Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 9th May 2011

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts
VF-2 opinions

I would be interested to know what other VF-2 owners see as the positives and negatives to this handy little device.
The end of my last sentence kind of nails my colours to the mast but it would be interesting to hear other view points too (excuse the pun)

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 9th May 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,271 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts
Re: VF-2 opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
I would be interested to know what other VF-2 owners see as the positives and negatives to this handy little device.
The end of my last sentence kind of nails my colours to the mast but it would be interesting to hear other view points too (excuse the pun)
I like it, although as a glasses wearer, the rubber surround/diopter adjuster does catch on my glasses and flip the finder up from time to time. I'd also like the mark 2 version to have a more secure locking arrangement on the hot shoe.

In terms of visual quality, it's very good in normal to bright conditions. In dimmer conditions the frame refresh does slow enough to be flickery and colour eventually disappears, but by that point the conditions will be very gloomy anyway.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 9th May 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love it. I like the screen and the fact it makes it all usable in bright light is great.

I'd like some sort of lock switch to secure it in. I carry my cameras on sling straps and find myself worrying about the viewfinder sometimes.
Old 9th May 2011

I agree it's very useful in bright conditions and I even find myself using it when the rear screen would suffice. I've added the optional larger eye cup which provides a comfortable eye position for me and it still fits in the Velcro bag when not in use.

In terms of resolution I find it's a little lacking but I do appreciate the way you can see how the camera is metering in real time. In other words, what you see is what you get in terms of exposure.
I also like the convenience of being able to change camera settings without taking my eye way from the VF-2.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 9th May 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I found it invaluable when I had my E-P2. Even as a glasses user I found no viewing problems, just the easy-to-tilt quirk which Ian mentioned. A sliver of thin tape across the bottom stops it slipping off the hot shoe.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 9th May 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Same tilt issue as everyone else, and the habit of the dioptre adjustment to self adjust (in the bag, rather than in use) is an irritation.

However the ability to see the histogram/or blown areas, show an alignment grid or pop the SCP into view is a great help. Magnification at eye level is also nice when using legacy lenses, though resolution unmagnified is easily good enough for most subjects.

I don't have an issue with the security of the vf-2 in the hotshoe, seems firmly fixed at 2 points (the accessory port and the shoe). Yes you can knock it backwards if you try, but it's not a regular issue.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 9th May 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Huw,

I am very impressed by the quality of the image through the VF-2. Other members have already made comments with which I agree mostly.

As a wearer of bifocals I can't really use the LCD screen except when the camera is on a tripod. So the VF-2 is essential for me and I would not have bought an E-P2 without one.

I too, would like the hinge and clip to be a little more robust and not so easy to dislodge with my spectacles. The ability to bring up the Super Control Screen in the viewfinder is very useful. The EVF on my C8080WZ (which I still use) can be frustrating in low light but the VF-2 is considerably better; so I have no complaints about the VF-2's low light performance. When my E-P2 is on a tripod I nearly always turn the VF-2 up from the horizontal position to compose the shot - which is very convenient when you don't wish to take a shot at eye level. I too would like a slightly more secure clip to the Pen body. It is quite firm but when I am carrying the camera and not using it I find myself checking frequently to see that the VF-2 is still attached to the camera.

All in all I think the VF-2 is a superb piece of electronic technology.

However, if I had a choice, I would prefer not to have to fit the VF-2 to my E-P2 before I can use it. So, if an E-P3 is being designed, I would prefer that the electronic viewfinder (of at least equal performance to the VF-2) were to be built into the camera body and to have the convenience of an articulating fold away LCD screen for tripod and other non eye-level shots.

Unfortunately, some people are never satisfied

Ray.
Old 9th May 2011

Liked 129 Times in 42 Posts

I'll keep it short - I really like it and have it on most of the time. It needs some kind of lock just to be on the safe side. If the light is so low that the image goes to B&W, none of the bodies it fits will be able to focus anyway, so it's pretty irrelevant.... *AF assist light on the E-P/E-PL 3 please, Mr Oly.*
Old 9th May 2011

Thanks for your opinions and thoughts, pretty much a thumbs up from everyone then

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr