Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 13th August 2019

Liked 696 Times in 368 Posts
Is the Olympus Camera Menu Complex?

Started from a history of Olympus camera starting from the 8080uz till today having the Em1ii, back then I sometimes agree with the critics that the Olympus system is complex.

This changed completely when I was ask to guide young photographers new into photography. I had a go at the Nikon entry level (old unit) and I could not even find that EV. It took me a while to find stuff and entry Nikons don't even give you AUTO ISO. ( I could be wrong) Then came the Canon user. This newbie bought that RF. And well...menu is also another nightmare.

At least back then even that E-400, Oly gave everything (even that kitchen sink). BUT sadly I heard that the EM10iii, oly did hid some stuff away.

I am now appreciating the Oly menu and what they are trying to do with the EM1ii. The new menu is getting a tat less complicated But it still needs a lot of refining. An that SCP in our Olys is really a blessing.

As I was guiding this group of newbies, I come to understand that these cameras what we hold are not just cameras but really super computers. and not reading the manual and not understanding them would only put the user at a disadvantage of knowing their full potential.

Do you agree that the Oly Menu is complicated?

All my garbage so far.
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 1,566 Times in 770 Posts
Re: Is the Olympus Camera Menu Complex?

It's not complicated once you get used to it. Yes, it's different to the Nikon menu system and that's different to the Canon one, etc.

The people who claim its complicated are just being critical for the sake of it IMHO.

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (13th August 2019)
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 726 Times in 492 Posts

All makes you wonder how people managed in the last century when all they had was 3 dials!
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 3,699 Times in 1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
All makes you wonder how people managed in the last century when all they had was 3 dials!
And no on/off button. They must have got through batteries like no-ones business.....

My Flickr
Old 13th August 2019

There were little batteries for the meter on some cameras. No on/off switch as such that I recall, the meter would activate with a half press of shutter button.
Raises the question of how long have shutter buttons had a half press feature??
Old 13th August 2019

My first SLR have only 1 electrical push button for the Exposure Meter. The Aperture button was a mechanical unit. And no 1/2 press. 3 dials S,A and ISO.

All my garbage so far.
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 3,699 Times in 1,708 Posts

My Pentax P30 had an on/off button for the light meter...and I think my Yashicamat (TLR) light meter switched on when the screen lid was raised.

Re Olympus, yes the menu is complex, but then the camera is, as said, a computerised photograph taker (?). There are just so many options...

Like many computer programmes, eg Photoshop, Autocad, they give you so many options that never knew you needed.....

But, once you are familiar with it, it works well.

I have a GX800, and I struggle to find options I want on that.....

My Flickr
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 114 Times in 76 Posts

Not sure its that overly complicated, but I prefer the design of the Panasonic UI
Old 13th August 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
My first SLR have only 1 electrical push button for the Exposure Meter. The Aperture button was a mechanical unit. And no 1/2 press. 3 dials S,A and ISO.
And the ISO/ASA (remember that?) doubled up as an EV+/- dial too. Simples!
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 234 Times in 147 Posts

I suggest that the Olympus menus are 'comprehensive' rather than 'complex'. There are so many things that can be adjusted, should you wish to. The difficulty arises because the function you want is 'camouflaged by all these other items and, sometimes, a particular item can be elusive.

For example, the time an image is reviewed after taking a photo appears in the 'set up (spanner)' menu although, to my mind, it belongs in 'shooting settings' or at least 'options (cogs)'. While many of the groupings make sense to me, there are always different interpretations of what belongs where.
Naughty Nigel (13th August 2019)
Old 13th August 2019

Liked 2,324 Times in 1,531 Posts

In my experience the Olympus menu system is only complicated when you need to change something in a hurry! Unexpected or accidental changes to regularly used settings are a particular challenge.

I have found the best way is to sit down in a comfortable armchair with the camera so that I can explore the menu at my leisure. That way it is easier to navigate when I need to do it in anger.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th August 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
And the ISO/ASA (remember that?) doubled up as an EV+/- dial too. Simples!
Don't remember my Fujinon had that +/- dial. I had to use that meter inside but never really learn anything on exposure compensation. Oly that i need to adjust till that needle is in the middle. I think those film are more forgiving.

All my garbage so far.
Old 13th August 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
In my experience the Olympus menu system is only complicated when you need to change something in a hurry! Unexpected or accidental changes to regularly used settings are a particular challenge.

I have found the best way is to sit down in a comfortable armchair with the camera so that I can explore the menu at my leisure. That way it is easier to navigate when I need to do it in anger.
Do you know that there are also repetition in Oly's menu?

For example, in Settings, E1, there is a Noise Reduction selector and that can be override in Shooting Menu2, Anti-Shock/Silent, Noise Reduction.

I had both setting in Noise Reduction set to OFF and still in Custom Silent Shutter release, that Noise Reduction came on in between shots and totally messed up my milkyway shots and i couldn't find a place to turn it off. I had to finally do a full camera reset to eliminate it. That was how I discovered that 2 identical settings.

All my garbage so far.
Old 13th August 2019

That was kinda my point, there wasn’t a dial for exposure compensation so you tweaked the ISO up or down.
Another option, if I remember correctly was to ‘push’ the film exposure and develop it or get it developed accordingly. So you bought a 100ASA film but set the ISO dial for 400ASA and gained a couple of stops (didn’t you?) then you developed it as if it was 400ASA and screwed up the grain accordingly!! You had to use suitable film, I think Ektachrome might have been one.
There will be some experts along shortly to tell us if I remembered it correctly or not.
blu-by-u (14th August 2019)
Old 14th August 2019

Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts

Oly menu system is definitely the most difficult/complex that I have ever used and I have used Canon, Nikon and Sony + olympus of course

Jim