Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 29th July 2013

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Re: Olympus E7

I am sure there will be a 43 lenses solution but it won't be a full size dSLR like the E5. It may be called something like em7 I guess.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 29th July 2013

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

I haven't used my HG and SHG glass in months but I still want a solution. All my manual focus primes will adapt to either 4/3 or m4/3. If the new camera takes both I can add some of the fast, manual focus primes now available for m4/3.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 30th July 2013

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I used my E-3 for the first time in over a year last week. After reacquainting myself with how heavy it is compared to OMD it was a pleasure to use. I forgot how quick it focus' compared to the OMD. For photographing a quick moving 7 a side football match this was the right option for me as the OMD would have struggled to keep up.

Not that I could justify buying an E-7 for the ocassional sports photography I do, a hybrid so I could lose the OMD would be worth considering, or alternatively some fast long tele lenses.

Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (30th July 2013)
Old 30th July 2013

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

Interesting times ahead for Olympus.

The success of the OMD must surely encourage them to release an upgraded/new model to include PDAF, shutter speed of 1/8000 or better, faster flash syn 1/500 and base ISO of 100 this will then allow us to get good use of fast lenses wide open on bright days.

I would personally be happy to sacrifice high ISO capability for a lower base as I try not to shoot above 1600/3200 absolute tops and then very rarely but that is just me.

I am happy with the camera footprint and hope that will not change too much as well as also being able to use the existing HLD-6 system otherwise upgrading/changing becomes too expensive.

I would however, not be surprised to see a new 4/3 camera as there are a great set of lenses already in place and it has been a long time since a new body was released, however, the balancing act is fine.....Mu43 with ability to take both 4/3 & mu43 lenses without adaptor to capitalise on OMD success and growing lens line up, or pure 4/3 body with very high spec to draw people back in?

The link up with Sony will I am sure play a major part and I am sure we will see great new sensors, higher quality EVF's & LCD's all in well made solid weatherproof Olympus designed bodies.

Just hope they get there before Fuji & Pany combo release their conjoined camera!

Exciting times and reasons to see more pros switching formats.
Old 30th July 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re - For me, I need those 4/3 lenses for concert photography

I'm in the same position! I use the 90-250 and 35-100 for concert photography and could do with a superior body and quieter like the OMD. Still may try OMD with the adapter and see if it is workable!
Old 30th July 2013

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

Sisi and Chris - do you need AF for long lens concert stuff? If you can use MF, the older lenses will work just as well on the E-M5 with the advantages of better IS and lower noise at high ISO. Plus the EVF gives extra help with manual focus (magnified view, pseudo-focus peaking with the line art filter).

I'm speaking theoretically as I haven't tried it yet.

John
Old 30th July 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansky View Post
Interesting times ahead for Olympus.

The success of the OMD must surely encourage them to release an upgraded/new model to include PDAF, shutter speed of 1/8000 or better, faster flash syn 1/500 and base ISO of 100 this will then allow us to get good use of fast lenses wide open on bright days.

I would personally be happy to sacrifice high ISO capability for a lower base as I try not to shoot above 1600/3200 absolute tops and then very rarely but that is just me.

I am happy with the camera footprint and hope that will not change too much as well as also being able to use the existing HLD-6 system otherwise upgrading/changing becomes too expensive.

I would however, not be surprised to see a new 4/3 camera as there are a great set of lenses already in place and it has been a long time since a new body was released, however, the balancing act is fine.....Mu43 with ability to take both 4/3 & mu43 lenses without adaptor to capitalise on OMD success and growing lens line up, or pure 4/3 body with very high spec to draw people back in?

The link up with Sony will I am sure play a major part and I am sure we will see great new sensors, higher quality EVF's & LCD's all in well made solid weatherproof Olympus designed bodies.

Just hope they get there before Fuji & Pany combo release their conjoined camera!

Exciting times and reasons to see more pros switching formats.
I'm with you on sacrificng high ISO to achieve a lower base ISO, but I expect base will remain at 200 with an expanded low range of 100 and possibly 50. In theaory that could result in slightly lower IQ below 200 but base is already so good I wouldn't expect this to be an issue.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th July 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Oh good, that means lots of pictures - looking forward to them! I'm sure you and Julia will have a great time.
Yes Have a Great Holidays Ian and please come back with some E-7 news - if I do not hear soon on the "requirements for birds in flight" part of the spec (which the OM-D fails miserably at) I have to go Canon or Nikon ASAP the worst bit of which, would be missing everyone here

although I shall still have my E-1s but will not be able to post from Dark Side cameras/lenses
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
Wee man (31st July 2013)
Old 30th July 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Yes Have a Great Holidays Ian and please come back with some E-7 news - if I do not hear soon on the "requirements for birds in flight" part of the spec (which the OM-D fails miserably at) I have to go Canon or Nikon ASAP the worst bit of which, would be missing everyone here

although I shall still have my E-1s but will not be able to post from Dark Side cameras/lenses
You'll still be welcome to pop in, say hello and join in some of the banter - but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 30th July 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
You'll still be welcome to pop in, say hello and join in some of the banter - but let's hope it doesn't come to that.
oooh! John Thank You

I would take photos with my E-1s and post here too -)

I phoned Park Cameras to place an order "for the Sept Olympus" but they said, NO CAN DO!

the ONE photo album
Old 30th July 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
Sisi and Chris - do you need AF for long lens concert stuff? If you can use MF, the older lenses will work just as well on the E-M5 with the advantages of better IS and lower noise at high ISO. Plus the EVF gives extra help with manual focus (magnified view, pseudo-focus peaking with the line art filter).

I'm speaking theoretically as I haven't tried it yet.

John
Hi,
Well ideally I need AF as photographing conductors and so on moving all the time is tricky on manual focus but I would like to try out the OMD and the adapter just to see if it is too limiting in that respect.
Old 30th July 2013

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

With concert photography the lens is usually wide open and if you are working head on it is usually okay but auto focus is much better than manual... Last weekend it was epm-2 ISO 3200 f5.6 and E-620 ISO 1600 f3.5.... Need a new Oly that drives the bigger lenses
Old 30th July 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:

Chevvy, As you know I have gone over to the Dark Side by purchasing a Canon 7D for BIF but still use the E-M5 as a static wildlife/landscape/macro tool as I believe that it has a higher IQ than the Canon. Now the E-M5 plus the Canon 400mm f5.6 and 1.4x converter using MF gives me stunning results with static subjects so even if Olympus bring out a CDAF/PDAF m4/3 body it will be the 7D body that is first to go!

David
Wee man (30th July 2013)
Old 30th July 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
Chevvy, As you know I have gone over to the Dark Side by purchasing a Canon 7D for BIF but still use the E-M5 as a static wildlife/landscape/macro tool as I believe that it has a higher IQ than the Canon. Now the E-M5 plus the Canon 400mm f5.6 and 1.4x converter using MF gives me stunning results with static subjects so even if Olympus bring out a CDAF/PDAF m4/3 body it will be the 7D body that is first to go!

David
David, REALLY is the Canon poorer IQ ????? Mind you the E-M5 is top dollar but how does it (Canon) compare to E-5 (you had one ?)

the ONE photo album
Old 30th July 2013
Administrator

Quote:

I phoned Park Cameras to place an order "for the Sept Olympus" but they said, NO CAN DO!
Cheeky, but nice try! I notice they said they can't take the order but didn't deny knowledge of the camera. Maybe we should all phone multiple stockists - someone, somewhere might let something slip!

Or not.