Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 29th July 2009
Chillimonster

Re: What editing software do you use?

To me, the simplist way i could explain it is that CS4 is an Image Editing & Creation Program, whereas Lightroom is an Image 'Retouching' program.
Old 29th July 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,530 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 1,708 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillimonster View Post
To me, the simplist way i could explain it is that CS4 is an Image Editing & Creation Program, whereas Lightroom is an Image 'Retouching' program.
Lightroom is also a very capable image management tool. I am cataloguing my archive with Lightroom at the moment have reached 32,000 images. I believe that's around one half to two thirds of my images from the last 11-12 years.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 29th July 2009

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillimonster View Post
I do editing and retouching but not creation. I will have to give Lightroom a go to see if I can achieve what I need with it.
Maybe I will catalog all my images but that sounds like a retirement job!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 29th July 2009
Chillimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Lightroom is also a very capable image management tool. I am cataloguing my archive with Lightroom at the moment have reached 32,000 images. I believe that's around one half to two thirds of my images from the last 11-12 years.

Ian
I really must get around to cataloging my images in lightroom.

I know i have around 44K of images of my two girls alone (8 & 12 year old)
Old 29th July 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think there's no such thing as "perfect" software, any more than there is a perfect camera. I probably use Lightroom 95% of the time as it provides the batch processing and cataloguing tools I want and (having used it since the ealry public Beta) am used to. As others have said, I find I need Photoshop only very occasionally, and if I didn't have the copy of CS that came with my PC, would happily make do with Elements.

But, I also occasionally use Lightzone (especially for B&W) and RawTherapee. Both offer different approaches to RAW conversion that suits some images better. Both have "saved" images that ACR/ Lightroom struggled with. Neat Image also occasionally helps with high ISO noise when needed.

I also use PT Lens and ShiftN for perspective correction. Both provide tools that are easier to use than Photoshop, and I think produce better and quicker results.

Before I got PS CS I also used The GIMP and found it clunky, but powerful enough to do all I needed. "Gimpshop" sounds ineteresting - I'll have a look for it.
Old 29th July 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

There does seem to be a 'hard sell' both by the makers and the magazines with respect to photo-editing software. Both trying to tell you that to be a 'serious' photographer you need a large panoply of tools/toys/effects.

I'm getting increasingly skeptical - for the few 'good' pictures I've taken they have been largely untouched by pp. Maybe a slight levels adjustment, a pass with a noise filter and a bit of sharpening, even in the raw stage of processing there is seldom need for more than the slightest nudge to the exp slider. So actually I'm doing far less pp now than I was two years ago. The only other things I routinely do is cropping - but that is to 'shape' the existing composition - rather than making the composition at the computer; and perhaps some slight rotation/perspective.

And actually while doing the pp I'm now mostly wondering if it's 'make work', with the levels adjustment just cancelling out the exposure compensation of five minutes ago.

Like most I went through the 'sort it out' on the computer stage - hopefully I've now grown out it.

Overall I think there is a lot to be said for starting with a very basic toolset and restricting what you buy to the bare minimum.

I suppose the one exception is hdr as a replacement for on-camera filters and off-camera lighting. But even then the 'less hdr effect' the better.

It's nice to have the toys, and having them it's worth finding out how to use them. But it's what you take with the camera that makes the picture, it has taken me a long time to really learn that.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 29th July 2009
Chillimonster

The main thing i'm using Lightroom for at the moment apart from the usual crop / resize / add borders (for my 365 project) is for my B&W conversions which i've become a little 'addicted' to at the moment as a look in my recent shots of the 365 will confirm

I just find that at the moment it works for my style of PP'ing.
Old 29th July 2009

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

From the Original post

"What other software is out there at a reasonable cost and functionality"

I guess at Free 59, 249 and 560 respectivly, and from the following posts peoples ideas of reasonable cost seem to vary.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 29th July 2009

Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
If you are fortunate to be on a Mac then Aperture is a great tool - it does Raw to final output in in one step in a non destructive way, so you can always go back and get more out of the raw image without having to do an additional raw conversion.
All usable output from Aperture is always a first generation creation of the image from the Raw file, so reducing the possibility of multiple compression effects.

Aperture will also make it easy to document the images such that at any time in the future you will be able to retrieve any of your work very easily.

I use Photoshop CS3 for the clever stuff eg using layers and photo merging.
Although I dont have a mac myself, I do have daily access to one. I'll see if they have that software installed, or if not look to see if theres a demo version.

Thanks for that

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 29th July 2009

Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
From the Original post

"What other software is out there at a reasonable cost and functionality"

I guess at Free 59, 249 and 560 respectivly, and from the following posts peoples ideas of reasonable cost seem to vary.
Free sounds reasonable

I'll have to take a look at what the bank balance says, specially as my working hours have been cut today

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 30th July 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
There does seem to be a 'hard sell' both by the makers and the magazines with respect to photo-editing software. Both trying to tell you that to be a 'serious' photographer you need a large panoply of tools/toys/effects...

Overall I think there is a lot to be said for starting with a very basic toolset and restricting what you buy to the bare minimum.

I suppose the one exception is hdr as a replacement for on-camera filters and off-camera lighting. But even then the 'less hdr effect' the better.

It's nice to have the toys, and having them it's worth finding out how to use them. But it's what you take with the camera that makes the picture, it has taken me a long time to really learn that.

Nick
I agree, although I do find myself using perspective correction software fairly frequently with buildings as - in the absence of a tilt/ shift lens - the image cannot be "got right" in camera.

I give most images a contrast/ curves tweak and fiddle with sharpening, but that's usually it, other than B&W conversions. Like Chilli, I find myself increasingly drawn to B&W ATM.

There's so much free software around, you really don't have to spend a lot to do almost anything you could desire, although some of the free software lacks the "user-friendly" front ends of the full-price packages.
Old 30th July 2009

Liked 948 Times in 364 Posts

I use Lightroom which does much of what I want. I do have an old version of Elements that I try to correct converging verticals with very occasionally.
I was interested in the two progs that Hugo mentioned, PT Lens and ShiftN but as I use a Mac I cannot use them.
Anyone know of free/cheap software that does the same but can be used on a Mac?
Old 30th July 2009
mike_j

Lightroom backed up by PS 6.5 where necessary. My wife uses Picasa and I use it on the laptop when we are away. It's an excellent, simple, free program and very capable.

We also have Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Panasonic bundled software from various cameras but I have only used Olympus Master, and then only for firmware updates. I'd be interested in comments on these.
Old 31st July 2009
Paulpp

Another "vote" for Aperture if you have a Mac. I also use CS3 for some editing and Bridge for keywording as I only use the keywords in Aperture to keep a record of when/where/ how used/ etc.
Old 31st July 2009

Liked 537 Times in 375 Posts

A quick search on Version Tracker gave a pointer to this lens correction app - I have not used it - just did a search

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17489