Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 29th June 2015

Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
Re: Is C-AF actually improved with v3.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
If you can afford two systems then so be it, but that means always carrying even more weight if you are to be sure of having the right system with you all the time!
Affording two systems is a moot point under shall we say discussion with t'managment.

Never carry two systems. Went for a ramble this morning, took my Olympus and a Panasonic 14-140. If I go out to shoot wildlife take my Canon gear, simple as that.

Canon gear works for wildlife NOW, Olympus may or may not in the future at some unspecified date. That's it in a nutshell. A Canon 7D II body is also considerably cheaper than buying an Olympus 300 f4 plus an Olympus E-M1 MKII. My GAS fund is now empty for a considerable while so I shall merely watch what Olympus bring out from the sidelines.
The Following User Says Thank You to Miketoll For This Useful Post:
Wee man (29th June 2015)
Old 29th June 2015

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

It makes you wonder how any sports or nature photography ever got done before the days of auto focus.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
PeterBirder (29th June 2015), Ross the fiddler (30th June 2015)
Old 29th June 2015

I think expectations are much higher these days. There were comparitevly few pictures of birds in flight especially the smaller ones. I do not want to spend lots of money only to have to go back to the old days of manual focussing because the camera is not up to the present standards of C-AF.
Old 29th June 2015

Liked 3,078 Times in 881 Posts

I see Fuji has released v4.0 firmware for the X-T1 today, which adds new features, including rather drastic changes to the AF system. Has Olympus squeezed everything possible from the E-M1 now or could there be further improvements before an updated body?

Ron
Old 29th June 2015

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It makes you wonder how any sports or nature photography ever got done before the days of auto focus.
True, but anyone who saw the running 50-year slide show at the Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2014 would have been mightily impressed by the overall stunning improvement in quality over that period.

OK it is still possible to get marvellous images by manual and pre-focussing, but most of the technical advances in the past 50y have incrementally improved the chances of getting top-notch images.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Alpha1 (30th June 2015)
Old 30th June 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
I see Fuji has released v4.0 firmware for the X-T1 today, which adds new features, including rather drastic changes to the AF system. Has Olympus squeezed everything possible from the E-M1 now or could there be further improvements before an updated body?
That's a very good question, it would be super if there was another firmware update that drastically improved things but I suspect that having no cross type focussing points is the major problem and obviously firmware updates can't change that.
Old 6th July 2015

Liked 1,397 Times in 360 Posts

Some more results from the field can be found here: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38462

It was a quite frustrating experience with these small, fast moving subjects. To get any useable shots:
  • Use the central 9 squares. Though risk is high the subject moves out of AF area, it's more reliable than using all AF points since the AF will usually target and (try to) lock on an arbitrary element, usually in the background , sometimes in foreground.
  • The main challence is having the AF acquire focus in the first place. Anticipating the action/motion pattern and pre-focusing is a must. I got zero keepers with the 300/2.8, the lens focusing mechnism is not fast enough.
  • Once you get the feeling the subject is more or less in focus, shot a burst and keep your fingers crossed that one frame will be in focus. (Shutter release priority must be on).

I did some photos with the E5 as well. It produced better results generally speaking looking at focus accuracy - once it managed to acquire focus. And keeping track of the subjects with an optical viewfinder is easier since there is no lag involved.

I plan to make a new attempt with the wind from a more favorable direction.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 6th July 2015

Liked 59 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordan58 View Post
Some more results from the field can be found here: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38462

It was a quite frustrating experience with these small, fast moving subjects. To get any useable shots:
  • Use the central 9 squares. Though risk is high the subject moves out of AF area, it's more reliable than using all AF points since the AF will usually target and (try to) lock on an arbitrary element, usually in the background , sometimes in foreground.
  • The main challence is having the AF acquire focus in the first place. Anticipating the action/motion pattern and pre-focusing is a must. I got zero keepers with the 300/2.8, the lens focusing mechnism is not fast enough.
  • Once you get the feeling the subject is more or less in focus, shot a burst and keep your fingers crossed that one frame will be in focus. (Shutter release priority must be on).

