Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Third party battery failure for OM-D EM5 II

Hello,

Has anyone else had the same problem as Iím having with Hahnel and its third party batteries?

When I bought my OM-D E-M5 II from Jessops, it came with the Olympus battery (naturally) and I also bought a Hahnel HL-ON1.

That HL-ON1 has now swollen so it jams if I put it into the camera, and shows the flashing error light on the Olympus charger.

Iíve contacted Hahnel about replacing it as it failed within 7 months of purchase, but the reply I got is; ďDue to the fact that the postal system will not accept a lithium ion battery you will not be able to return this to us. You will need to arrange a replacement with your place of purchase.Ē

Given that in another thread ďThird party batteries for the EM1ii (and EM1X)Ē thereís discussion of buying batteries from a whole range of other suppliers which are presumably sent through some form of carrier, then can anyone vouch for the postal system delivering batteries from supplier to customer so that I can contest Hahnelís grounds for avoiding dealing with my request for a replacement battery.

And their response begs the question of how Hahnel expect Jessops to get my battery back to Hahnel once Iíve got it to Jessops.

Comments gratefully received.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 400 Times in 113 Posts
Re: Third party battery failure for OM-D EM5 II

I looked this up recently as I have a couple of spares from my old camera that I don't need. As I recall, new batteries in their original packaging can be posted, so it's ok buying new ones.
Unfortunately used loose batteries can't be posted. The only legal way of posting used ones is with the electronic device they power, when you then can send 1 battery loaded and 2 spares.

That's as I remember anyway - best to check yourself though... Memory like a sieve!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 518 Times in 266 Posts

Can't return used batteries ..... Makes a mockery of guarantees when bought other than a b&m shop, doesn't it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts

From where did you buy the battery, was that Jessops as well as the camera?
I believe your warranty lies with the vendor, rather than manufacturer/wholesaler.
It's up to them how they deal with getting the battery back to Hahnel if they want it returned.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Andel (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Chris, Keith, Bill,

Many thanks for replying so quickly and for your advice. It sounds as if Hahnel have covered themselves thanks to the refusal of the parcel services to carry batteries outside of their intended devices.

I'll approach Jessops and see how helpful they're feeling; yes, Bill, I bought the spare battery from Jessops when I bought the camera, so they are the vendors.

Now if used batteries can only be sent inside the device they're designed for, I guess that means that all third party batteries bought from online-only retailers are a one-way transaction; you can never return them if they develop a fault.

Or else you need to send your camera body back with the battery inside - not an ideal solution.

Cheers all,

Russell
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 518 Times in 266 Posts

Thinking about it, and in all fairness, if a battery needs to be returned to a postal vendor ....... the Post Office hasn't a clue what's in a parcel so just send it and see what happens. If they refuse to deliver it, nothing lost, you wouldn't get it changed anyway,. If it does get there then it's worth it.

Am I wrong in thinking that
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 114 Times in 76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Thinking about it, and in all fairness, if a battery needs to be returned to a postal vendor ....... the Post Office hasn't a clue what's in a parcel so just send it and see what happens. If they refuse to deliver it, nothing lost, you wouldn't get it changed anyway,. If it does get there then it's worth it.

Am I wrong in thinking that
Yes you are wrong, they have scanners and will destroy a parcel containing illicit items.
I know of two people that this has happened to when sending loose secondhand batteries.

Also why ignore the rules that could potentially put lives at risk
Mail is often carried by plane and these batteries especially faulty ones can explode.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,633 Times in 1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Yes you are wrong, they have scanners and will destroy a parcel containing illicit items.
I know of two people that this has happened to when sending loose secondhand batteries.
So how do they tell the difference with their scanner, between a package containing a legitimate new battery, and a package containing an illegitimate secondhand one?

Jim
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post

Also why ignore the rules that could potentially put lives at risk
Mail is often carried by plane and these batteries especially faulty ones can explode.
Now I accept that this is a slightly false scenario, as one wouldn't normally clout a battery with a roofing hammer, but they have been known to do this spontaneously as well.
This was a discharged faulty battery out of a mobile phone. As you can see it had expanded, much like the ones being discussed, though a camera Lithium Ion battery is enclosed and restrained by its rigid plastic case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_YG...ature=youtu.be

How does one get the above link to display within the post in its own youtube panel, as seen in other posts?

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
So how do they tell the difference with their scanner, between a package containing a legitimate new battery, and a package containing an illegitimate secondhand one?

Jim
No idea, maybe it was batteries not in the correct packaging and no warning label affixed.
Does it matter, why ignore the rules just because you don't like them
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,438 Posts
Liked 1,436 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
The outside of the packaging indicates that there are battereries inside.

Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,137 Times in 1,142 Posts

My first advice would be, don't buy third party batteries & if you do, then you must have got it several times cheaper than the Olympus battery, so ....... move on & buy the recommended Olympus battery & then it isn't likely to swell as it uses correct protection circuitry when charging, something that may not be the case in that battery & was likely overcharged.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Apart from all the aspects raised on this thread there is one definitive answer.
You bought the battery from Jessops and it's their responsibility to deal with it.

Not sure why you ever contacted the manufacturer, seems an unusual thing to do.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,633 Times in 1,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
The outside of the packaging indicates that there are battereries inside.

I've bought several new batteries and they've never had warnings on the external packaging.

Jim
The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 325 Times in 134 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

The batteries I got for my EM1ii came in properly marked packages. The rules seem quite clear that if a battery is defective you cannot post it. No matter what it is, if something goes wrong it is up to the vendor not the importer or manufacturer to sort the problem.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii