe sharing a place or event with others here) - I feel many of those I post, fall into this category (they are snapshots maybe/not sharp) and I shall not be offended if hundreds agree with me ?

the ONE photo album
Old 8th April 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Ah! ha! Dave, I do not know Lightroom
Only those that have it know this.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th April 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
??? Everyone and Ian, do you think we should have Photo Fun just for fun images - sometimes with a story - posted not as great works or for help to improve but Just for Fun (maybe sharing a place or event with others here) - I feel many of those I post, fall into this category (they are snapshots maybe/not sharp) and I shall not be offended if hundreds agree with me ?
I tend to think Foto Fair already encompasses this. We could, in theory, have as many different boards as we like to cover all eventualities but there's a danger of even more confusion as a result.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th April 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I tend to think Foto Fair already encompasses this. We could, in theory, have as many different boards as we like to cover all eventualities but there's a danger of even more confusion as a result.
I tend to agree with John here.

It is easy enough for me to create a new board specifically for this, but we must ensure we don't inadvertently add confusion to the mix!

Old 8th April 2012

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

I do think another board may add to the confusion. My preference would be simply to ask posters to state that they are happy for images to be edited and re posted for the purpose of demonstrating editing options, that way it should be more difficult to inadvertently cause offence. Just my own two penn'th
Old 8th April 2012

Great feedback - so thats a NO more ..

the ONE photo album
Old 8th April 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Here's a thought.

You know how we have the regular eGroup challenge with a different topic each time, chosen by the previous winner. Well... why not have a regular challenge but based on 'Edit this image as much as you like'..?

I'd participate in that.

Old 8th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Here's a thought.

You know how we have the regular eGroup challenge with a different topic each time, chosen by the previous winner. Well... why not have a regular challenge but based on 'Edit this image as much as you like'..?

I'd participate in that.
Good thought John I would be up for that and I expect it will be very popular on wet weekends or cold periods of life but could the close/start day be a Tuesday or Wednesday ? this would give folks busy at the weekend a few evenings after work (for those who have to work ... I think lots of us are retired )

the ONE photo album
Old 8th April 2012

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post

I'd also suggest that "Looking for Perfection" should be used for photos that you are having problems with....just because it has perfection in the title shouldn't mean that you consider a photo near perfect to post it there. It's the one section of the forum that actually invites constructive critique and advice. Foto Fair is great for simply posting photos that may be interesting, informative or just pure fun, but it's a "given" on there that critique and criticism are not required.

Janet
I always used to think that LfP was for our top images..........but this is clearly not the case. If I have an image that has done well for me in club competitions (camera club) or has got into a Salon, and I want to show the world, where should I post it then?

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Closed Thread