Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 16th March 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what sort of battery life are you getting ?

was just wondering what sort of battery life you guys are getting from the supplied battery? also I take it, it is ok, to pop in on charge at any time to top up without effecting battery life ?
Old 16th March 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts
Re: what sort of battery life are you getting ?

I don't take any measures to conseve battery life in my E-M5 but I find a full battery will last me the best part of a day of regular shooting. A second battery will take me from late afternoon through to evening. I've just bought two more 3rd party batteries, making four in total including the Olympus original and I can't imagine this ever being not enough. I don't use a grip.

I'm not sure about part charging affecting battery life but I generally prefer to fully discharge mine before recharging. Hopefully someone else can answer this.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 16th March 2013

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

I find it varies considerably depending on the shooting style. Single shot, walk-about, EVF only, little "chimping" is typcially 300-350.

Continuous burst shooting, 4fps, with the system off between bursts and no chimping has consistently given me over 1000 shots

A cold shoot last week (-4'ish) drained the battery in less than 200 shots!

The LCD seems to be the major source of power drain

edit:

I usually carry 3 spares, 2 of 3rd party make and discharge each battery unitl it stops working before replacing it with a fresh one. I also tend to leave it in the charger for several hours after the light goes out (mainly absent-mindeness but it doesn't seem to do any harm)

One thing I have noticed is that if I don't switch off before changing batteries I can get spurious "low charge" messages with the new, fully charged battery, I don't know if this does any harm?
Old 16th March 2013

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

Like most people I seem to get 300+ shots. Fortunately after market batteries are cheap (though they need their own charger) so it is a good idea to carry a fully charged spare.

As regards advice on topping up or fully discharging there seem to be conflicting opinions. As it is a lithium ion battery it should not have a memory effect so topping up is fine. Some people recommend discharging fully occasionally to re-calibrate the battery charge measuring system.
Old 16th March 2013

Liked 324 Times in 133 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

I've been disappointed with battery life and don't think I have been doing as well as some of the previous posts suggest I should be. Hahnel bateries will charge in an Olympus charger. There is an advantage in getting a third party charger because many will run on 12v as well as 230v so can be used in the car.

EM1i, EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 16th March 2013
mike_j

I have original + 2 third party batteries. I don't seem to get more than about 200 shots from the original and nearer 100-150 from the third party. It also seems that all batteries, but especially the third party, go from a 'full' indication to empty with little warning.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Melaka (16th March 2013)
Old 16th March 2013

Liked 1,327 Times in 625 Posts

You can change the point at which the low battery warning shows, in the default setting it does seem too quick, I think I set mine down 1 step which gives me around 30 shots before it dies, useful when shooting fast action (3rd option in the Utility section)

I found that by setting LCD / EVF switching and post shot image review off I got major extension to battery life (I also made some other changes in settings that helped, which I can't remember, too long ago)
Old 16th March 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the replies
I have turned of image review as I find that annoying. I was was hoping it would help with longer battery life.

I have the HLD-6 battery grip coming with extra battery so I should get more shooting time . I think I will get some more batteries on order just to cover myself would hate to tun out on a day out shooting.