Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-PL1

Olympus Pen E-PL1 The, even smaller, more affordable and easier to use Pen from Olympus.

Old 17th December 2011
Jerry P

help needed for newbie

i'm in need of a new camera to replace my samsung s600 ,now i know nothing about photography or cameras ,but the e-pl1 has been recommended to me by janet (forum user),i want to mainly photograph wildlife and action shots ,as i live close to the natioal watersports centre in Nottingham ,Jessops currently have a deal on the e-pl1 twin lens kit,its available for 349.95 ,questions are

1,is this a good deal

2,is this the right camera for me

3,should i buy it now or wait until the sales

4,will the lens in the package suit my needs (wildlife / action

Thanks

Jerry
Old 17th December 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
Re: help needed for newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
i'm in need of a new camera to replace my samsung s600 ,now i know nothing about photography or cameras ,but the e-pl1 has been recommended to me by janet (forum user),i want to mainly photograph wildlife and action shots ,as i live close to the natioal watersports centre in Nottingham ,Jessops currently have a deal on the e-pl1 twin lens kit,its available for 349.95 ,questions are

1,is this a good deal

2,is this the right camera for me

3,should i buy it now or wait until the sales

4,will the lens in the package suit my needs (wildlife / action

Thanks

Jerry
Hi Jerry and welcome.

The E-PL1 is a great camera (have one myself) and as a twin lens kit at that price it is exceptional value. It offers high image quality with low weight and bulk and is ideal for most photographic situations - except wildlife and action!

That's not to say it can't do wildlife and action, it can, and the 40-150mm lens is a good starting point. However, I feel that for these two particular types of photography a DSLR is better, mainly due to having an optical viewfinder and faster focusing. Also, a DSLR is probably more physically compatible if eventually you want to go for an even longer lens. On the other hand, an entry level DSLR with lenses of the same focal range as the kit you are looking at will probably cost considerably more and the E-PL1 will almost certainly do better than a compact or bridge camera.

So, if you have more money to spend and are serious about wildlife/action you can do better than the E-PL1 by buying a DSLR. Bear in mind you will be less likely to carry it everywhere with you, though, as it will be bigger and heavier than the E-PL1. However, for a general purpose camera with high quality at a very affordable price the E-PL1 twin kit is hard to beat.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th December 2011
Jerry P

many thanks for your comments John, i really don't think i'm ready for a DSLR ,there far to complicated for me ,i just want a decent point n shoot camera that will take decent photo's with the option of being able to change lens, and a viewfinder would be a nice feature though

Jerry
Old 18th December 2011
Smiffy

Quote:
I just want a decent point n shoot camera that will take decent photo's with the option of being able to change lens, and a viewfinder would be a nice feature though

Jerry
I've just got the same camera on the same deal Jerry. Really is a good price that Jessops are offering and I couldn't resist to be honest. I was just about to buy when the wife offered to get it for me for Christmas, which was terrific. Only problem is, I don't get to play with it for another 8 days! My reasons for wanting an E-PL1 are exactly as you have stated above. I dabbled with a DSLR a few years ago (Sony A200) and as thrilled as I was with the results it gave, I soon got fed up lugging everything around with me.
I've been reading up (a lot!) about the camera and it's shortcomings, but I think it's benefits far outweigh them.
My first additional purchase for it will be the VF-2 viewfinder. Although my current compact doesn't have one and I haven't really missed it to be honest, I can see the benefits that you would get on the E-PL1.
No doubt I will buy a couple of additional lenses for it over the coming months/years but for now I will make do with the two supplied lenses. They may not be the absolute best in terms of performance, especially the 14-42mm, but they will cover my immediate needs until I get properly acclimatised with the camera itself.
At 249.00 for the camera alone, it's a bargain, not a lot more than you'd pay for a good compact.
At 349.00 for the twin lens kit, it's a steal and for me at least it was a "no brainer".
Old 18th December 2011

Thanked 1,419 Times in 1,310 Posts
Liked 2,348 Times in 1,118 Posts

Just in case you need any more moral support I agree, that twin lens deal is a great bargain. I'm even tempted myself and I've got 2 dslrs.
Old 18th December 2011
Smiffy

Oh the other "accessory" I have ordered is the "Olympus PEN E-PL1 for Dummies" book available from Amazon. (Can't post a link 'cos I haven't made enough forum posts!).

Considered essential reading as I understand the menu system can be a bit of a 'mare!
Old 18th December 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
many thanks for your comments John, i really don't think i'm ready for a DSLR ,there far to complicated for me ,i just want a decent point n shoot camera that will take decent photo's with the option of being able to change lens, and a viewfinder would be a nice feature though

Jerry
In that case I recommend the E-PL1 twin kit without reservation.

Although it is not the optimum kit for wildlife or action there is still a lot you can do. For example, you may find it difficult to capture birds in flight but should have no problem with seals basking at Blakeney Point.

A fox running across a meadow might be too much of a challenge (it would also be a challenge with a top of the range DSLR) but a Meerkat "on sentry Duty" at the zoo would be a snip.

Fast moving action at a football match might be beyond the focussing abilities of the camera but set pieces are much easier - it's down to your timing whether or not you capture the ball going in the net from a penalty.

Motor racing (or any track event) should be more feasible than you think with this camera, just select a point on the track where you wish to capture the action, focus on it, then switch to manual focus (so the focus point you have selected doesn't change). Capturing the action is then down to your own timing, including allowing for the shutter lag, which comes with practice. In fairness, you'd probably need the same technique with a entry to mid range DSLR anyway.

So grab it while you can and get snapping!

PS When funds allow you can buy an excellent accessory viewfinder for the E-PL1.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th December 2011
Jerry P

thanks for your advise guys ,i'm pretty sure the e-pl1 is the way forward for me at the moment, and judging by whats been said ,i wont go far wrong ? (hopefully)

Jerry
Old 20th December 2011

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

Wooo hooo! Jerry's bought the e-PL1 twin lens kit today.

It's a bit of a learning curve for him as it's a huge step up from a compact camera but I'm sure with your/our help, he'll get there in the end.

I've had my Oly for a couple of years now, but I well remember how difficult it was to get to grips with it at the start.

So, please welcome another Oly convert and offer him all the help you can!

Janet

Old 20th December 2011
Jerry P

After taking all the advise on board, today i became the very proud owner of a e-pl1 twin lens kit ,many many thanks to all who commented ,you input was very helpfull.

Jerry
Old 20th December 2011
Jerry P

Janet beat me to it
Old 21st December 2011
Smiffy

Quote:
After taking all the advise on board, today i became the very proud owner of a e-pl1 twin lens kit ,many many thanks to all who commented ,you input was very helpfull.

Jerry

Congratulations Jerry. Hope you enjoy it.
I'm still chomping at the bit waiting for Christmas Day!!
Another shout for this book.
Amazon Amazon

Highly recommended (apparantly) to make life with the menu system a little easier. My Daughter has bought it for me for Xmas!!
Old 21st December 2011
Jerry P

Hi Miffy,

thanks for the link to the book ,i bet you cant wait until Sunday ? ,ask your wife to charge the battery before she wraps it up ,otherwise you'll have to wait about 3 hours before you can switch it on !,not good if your wanting to play with your new toy .

Jerry
Old 21st December 2011
Smiffy

Quote:
Hi Miffy,

thanks for the link to the book ,i bet you cant wait until Sunday ? ,ask your wife to charge the battery before she wraps it up ,otherwise you'll have to wait about 3 hours before you can switch it on !,not good if your wanting to play with your new toy .

Jerry
Too late Jerry.
I did ask her if I could just recover the battery from the box but she wasn't playing ball mate.
Bought a couple of extra ones off of ebay for just under 9.00 the pair, so have plenty of them to charge!