Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 5th October 2013

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
Any update on delivery please?

I am desperately trying not to become impatient over the wait for my E-M1 + 12-40 kit. But because people are now getting their E-M1's and I have a holiday in Lanzarote booked in mid-November I'm starting to twitch.
Does anyone know what the problem with the 12-40 lens is and what is the latest on delivery dates?
Cheers,
Steve

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
The Following User Says Thank You to paullus For This Useful Post:
jamsa (5th October 2013)
Old 5th October 2013

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts
Re: Any update on delivery please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullus View Post
I am desperately trying not to become impatient over the wait for my E-M1 + 12-40 kit. But because people are now getting their E-M1's and I have a holiday in Lanzarote booked in mid-November I'm starting to twitch.
Does anyone know what the problem with the 12-40 lens is and what is the latest on delivery dates?
Cheers,
Steve
I spoke with Dave Collins of LCE Colchester on Thursday and asked the same question as I have an E-M1/12-40 kit on order with him.

Dave told me that they expect to take delivery of the 12-40 kits at the beginning of November.

Bearing in mind that we were told the E-M1 bodies wouldn't be available until mid October and they're here now, I'm hopeful the 12-40 kits will start appearing towards the end of October.

I hope this helps.

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
jamsa (5th October 2013), paullus (5th October 2013)
Old 5th October 2013

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I wish Olympus would just have said what LCE did to make some of us less worried about timescales etc.... ;-)
Old 5th October 2013

Liked 116 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Cheers,
Steve
I've not heard anything about a problem with the 12-40 lens... this must be how rumours start! I imagine Olympus originally planned to have all of the parts available on the same day, but launching a product is incredibly difficult and it seems that either the body was ready slightly earlier than the Pro lens or, more likely, the schedule for the lens slipped. This happens all the time in product development.

Although not widely broadcast, there was information about the likely delivery dates available, but with a product launch, and unknown demand on annoucement, they're an estimate at best. I am as impatient as the next person, but pre-ordering is has to be something of a risk, at least in terms of delivery timing. I've never pre-ordered before, but I don't think I'd bank on having something in my hands in time for a special event.

In the case of the E-M1, the demand seems to have exceeded Olympus's ability to produce product... again quite common in any product development situation, and much preferable to having something that no-one wants sat on the shelves.

There will be some who decide to cancel because they just can't/don't want to wait and Olympus will want to minimise that number. If I were the product manager, I'd now be doing everything I could to ramp up production to ensure that no-one has to wait too long, and I'm sure that's what's happening.

My only criticism is the lack of information on the Olympus on-line shop... no order status apart from the fact the order is placed. My account has been debited, too, which seems odd if there's still a month or more to wait - Olympus really should be giving more in terms of order status.

That's my 2-penn'orth anyway! Steve.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raichea For This Useful Post:
jamsa (5th October 2013), simonknee (7th October 2013), Xenon (5th October 2013)
Old 5th October 2013

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

On Park Cameras website they say E-M1/12-50 kit due week comencing 30th September, this week.
Regards,
Keith
Old 5th October 2013

Hi raichea.
No chance of cancelling I've been waiting for the new camera for months.
I was sure I'd read somewhere that there was a glitch with the 12-40 but maybe I dreamt it.

Interestingly my card was debited for the full amount on 30th September. Maybe they need the cash up front to pay the overtime at the production plant.

Hi KEITHHOWES.
I don't think there's a delay with the 12-50 but there is with the 12-40.
Cheers,
Steve

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 5th October 2013

In which case I still think that the body could be shipped and the lens later fortthose that wish so long as it is ppretty ordered and orchard for...
Old 5th October 2013

Quote:
Hi raichea.
No chance of cancelling I've been waiting for the new camera for months.
I was sure I'd read somewhere that there was a glitch with the 12-40 but maybe I dreamt it.

Interestingly my card was debited for the full amount on 30th September. Maybe they need the cash up front to pay the overtime at the production plant.
I've been waiting for the "E-7" for a long time, too. In fact, just prior to the E-M1 news breaking (in August?), I was beginning to contemplate switching away from Olympus altogether, but having played with the E-M1 at Ian's event, I was sold. Just hoping that m43 doesn't go down the same route 4/3 did! At least this way, I can control the speed of the switch from 4/3 to m43... with Canon/Nikon it would have been all at once. I do like the reduction in bulk compared with C/N, too - the DSLRs were pretty good in that respect, but the E-M1/m43 lenses improve on that.

I have the 4/3 12-60 so I could have gone body only, but I decided the 12-40 as a native m43 with fixed max aperture and the effective price reduction via the bundle was a sufficient draw. But, even if Olympus's cash flow needs a boost, it's a bit off debiting that kind of amount if we're not going to see any deliveries for another 4 or 5 weeks.

