Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 1st May 2014

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts
Re: How is Pythagoras so wrong

1001 out of 1010 for that!

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following User Liked This Post:
theMusicMan (2nd May 2014)
Old 2nd May 2014

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

John did you really say PLAN I haven't heard of that in a long time. As long as they don't introduce PERI to upload to the Forum (I won't bother to explain, only 10 people understood them and that's also in binary!)
Jim
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 2nd May 2014

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabeej View Post
John did you really say PLAN I haven't heard of that in a long time. As long as they don't introduce PERI to upload to the Forum (I won't bother to explain, only 10 people understood them and that's also in binary!)
Jim
Blimey, PERI. As long as you don't forget to SUSBY before you PERI the next block (bitter memory).

Now this really is off topic - remember Double Buffering? A way of speeding up peripheral processing. A great tutor we had explained it thus:

Imagine you've got behind the bar and you can help yourself to beer, but you only have one glass. You have to pour your pint, then start to drink it and wait until you've finished before you start to pour the next one. But imagine if you have TWO glasses. You can be pouring the next pint while you're still drinking the first. Much better.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 2nd May 2014

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
Ditto.

<surprisingly on-topic vignette>
3 years ago were having a (lots of) drink in Matt Malloys bar in Westport, on the west coast of Ireland. An impressive silver haired irish bloke, irish-drunk in the style of Richard Harris, was giving it the blarney at the bar, draped between two impressive American women. For some reason I said "I've got to oh-seven-four to the loo" 074 was the ICL octal code for "Go To" in their programming language PLAN. On hearing this Mr Blarney immediately put the two American women down, and shouted PLAN!!" He used to teach it in Dublin, so we spent the evening discussing ICL computers and drinking Guiness. Oh bliss.

How many people do you need in an Irish bar so that there's an evens chance of two of them knowing the octal for an ICL 1900 branch instruction?

<end vignette>
#074 = BRN surely!

OK I suppose that was GO TO in words that non-assembler level coders would understand. But what's the chance of 3 PLAN programmers turning up on an Olympus forum?

Now here's a long shot - did you work for Tyne and Wear CC? 1904S they had if I remember correctly.
Old 2nd May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
#074 = BRN surely!

OK I suppose that was GO TO in words that non-assembler level coders would understand. But what's the chance of 3 PLAN programmers turning up on an Olympus forum?
Indeed, BRN. I was trying to keep Cobol programmers interested

Quote:
Now here's a long shot - did you work for Tyne and Wear CC? 1904S they had if I remember correctly.
Streuth , I did , I was a systems programmer, I took over from John George IIRC. Mixed grill stotties and the Royal Archer. Great times. The ex Chief Analyst lives not far from me.

Yourself?

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

Flickr gallery
Old 2nd May 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Many hundreds of thousands of 80 column cards and enough 1 inch, 8 hole, paper tape to go around the world, and then some, we progressed to the 8" floppy disk with 128k of storage of 16-Bit Words in Radix-50 format.

We grew up and lived with DEC for a while, but switched to HP when we very quickly saw the use that could be made of portable systems such as the HP9825A. Even now I'm impressed at how much we did with those machines and the advances made.

While HPL was very good (for its day) the introduction of the HP 9826 & 36 using the modular Rocky Mountain Basic, provided the systems on which we developed many extensive suites of programmes.

While the kids of today can run rings around me, just using their thumbs, I really am quite proud of having been in at the beginning and knowing how it all works inside.

I guess even nostalgia is not what it used to be...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 3rd May 2014
mike_j

You were lucky to start with such modern stuff! My first introduction to computers was the Ferranti Pegasus. It used banks of ECC82 valves if I remember correctly, Wikipaedia reminds me that it had 56 words of fast memory stored in nickel delay lines, which was supplemented by a magnetic drum holding 5120 words.

It was in the Hydrology building at Southampton University but we Electrical Engineers were allowed in under armed guard occasionally.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Bikie John (3rd May 2014), Graham_of_Rainham (3rd May 2014)
Old 3rd May 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

I still have, somewhere in the garage, a piece of memory from one the first computers I was allowed to use:

It has 1024 ferrite cores, arranged in 4 groups. The logic was +1 and -1 as the magnetism rotated in one direction or the other.

Not sure how true it was, but we were told that the frames were assembled by women in Portugal that had the skills to make the very fine lace, so could thread the three wires through each core.

Because it got warm, often insects would crawl around inside and some would do damage. Allegedly it coined the phrase "There's a bug in the system", but I believe that phrase may have originated with telephone relays and the like...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 3rd May 2014
mike_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I still have, somewhere in the garage, a piece of memory from one the first computers I was allowed to use:

It has 1024 ferrite cores, arranged in 4 groups. The logic was +1 and -1 as the magnetism rotated in one direction or the other.

Not sure how true it was, but we were told that the frames were assembled by women in Portugal that had the skills to make the very fine lace, so could thread the three wires through each core.

Because it got warm, often insects would crawl around inside and some would do damage. Allegedly it coined the phrase "There's a bug in the system", but I believe that phrase may have originated with telephone relays and the like...
Is it Apple or PC fit?
Old 3rd May 2014

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts

With development and updating of their skill base maybe the ladies now fix m4/3 cameras?

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Graham_of_Rainham (3rd May 2014)
Old 3rd May 2014

Having seen how long it takes to update the firmware on a 4/3 camera I sometimes wonder if the things use ferrite core memory.

Flickr gallery
Old 3rd May 2014

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
Indeed, BRN. I was trying to keep Cobol programmers interested

Streuth , I did , I was a systems programmer, I took over from John George IIRC. Mixed grill stotties and the Royal Archer. Great times. The ex Chief Analyst lives not far from me.

Yourself?
I worked for ICL for about 15 years. I worked in Leeds and Manchester, at first as a PLAN programmer. We were writing the DBMS that would be used by the online portion of LAMIS, a database system we were keen to flog to local authorities. We used to go to the Headingly test matches and I remember a bloke called Eric Etherington who was computer manager at Tyne and Wear (I think) used to come with us. He could sup some stuff could Eric. He might have been Hetherington, but the H was certainly silent if he was.
Old 3rd May 2014

Quote:
I worked for ICL for about 15 years. I worked in Leeds and Manchester, at first as a PLAN programmer. We were writing the DBMS that would be used by the online portion of LAMIS, a database system we were keen to flog to local authorities. We used to go to the Headingly test matches and I remember a bloke called Eric Etherington who was computer manager at Tyne and Wear (I think) used to come with us. He could sup some stuff could Eric. He might have been Hetherington, but the H was certainly silent if he was.
Yep, Eric Hetherington, best boss I ever had. We did a lot of training to be able to sup that much beer.

Flickr gallery
bilbo (3rd May 2014)