Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 21st February 2014

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts
Re: Computer choice Mac or PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Vurus's: OK, I gather the latest software for Windows (free or otherwise) is very good at keeping those pesky critters at bay, so the risk of being infected on a Win machine is being well managed. However, in all the years I have had a Mac, my (ex) wife, my daughter, my son: 7 years in total, across 6 machines (I upgraded once and I bought my wife a Macbook Air a few years ago - I have never installed any anti virus software on any of the machines and we've never had a virus.
Ah, the old Virus debate! I must admit that I can't remember the last time I had a virus on a Windows machine either, but yes I do run free AV solutions.

Unfortunatly these days most viruses etc are spread through phishing attempts and social engineering designed to get users to click on something they shouldn't, and your Mac won't offer you any more protection from doing something silly yourself.
Old 21st February 2014
Senior

Liked 159 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
I have never installed any anti virus software on any of the machines and we've never had a virus.
I've owned Macs for over 20 years now without virus protection, and have never had a virus.

My Zenfolio Site
My Portfolio Site

Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | EE-1 Dot Sight Lumix: G9 | LX100 Nissin: i40
Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135 Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye Tamron: 14-150
Old 21st February 2014

Liked 2,779 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
I've owned Macs for over 20 years now without virus protection, and have never had a virus.
Thats because Mac has been a minority so they have bothered targeting them and virus writers use Mac
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 21st February 2014

Liked 870 Times in 555 Posts

I've used Windows PCs since version 2.0 and only ever had one virus. That jumped aboard while I was "upgrading" from 98 to XP because XP didn't turn its firewall on by default during the upgrade process . It took two hours on the phone to MS to get rid of it. I don't use AV software either, just ZoneAlarm firewall and Mailwasher to identify e-mail problems.
Old 21st February 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Been using all macs at home for about 5 years - Still use PC at work but for me they just do what you want them to do
Old 23rd February 2014

Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts

Windoze machines always get slower and dopier with crud as time and usage goes on. I'd suggest reinstalling the software in the first instance, but after making sure what you need to reinstall. OR, you could replace the hard drive, do a fresh install, and get an adapter to use the old hard drive so you don't lose anything (not that you would). Hard drive re-installation isn't difficult.

As a second option, you could get an Ubuntu or Mint (Linux) on a CD or pendrive, and do a live install on your present machine to see if it zips along, or is sluggish and slow. I reckon it'd be fine.
If you don't like it, move on.

If you do, or you're at least tempted, then you could convert that computer to Linux flavour, and install "Wine" to allow specific Windows applications to run. "Libre Office" is free office software, GIMP is what use for photoediting, and there's a host of other stuff available mostly for free.

"Unless... you hit a snag. And then, unless you are have some sort of geek credentials, you are screwed! And doomed to have to blindly follow cryptic instructions from sweaty on-line nerds."
This isn't much different from if Windows or Macs hit a snag. The difference is that you're using workaraounds with Windows and Macs, as the software is proprietary. With Linux variants, any work on solving problems is actually useful to you in the long run: it'll not usually be a workaraound !

So far, all you've spent is time - unless you got a new HDD.

If you want to go a step further, you could set up a dual boot system, with Windows on one partition and Ubuntu, say, on another - more recent Windows flavours don't shut down, though, they sleep, which can cause problems if you had a third partition with your data on it. Windows wouldn't allow Ubuntu to access it :-( Dual boot is my preferred option for newly-acquired laptops.
(Edit: Partitions on the SAME hard drive; separate hard drives / external hard drives used for data storage = no problem)

Okay, if this doesn't work out, or you've set your mind on a new laptop, my advice would be not to t spend more than GBP 300 unless you really want to ! No need, IMO.

So, that precludes Macs.

However, Macs have far better screens in general, and are better for photoediting out of the box.

I get round this by having purchased a separate mega-screen, which I plug into my latop when I really want good editing of photos. I usually don't bother, though. I'm not selling anything at the moment, so don't see the point in the extra hassle. Mega-screen will last for ten years or more.

I use all sorts of computers, including Macs. Macs are a dream to use, applications might crash, but the system rarely does (due to the way applications are written for use to RAM and the HDD when in use); Windows usually works fine, but when you start getting Blue Screens, you keep getting them - and a "bad" piece of software, or two pieces that conflict, will take down your whole system. Also, Windows get cruddier and cruddier with memory-resident junk (Adobe are terrible for it, as are some Antivirus applications), so a re-install every couple of years is on order. This can take hours, especially if you've lots of software - compared to Ubuntu, say, which takes no more than half an hour, and most of the applications are ready-installed.

