Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 21st October 2017

Liked 465 Times in 206 Posts
Re: Lightroom as we know it is now Lightroom Classic CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
Just mucking about with Lightroom CC Classic on the Mac, at the moment. It's a big improvement over old Lightroom CC....
In what regards?

Having seen numerous Adobe sponsored videos & the 'Lightroom Queen's' blogs I've managed to convince myself that LR6 standalone does all I need it to - so I have no plans to add to Adobe's coffers every month until LR6 ceases to support the camera I use.

It concerns me that once you've moved your LR catalogue beyond v6, you're st*ffed if they decide to hike the subscription price - and history shows that share price / profit margins is a higher priority for Adobe than caring for their customers.
Old 21st October 2017

Liked 686 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
In what regards?

Having seen numerous Adobe sponsored videos & the 'Lightroom Queen's' blogs I've managed to convince myself that LR6 standalone does all I need it to - so I have no plans to add to Adobe's coffers every month until LR6 ceases to support the camera I use.

It concerns me that once you've moved your LR catalogue beyond v6, you're st*ffed if they decide to hike the subscription price - and history shows that share price / profit margins is a higher priority for Adobe than caring for their customers.
Slicker and quite a bit faster. Erm yes, I suspect I should have backed up before transferring the catalogue to Classic.
Old 21st October 2017

Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts

Mine seems to run quicker with the GPU accelerator option selected, when loading/editing pictures at 4k since the update. Early days but feels smoother even on my Quad core system.
Old 22nd October 2017

Liked 686 Times in 296 Posts

Ok.... As I’ve been interested in putting together a workable mobile workflow, for some time now, I’ve upgraded to the Creative Cloud Photography 1TB plan, which gives me what I already have (classic, CC and PS) plus the extra storage. It will be interesting to compare Lightroom CC for iPad (never used) with Snapseed. I’m hoping I’ll be able to use both together.

To make 1TB work for me, with a mobile workflow, I suspect I’m going to have to get awfully good at culling. On the plus side, being able to edit and publish on the go means less time slaving over a hot Mac at home (if I can make the whole thing work for me).
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ian (22nd October 2017)
Old 22nd October 2017

Liked 869 Times in 555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
On opening all I have is wallpaper, one of my images, with no shortcuts other than of course the recycle bin which has always annoyed me, and the task bar at the bottom. The latter has all the programmes I use on a regular basis such as LR, PS, Word, Excel, Outlook, explorer, Edge, calculator, password storage system. Instantly available but not at all intrusive.

The rest are in the start menu, arranged alphabetically, accessed via the windows button should I need them. No tiles are visible until I open the start menu and then only about 6 things I want to get at easily but which aren't on the task bar as they are needed less often. So you don't need to be bombarded with tiles at all.
Same here. I use the task bar and have short-cuts on the desktop, just like the older Windows versions. I have removed most of the tiles that pop up when you hit the start/Windows key and what's left doesn't irritate me. I have disabled the animation on those tiles that have it enabled by default because that did irritate me. A lot!

Quote:
Auto updates. Yes they should not have an impact on the user. I have set the time to allow them when I am less likely to be using the machine or alternatively I can allow the update on close down or when it happens to suit me. I have never been forced to do an update when I don't want to. As I say I have not had any problems post updates on W10.
Are you on Win 10 Pro Hec? That does allow you to control auto-updates to some extent, but the Home edition does not. I have a small computer that updated itself to Win 10 Home and it's more or less unusable for half an hour or so after switch on while the OS updates itself and runs all the annoying housekeeping stuff in the background that you cannot disable. During this period the disk usage sits at 99-100% and everything slows to a crawl. That is my major issue with Win 10; I have managed to disable most of that stuff on my Pro machine. I have also got rid of the Photos app which spent most of its time assembling new albums for me that I don't want!

As for the cloud stuff, I have 1TB of BT Cloud included with my broadband contract but use it only for backups. I do not want to process stuff on other people's computers, I want control over it and I want to know where it is! I got by without processing film in the field for years so don't see a need to process digital files instantly either.