Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Motion pictures - video and animation > Movie mode - technical discussions

Movie mode - technical discussions Still imaging is complicated enough but for most of us video and movie making is a whole new world to get to grips with - here is the place to request help and advice and to post it too.

Old 27th September 2013

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Re: EM 1 updates?

Sounds like the value of my old iPod touch may be on the way up. As this runs iOS it should be able to control the E-M1 as good as any smartphone!

Simon
Old 27th September 2013

Thanked 1,421 Times in 1,311 Posts
Liked 2,348 Times in 1,118 Posts

Hey my daughter has an old ipod touch she doesn't use anymore. Sounds like she's going to misplace it soon
Old 27th September 2013

Liked 116 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
The Olympus AC-3 costs 99.99 at SRS. The only difference between it and a standard 15-ish 9v adapter appears to be the proprietary connector. I find it really outrageous that manufacturers can get away with this sort of rip-off, and it's not only Olympus - my Panasonic "smart" TV will only work with the dedicated USB Wi-Fi adapter that costs over 60 yet is pretty much identical to generic ones that cost a tiny fraction of that price. If the TV doesn't see the specific bit of information that tells it it's a genuine Panasonic adapter, it won't recognise it.

I can understand manufacturers wanting to protect their products (and customers!) from possible damage by making the accessories specific to those products, but why do they feel the need to charge such a huge premium over standard parts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The HLD-7 grip's 9V DC port doesn't look particularly standard but I would assume a cheaper alternative to the 'official' power supply would be possible.

Ian
I agree...the Oly power supply is too expensive. I've been unable to find any alternative or information to enable a self-build.
Old 28th September 2013

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
I agree...the Oly power supply is too expensive. I've been unable to find any alternative or information to enable a self-build.
The connector will probably be impossible to obtain unless an after-market supplier had sufficient demand to make one & that is not very likely.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 28th September 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Hey my daughter has an old ipod touch she doesn't use anymore. Sounds like she's going to misplace it soon
Phill, it is quite wonderful when the child grows up and out of toys and gifts these redundant toys back to the parent ... better still when they start TREATING US OLDIES
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 28th September 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsa View Post
My brother and I both have been using EM5's and both are getting the EM1. However things I might like to see as possible additions to firmware/hardware would be
  • mains powered grip unit to allow for long time lapse projects
  • Firmware to include a Neutral Density software option
  • simple remote control hand unit for those that don't have a smart phone

any more?
Not sure why you'd want a pro body like the E-M1 to have a built in ND filter like the X100's of this world, Zach Arias may think the Fuji means that DSLR's are dead for him, but I bet he still modifys the image from his medium format camera...

OM-D E-M5 and lots of other things to to bash into it in the bag (usually a Billingham Hadley Pro)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jetset95 For This Useful Post:
jamsa (28th September 2013)
Old 28th September 2013

Liked 893 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Sounds like the value of my old iPod touch may be on the way up. As this runs iOS it should be able to control the E-M1 as good as any smartphone!

Simon
I'd like to be wrong but I think the touch will run the app and function inside an established wifi network but will not be able to set up a wifi hotspot and act as the router itself.

I have a similar issue with my ipad. Apple don't put the control into the device unless it has a 3G capability (I have the wifi version). I had the same degree of frustration with GPS which also only comes in the mobile versions and I see the logic (and the pennies saved by Apple). But GPS is a very simple add in!

I don't have a smartphone and so have begun to look at battery powered routers to set up a wifi hotspot (without internet) in the field and control an EM1 remotely from a hide using my ipad.

I shall be trying it out in the garden first, but if anyone does this already with their camera I would welcome advice. I feel reluctant to get a smartphone on some crazy contract to set up a command and control system. I have setup a domestic wifi network without internet for music before and hope this is similarly straightforward....

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 28th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,534 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 1,715 Times in 774 Posts

For Apple devices you need iOS 4.3 or later. One of my daughters has an iPod Touch Gen 2 (corrected - O orginally thought it was a Gen 3) and she says she can't install apps at all any more with that. My other daughter has a Gen 4 (although it might be a Gen 3); she's out today but I will try to install the OIS app on that tomorrow.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 28th September 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
I'd like to be wrong but I think the touch will run the app and function inside an established wifi network but will not be able to set up a wifi hotspot and act as the router itself.

I have a similar issue with my ipad. Apple don't put the control into the device unless it has a 3G capability (I have the wifi version). I had the same degree of frustration with GPS which also only comes in the mobile versions and I see the logic (and the pennies saved by Apple). But GPS is a very simple add in!

I don't have a smartphone and so have begun to look at battery powered routers to set up a wifi hotspot (without internet) in the field and control an EM1 remotely from a hide using my ipad.

I shall be trying it out in the garden first, but if anyone does this already with their camera I would welcome advice. I feel reluctant to get a smartphone on some crazy contract to set up a command and control system. I have setup a domestic wifi network without internet for music before and hope this is similarly straightforward....
You could always get a cheap Android tablet if the app doesn't work on a wi-fi-only iPad?

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 28th September 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,534 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 1,715 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
You could always get a cheap Android tablet if the app doesn't work on a wi-fi-only iPad?
The OIS App should work on all iPads. You don't need to set up the hotspot function yourself, it's done entirely by the app.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 28th September 2013

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Something like a Bauhn from Aldi perhaps?
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 28th September 2013

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

If the cheap, non Olympus, power supply works, use the money saved to buy a smartphone.
Old 28th September 2013

Liked 893 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The OIS App should work on all iPads. You don't need to set up the hotspot function yourself, it's done entirely by the app.

Ian
Ian - are you saying that the ipad will function and connect with the camera without there being a wifi network already in place? If so then I will be happy to use this tethered mode for many purposes where I shoot (but I am surprised).

I have been working under the assumption I need to have a wifi network available to me to make a connection. That is why I was looking to create a personal hotspot which is a function on a number of smartphones and on some ipads (with 4G) and can be created with a router/base station elsewhere.

I'm happy that the ipad will run the app, it is the connectivity that I am interested in.

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 28th September 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

The app runs without a wi-fi network already in place. The camera sets up its own peer-to-peer network. Ian and I tried it at my house without it being able to access my wi-fi router.

Quote:
Ian - are you saying that the ipad will function and connect with the camera without there being a wifi network already in place? If so then I will be happy to use this tethered mode for many purposes where I shoot (but I am surprised).

I have been working under the assumption I need to have a wifi network available to me to make a connection. That is why I was looking to create a personal hotspot which is a function on a number of smartphones and on some ipads (with 4G) and can be created with a router/base station elsewhere.

I'm happy that the ipad will run the app, it is the connectivity that I am interested in.

Peter

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
art frames (28th September 2013)
Old 28th September 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
You don't need a router/hotspot. In effect the camera is the hotspot with its own SSID. You connect your iPad to the camera's SSID.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilbo For This Useful Post:
art frames (28th September 2013)