Steve
Old 5th October 2013

I don't know if there is legislation regarding charging accounts or cards without delivery within a specific time scale but this might cover it...
Consumers are also protected by The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. These help by giving consumers:The right to receive clear and comprehensive information about the goods or service before deciding to buy, including the supplier's name, the price including taxes, delivery costs and arrangements and how you can pay.You must also be told that you have the right to cancel.When you have placed an order you should get written confirmation of this information - fax, email or letter. This should also include information about how you can cancel the order and by when. Consumers have 7 days from the date of delivery to change their minds and return the goods.The seller must deliver the goods or services within 30 days unless you agree something else. If this doesn't happen you must be refunded within 30 days.
Old 5th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
I have the 4/3 12-60 so I could have gone body only, but I decided the 12-40 as a native m43 with fixed max aperture and the effective price reduction via the bundle was a sufficient draw. But, even if Olympus's cash flow needs a boost, it's a bit off debiting that kind of amount if we're not going to see any deliveries for another 4 or 5 weeks.

Steve

Ditto the 12-60 and the reason for going for the 12-40.
I was trying to be funny when I mentioned the overtime. I would be very very worried if Oly's cash flow was that tight
I'm going to be extremely optimistic and hope that the debiting of my account signals the arrival of my order sooner rather than later.
Fingers firmly crossed as I patiently wait.

Steve

Old 5th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsa View Post
I don't know if there is legislation regarding charging accounts or cards without delivery within a specific time scale but this might cover it...
I'm not that close to looking for legal redress just yet. If we get to Christmas and are still waiting....

Quote:
Ditto the 12-60 and the reason for going for the 12-40.
I was trying to be funny when I mentioned the overtime. I would be very very worried if Oly's cash flow was that tight
I'm going to be extremely optimistic and hope that the debiting of my account signals the arrival of my order sooner rather than later.
Fingers firmly crossed as I patiently wait.

Steve
I with you on both counts....

Steve
Old 5th October 2013

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts

Having posted earlier today that I'd ordered an E-M1 12-40 kit, I decided to take a trip to LCE Colchester.

Dave Collins had told me that he had a 12-50 kit which he'd put aside for me on Thursday however, I confirmed that I would wait for the 12-40 kit to arrive,

When I arrived at LCE today, Dave hadn't gotten round to contacting the next person on the waiting list and still had the 12-50 kit, temptation got the better of me and I bought it, I'll buy a 12-40 lens when they become available.

I'm now waiting for the battery to charge and I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy! :-)

For anyone keen to get their hands on an E-M1, I understand Dave has another 19 on order and due in soon, it may be worth giving LCE Colchester a call, I've found them to be excellent to deal with.

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
G2EWS (6th October 2013), jamsa (5th October 2013)
Old 7th October 2013

Due to the fact that my account had been debited on 30 Sept. I asked the Olympus shop for an order update. I received a form email in reply. Looks like 12-40 orders are November at the earliest. No comment at all about debiting before shipping, even though I did ask.... suggest any 12-40 order holders (with the Oly shop, at least) don't hold their breath....

"Dear friends of Olympus,

you will be happy to know that the first quantities of the new Olympus OM-D will become available beginning of next week. This means that we will ship out the first E-M1 bodies as well as the E-M1 1250mm kit. The 12-40mm kit will become available in November. All items will be shipped to you via express.
Unfortunately, quantities are highly limited at the moment and were immediately sold out due to high demand. Thus we won`t be able to fulfill all pre-order requests right at the sales start. We are now working hard to get as many quantities as possible during the next 3 weeks and we will notify you personally upon their availability."

Steve
Old 7th October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichea View Post
Due to the fact that my account had been debited on 30 Sept. I asked the Olympus shop for an order update. I received a form email in reply. Looks like 12-40 orders are November at the earliest. No comment at all about debiting before shipping, even though I did ask.... suggest any 12-40 order holders (with the Oly shop, at least) don't hold their breath....

"Dear friends of Olympus,

you will be happy to know that the first quantities of the new Olympus OM-D will become available beginning of next week. This means that we will ship out the first E-M1 bodies as well as the E-M1 1250mm kit. The 12-40mm kit will become available in November. All items will be shipped to you via express.
Unfortunately, quantities are highly limited at the moment and were immediately sold out due to high demand. Thus we won`t be able to fulfill all pre-order requests right at the sales start. We are now working hard to get as many quantities as possible during the next 3 weeks and we will notify you personally upon their availability."

Steve
Hi Steve.
Ditto again. I was actually just on the phone to Olympus support with the same enquiry when I found the same message from them in my Spam folder.
The guy on the phone did say a couple of weeks but as you say, I won't be holding my breath.

Steve.

Old 7th October 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Spare a thought for the dealers. Most of us are only awaiting one camera. SRS (and many other dealers, I suspect) were promised a delivery of several cameras on Friday. They've still not turned up. As frustrating for them as it is for us.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
George Dorn (7th October 2013), Wee man (7th October 2013)