I use Windows for work (or Macs), and Ubuntu for play. That way I keep the junk off Windows, and it means I'm much less likely to get progressive slowing of the system, and have been relatively virus-free: Linux doesn't get them, but you do have to keep up with your updates (just like you probably do in Windows).

Any comments, I'm happy to address them here, or by PM.

Last edited by Kami; 23rd February 2014 at 07:58 PM. Reason: HDD clarification
The Following User Says Thank You to Kami For This Useful Post:
dogsbody (24th February 2014)
Old 23rd February 2014

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami View Post
"Unless... you hit a snag. And then, unless you are have some sort of geek credentials, you are screwed! And doomed to have to blindly follow cryptic instructions from sweaty on-line nerds."
This isn't much different from if Windows or Macs hit a snag. The difference is that you're using workaraounds with Windows and Macs, as the software is proprietary. With Linux variants, any work on solving problems is actually useful to you in the long run: it'll not usually be a workaraound !
I regularly witness a huge difference between the online help you get with windows and linux to normal non-IT users. Windows help is normally aimed at the beginner level including instructions within the user realm. EG Which menu or GUI to operate. Linux help almost always jumps straight into command line instructions or editing some text file. Even when Linux has an easy menu/GUI solution. The nerds prefer the command line and often don't know the easy way. This is not acceptable to normal users as you "never" need the command line in normal Linux use. (Nerds will insist you do. But I can vouch for the fact that Linux is so good these days you "never" need it). Blindly pasting instructions into the command line is not learning. And you won't understand the gobbledegook the command line spits out. And when the "simple command" doesn't solve it, you have to tell them what came back, so they can tell you the next thing to type in. It is not solving anything.
I wish there was some Linux forum where the help is aimed at non-IT people. I have searched hard over many years. Please let me know.
Old 23rd February 2014

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami View Post
Okay, if this doesn't work out, or you've set your mind on a new laptop, my advice would be not to t spend more than GBP 300 unless you really want to ! No need, IMO.
Not all things are equal, depends what your expectations are with the software and what you're trying to produce with it. AV production can be quite demanding and not all underpowered machines are capable of doing the heavy lifting.

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 23rd February 2014

@ian_p: I very rarely use SUDO-type command-line stuff in Linux; and end up at START>RUN in Windows more often, in fact. Maybe there's a bit more hunting to be had with all the different Linux flavours, but I'm not a geek, and uncommonly refer to them, sweaty or otherwise. If there's a problem, Google is my friend, as with Windows ! BUT, learning is potentially more useful in Linux as it usually isn't a workaround, as I stated. Okay, if you only use it once, it makes no difference whether it's a workaround or not, whatever it is !

Also, Windows advice is usually more widespread, and can be more centralised, yes: there're more Windows users. And more Windows problems ?!

"Unless... you hit a snag. And then, unless you are have some sort of geek credentials, you are screwed! And doomed to have to blindly follow cryptic instructions from sweaty on-line nerds." This, to me, describes my experience in all three operating systems - Windows, Mac, or Linux - when things go badly wrong. Which they usually don't, in all three :-D

@tomphotfx - sorry, I didn't read the whole thread in detail. Of course, if AV is in the mix, then good graphics cards and lots of RAM is in order - extra £££, and then the discussion makes Windows / Mac more comparable.

I'm just adding my 2d. I like the principles of Open Source.

I also don't see the point of scrapping a machine when a software re-install is all that's required, or an extra gig or two of RAM would help. All too often I've "rescued" machines for nowt for their owners, and it's a frustrating waste, IMO.

Last edited by Kami; 23rd February 2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: adding clarification
Old 23rd February 2014

Anyway, you're detracting from my suggestion @ian_p, which is basically "Give Ubuntu or Mint a try. It's free and doesn't require an install. If you don't like it, move on to the next suggestion."

I'm not suggesting the user spend more than a couple of hours trying a Linux variant. If they don't like it, then a discussion of how difficult it is to solve problems becomes academic.
Old 23rd February 2014

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

Yes. I was just addressing the one point about getting help. Sadly distracting from the fact that Ubuntu and Mint (+others) are highly polished from a layman's perspective. But few here will believe that if you hand them a USB or CD with Ubuntu or Mint on, they could be up an browsing with a full suite of excellent programs in about 35mins just for fun! Then re-start back to their old Windows installation as if nothing had happened.