Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 28th July 2009

Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
What editing software do you use?

I'm really only just getting into any sort of photo editing, having "got by" on picasa (dont laugh), but have more recently started using the Olympus software and seen a difference in my photos.

I'm due to start my OU course, and we are given a copy of Elements to work with, but someone has told me its an old version, so it may not have the latest "bells and whistles"

What other software is out there at a reasonable cost and functionality. Is there something that is not too difficult for a newbie to learn, but also has the functionality to be able to grow with me as I'm learning this new "trade"

Thanks in advance

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 28th July 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: What editing software do you use?

Lightroom2.4 - it's an awesome software app. I rarely venture into CS3 any more... LR does the job for 99.9% of my processing now.

Old 28th July 2009

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

I expect that the OU course will have a recommended editor - and probably a student version at a deep discount. I would expect that it it would be difficult to follow the course on any other editor so perhaps they sould give the guidance

Roger
Old 28th July 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I started with Elements 6, and then got a copy of Photoshop CS2. I collected all the tutorials from various magazines and have a basic workflow using these.

I have also purchased neat image for Noise reduction.

I have also purchased Lightzone to see what this budget program can do.

Any specific questions just ask

Kind regards

Graydon
Old 28th July 2009

Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
I expect that the OU course will have a recommended editor - and probably a student version at a deep discount. I would expect that it it would be difficult to follow the course on any other editor so perhaps they sould give the guidance

Roger
OU supply Elements as part of the course... but I was wondering whether that software would "grow" with me as I gained more experience/confidence. I fully intend using the correct course software while I'm working on the course, but its mainly for furthering my skills that I'd like to learn something that probably goes "deeper" than Elements

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 28th July 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
OU supply Elements as part of the course... but I was wondering whether that software would "grow" with me as I gained more experience/confidence. I fully intend using the correct course software while I'm working on the course, but its mainly for furthering my skills that I'd like to learn something that probably goes "deeper" than Elements
The only mainstream programs that really go any further than Elements would either be Photoshop CS/2/3/4 etc or the free Alternative - Gimp. I personally use CS4 as I had the opportunity of getting it but I would not in the least be worried about being stuck with GIMP it does 95% of what PS is capable of (99% by the time you add all the plugins) and it won't cost a penny. The only real problem with it is that it's different to PS and that causes problems / fustration when you / nearly everyone else are used to doing things the PS way, some of the modified gimp frontends like GimpShop go some way to help with that problem but there's still a bit of a difference. Lightzone is worth trying - I find it infinitely better in terms of colour than ACR for Olympus Raws - despite spending ages trying and playing with existing ACR profiles I can't get one to get anywhere close to OOC jpegs / Studio / Master output, which is a pitty as it would be so useful to have all the adjustments that it offers. Lightzone IMO does a better job but still isn't quite perfect and it's pretty limited once you get outside levels adjustment etc - offers much less than elements does in that regard.
Old 28th July 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

For the course I'd recommend you stick to the supplied software - as that represents a common denominator across all the students and will be the tool the instructor(s) are teaching to.

For general use then it's worth looking at The GIMP (if only to learn why it is called that). It has a number of advantages

1) It is shareware under the GNU - so it's free for private use
2) Has a long history in the graphics/animation/commercial sectors
3) Is regularly updated/improved

As a product it is fully featured for photographic post processing (layers etc), plus there is a host of plug-ins to provide additional features (also free). It has all the basic functionality of photoshop (though without some aspects of the intelligence/automation - so it's less bloated). Most articles that provide photoshop advice can be readily followed, though of course the menus are different.

Personally having tried Photoshop I find The GIMP easier to use/understand - mainly because it just does what it says, it doesn't try to be clever.

By default it works from tif/jpeg etc - not RAW, but you can get a raw plug-in that supports orf (DCRAW/UFRAW).

RAW development I do in Olympus Master - or if I've got a file that needs special processing then I use RAWTherapee (also shareware) that provides a neat interface for DCRAW.

http://www.gimp.org/

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 28th July 2009
Chillimonster

Lightroom for 99.999999999999999999999999999999% of the shots, and GIMP for the remaining 0.000000000000000000000000000001%
Old 28th July 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,583 Times in 912 Posts

I use Picassa3 a lot, it's really good for B&W filtered conversions and all the simple stuff (crops & resize for the web) Other than that it gets done using PSE4

I try to keep in mind that which is attributed to David Bailey: "Photoshop makes a poor photographer, avarage and a good photographer, avarage"

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 29th July 2009
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'd go with the general advice that to follow the course, use the recommended software.

But be alert to the not-very-subtle marketing line of "get them using our products on a course and they'll carry on for the rest of their life".

There are plenty of alternatives out there - most offer a free trial period. To be honest, there's very much an element of "seen one , seen them all" in many respects - one of the things this course had better teach you is fundamental principles rather than "do this by clicking on this button". Try various, you'll probably find one or more that suits you.

Personally I avoid Adobe products like the plague, and not just because of their avaricious UK pricing policy.
Old 29th July 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Bowman View Post
Personally I avoid Adobe products like the plague, and not just because of their avaricious UK pricing policy.
Curious that if not for the pricing, Dick, why do you avoid Adobe...?

Old 29th July 2009

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Tracey you will find that Elements will do everything you need to do on that course and will then proberly last you quite a while before you out grow it. Also there are lots of actions and plugins for it that will extend its power to nearly that of the full photoshop as well and it is a reasonable price.

What do I have... Lightroom 2.4, CS3 and I have had every version of Elements up to Version 6 simply because I used to be a Elements beta tester for Adobe.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 29th July 2009

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I try to keep in mind that which is attributed to David Bailey: "Photoshop makes a poor photographer, avarage and a good photographer, avarage"

I guess Mr Baily never thought that when he handed his 120films straight out of his Rolli to the darkroom guys and retouchers when he started.

And in later years most of his personel work was printed for him by master printers, though in his 50's i think he did start printing his own B&W.

I'm a great fan of Davids work and had most of his coffee table books, the last one I brought was The Lady Is a Tramp.

But I do think that with some of these old pro's it a case of sour grapes now the playing field as been leveled by the digital darkroom and is not just the preserve of the few now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 29th July 2009

Liked 537 Times in 375 Posts

If you are fortunate to be on a Mac then Aperture is a great tool - it does Raw to final output in in one step in a non destructive way, so you can always go back and get more out of the raw image without having to do an additional raw conversion.
All usable output from Aperture is always a first generation creation of the image from the Raw file, so reducing the possibility of multiple compression effects.

Aperture will also make it easy to document the images such that at any time in the future you will be able to retrieve any of your work very easily.

I use Photoshop CS3 for the clever stuff eg using layers and photo merging.
Old 29th July 2009

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

I have had all the versions of Photoshop and am on CS4. For what I require it is excellent but of course I have only scratched the surface of its capabilities. Everyone in my society uses CS4.
I do have Lightroom but have never really tried it.
Could someone please point out the advantages of using Lightroom over CS4?

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge