Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-400

Olympus E-400 E-400 specific discussion.

Old 4th January 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: CF Cards

Maybe off topic a little but the implication here is that we should be removing cards to read the information to the computer. I often muse whether we should actually do this or is it a throw back to the use of floppy disks and CDs etc. All too often we are reading of bent pins and card slot problems and these stem from this constant removal and re-insertion of memory cards.

So is it just a bad habit or do we really need to take them out and use a seperate card reader rather than the USB cord?
Old 4th January 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom124 View Post
Maybe off topic a little but the implication here is that we should be removing cards to read the information to the computer. I often muse whether we should actually do this or is it a throw back to the use of floppy disks and CDs etc. All too often we are reading of bent pins and card slot problems and these stem from this constant removal and re-insertion of memory cards.

So is it just a bad habit or do we really need to take them out and use a seperate card reader rather than the USB cord?
I've used CF cards since around 1998, sometimes several times a day, and never a bent pin. But then I treat all my equipment with the care it deserves.

Transferring direct from the camera presents a few problems - it's usually much slower than a dedicated card reader, it uses up the batteries in the camera, it means finding extra space on your desk or you risk knocking the camera onto the floor, it prevents you using the camera whilst the file transfer is going on (assuming you have more than one card).

Of course you can bend pins if you abuse kit - when I was in IT support, I once had a user successfully insert a vga cable upside down in a pc video card slot. How she managed it I don't know - she was only a slight girl but it took me all my force to get it back out!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 4th January 2012

Liked 335 Times in 85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I've used CF cards since around 1998, sometimes several times a day, and never a bent pin. But then I treat all my equipment with the care it deserves.
I've managed to bend a pin in a cheapo card reader, which has now made me very much more careful about how I re-insert the CF card into the camera.

Quote:
I once had a user successfully insert a vga cable upside down in a pc video card slot. How she managed it I don't know - she was only a slight girl but it took me all my force to get it back out!
She sounds as if she subscribed to the same system as my mother-in-law: if something doesn't fit smoothly and easily, apply increasing amounts of force, up to and including hitting it (with a hammer if necessary) until it does. She finds this technique is especially suitable for delicate electrical equipment, but it can also be used for doors, drawers, cupboards, batteries, locks, etc etc. How I do look forward to her extended visits each Christmas.
Old 14th January 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I've had my refund on the Kingston card, including the original postage I paid for the item. So ordered a Sandisk, 16gb 30mbs ultra card (as a back up for the existing Sandisk I have) which arrived today from Amazon. Reasonably priced at 38.80, free postage.

Put the card into the camera, & after a few seconds initialising, all systems go, it even said the same as the other Sandisk, 724 images available. Took a quick snap, grabbed a card reader & no problem with it. So one happy bunny here tonight!

Turbogirlie (aka Kaz)

E-400
E-3
Scirocco MkII GTX
Kawasaki GPz550
Living on the Herefordshire/Shropshire/Welsh Borders & feeling very lucky to have such fantastic countryside on the doorstep!