Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 25th January 2014

Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Sigma SD9 OR SD10 plus lenses.

I have a Sigma SD9 body, lots of wear, but functions fine.

OR

I have a Sigma SD10 in immaculate condition with the box, disc and stuff. Only been out of the house twice.

I used the removable IR filter from the SD9 on the SD10 to make the latter full-spectrum on the two occasions it has been out of the house.
It took lovely IR shots with the 18-200 l used (mostly at 18mm (31mm equivalent, given 1.74x multiplier for Foveon sensor)).

I have two Sigma lenses (for Sigma cameras, NOT m4/3 or 4/3):
18-50 3.5/5.6 Sigma SD fit, hood, end caps.
28-80 macro Sigma SD fit, hood, end caps.

I intend to keep one of the two Sigma bodies, and the 18-200 lens, as I love the colours and clarity :-D

If you want the Sigma for IR work as well as "normal" visible spectrum, and to experience the lovely Foveon sensor, then the SD10 is the one to go for. I hardly use the SD9 or SD10, the SD10 sensor is marginally better, but only marginally (slightly better highlight control). You'll probably have to clean the sensor at times, anyway - we are spoilt with the Olympus SSWF thingy ! Never had to clean sensors on any Oly body I've owned, but have twice cleaned the SD9's sensor - once on receipt (second-hand), and once since.

Available separately: the sensor-protecting filter from the SD9 for the potential SD10 owner who wanted IR benefit. This would leave my SD9 without sensor-protecting filter, so I'd want a little something extra for the inconvenience of having to clean the sensor more often, and for it being "unprotected". They are GBP 50 to buy a new replacement ! Eek. The SD9 and 18-50 lens was only GBP120 when I bought it a couple of years ago ...

Don't know how to get shutter actuations on Sigmas, but from the photo file numbers I'm estimating 20 000 on the SD9 and less than 4 000 on the SD10.

Of the two lenses, for ordinary use, the 18-50 is fine. However, I found it to be soft on the left-hand side for IR work. The 28-80 is fine for ordinary and IR, but wasn't wide enough for the landscapes I wanted to capture. Hence my purchasing the 18-200 (which can be found 2nd hand for around GBP 100 for the older, non-stabilized version).

I'd be happy for somebody to "try before they buy" if they were in the Manchester area.

Would I recommend the SD10 for IR work ?
Yes, if you're on a limited budget and can't afford GBP250 to have a body with live view converted (I had my E-PL3 done last year at Protech in Uckfield), or are willing to risk self-converting a body with a GBP40 substitute filter (probably on a Nikon D40 or D50 would be easiest, by all accounts).
No, if you can get hold of a camera with live view - and that would include early digicams both DSLR and P&S with less strong IR filters. Just get a tripod, a cheap IR filter, and put up with the wait and beautifully blurred clouds :-)

Would I recommend owning an SD9 or SD10 for experiencing the Foveon sensor - yes, yes ! That's why I intend to keep one of them :-D

Other advantages of SD - M42 lenses fit with an adapter, and there are lots of cheap SA / SD lenses out there to look out for and try. Cameras run on 4xAA (SD9 requires an additional battery, too). Viewfinder field of view wider than captured on sensor.

Disadvantages - maximum memory card size is only 2GB (CF). Big cameras, and clunky. SD9 requires TWO different sets of batteries. No flash, no live view.

So, low-sensible offers considered for one or other camera, plus lens(-es) if required.

Any questions, in the thread would be best, please :-)

I have also started a separate thread for E620, E300 bodies, and some other Oly stuff.

I'm in Manchester, and would be more than happy to meet in the vicinity to show off any of the gear beforehand - but please bear in mind, I don't have a car, so I'd cycle to the meeting place :-) Or post, RMSD, of course.
Old 29th January 2014

Re: Sigma SD9 OR SD10 plus lenses.

Note: the SD9 needs two sets of batteries; the "internal" 2xCR123 Li jobbies seem not to be working, so I've ordered a new set. Thanks for the enquiries thus far, but, for the time being any potential sale is off, sorry !
Old 7th April 2014

Re: Sigma SD9 OR SD10 plus lenses.

Or do you mean this thread ringneck ?! :-D