Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 29th September 2008

Liked 85 Times in 36 Posts
First macro flash attempts

I recently asked a question regarding the use of legacy OM flash equipment with E-series cameras. I received some helpful advice so decided to give it a go. I took the precaution of measuring trigger voltages for myself and saw nothing over about 8 volts.

An initial test of putting a T20 on the E-1 and tinkering with apertures in manual mode did result in an acceptable image. I then tried a T10 ringflash and went looking for spiders. This shot, E-1 + T Power Control 1 + T10 + OM Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 + MF-1 + EC-14. Shutter speed 1/160th, aperture f/11 or f/16, ISO 100.

The next two, E-3 + T Power Control 1 + T10 + OM Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 + MF-1 + EC-14. Shutter speed 1/200th, aperture f/11 or f/16, ISO 100.

Processed using Olympus Master 2, levels and sharpening, third shot cropped from landscape to portrait.

I have never used macro flash kit before (well I have a few years ago but haven't got the film developed yet ) so it is going to be an interesting learning experience. I don't quite get the sharpness I want but that could be a function of the small apertures and diffraction. Going to a larger aperture will then lose DoF

I hope you enjoy them

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 29th September 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: First macro flash attempts

Well - you are shooting the spiders flat so you can probably get away with quite a shallow dof, bit of an angle and those legs dissolve into nothingness.

Nice shots - thanks for sharing.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 30th September 2008
Fluffy

Re: First macro flash attempts

All are nice and particularly the last one. Well done.

Steve