I did some photos with the E5 as well. It produced better results generally speaking looking at focus accuracy - once it managed to acquire focus. And keeping track of the subjects with an optical viewfinder is easier since there is no lag involved.

I plan to make a new attempt with the wind from a more favorable direction.
I have to agree with your point regarding the E-5, I still use mine as the focusing is more consistent.
E-M1 promised so much but it hasn't delivered.
I've almost got to the final straw with mine, Yesterday photographing aircraft taking off, head on large aircraft it refused to focus. It had been in focus for a couple of shot just prior to take off, at take off point it wouldn't focus. It went completely out of focus and struggle to focus again. I was using as the light was good the 75-300,
I am now seriously considering after many years of Olympus use selling the lot and buying a into Canon or Nikon. I've already had a look at 5 or 7D or possible D800

www.dncphotography.co.uk
Old 8th August 2015

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

I've had the chance to give my new EM-1 a reasonable work out and am another who is so far disappointed with CAF at 9fps using PDAF.

Its been only small birds and gulls so far but to be honest I don't see any real improvement from what I remember using my old EM-1 with v1.4 installed

Maybe things will make sense when I shoot our local air festival in a couple of weeks time but for the moment I'm sticking with my standard S-AF with burst sequence firing for BIF work, much faster initial lock on and it appears more consistently accurate focusing

(on current experience the EM-1 has been knocked off my "Top Camera" spot by the EM-5 mk2, it seems more refined and pleasant to use - what a surprise! )
Old 9th August 2015
Alpha1

Brian

Do you still use the Nikon1 V2 for wild life and BIF in particular?
Old 9th August 2015

Dave, nope, the 70-300 CX was part-exed for the Oly 12-40 f2.8 and the remaining bits have been passed on to the family

I have sorted what my problem with EM-1 CAF was (poor memory mainly ) I had forgotten that the EM-1 PDAF sensors are linear not cross type so shooting things like small fast moving BIF using CAF is not going to be too hot in landscape mode, but the moment I switched to portrait mode - what an improvement"

I spent a while giving it a real work out yesterday evening, trying to lock on House Martins charging about the sky at considerable distance feeding on gnats.

Over 50+ shots I was getting good lock-on in 60% - 70% of the frames (the martins occupied around 2% of frame area, so much so, I could hardly see what it locked on sometimes )

That will do me

I just need to wait patiently for the free grip to arrive as using the camera in portrait mode without it feels clumsy.
The Following User Says Thank You to brian1208 For This Useful Post:
Alpha1 (10th August 2015)
Old 9th August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
I had forgotten that the EM-1 PDAF sensors are linear not cross type so shooting things like small fast moving BIF using CAF is not going to be too hot in landscape mode, but the moment I switched to portrait mode - what an improvement"
Hadn't thought of trying the camera in portrait mode for that so thanks, will give it a go when I have an opportunity.
Old 9th August 2015

hope you find it helps Mike, I got the tip from a user on another site, else I would still be struggling so I'm very happy to share it
Old 9th August 2015

Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
Hadn't thought of trying the camera in portrait mode for that so thanks, will give it a go when I have an opportunity.
I found this out by chance at Donington Park race track earlier in the year, when some compositions in the Esses needed portrait and some landscape. With the 40-150 Pro & t/c I got a much higher proportion of keepers in portrait. I thought at first it was something to do with the way I was supporting the camera, but I learned different subsequently.

However, the Panasonic 100-300 was a bit rubbish however one held it. Lovely for stationary subjects, or almost so, of course!

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
brian1208 (9th August 2015)
Old 10th August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
However, the Panasonic 100-300 was a bit rubbish however one held it. Lovely for stationary subjects, or almost so, of course!
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I agree about the Panasonic but that is what I have because I started my MFT journey with a Panasonic GX7 which I did not like. I read somewhere that you get an improved hit rate when shooting with the 100-300 if you shoot at a maximum frame rate of 6 fps to give it a little more time between shots and wonder if you have tried that and come to any conclusion?