Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 6th March 2013

Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,308 Posts
Liked 2,347 Times in 1,117 Posts
Re: 24 Hour Photo Shoot With Advanced Photographer Magazine.

This is interesting I used to get Photography Monthly on subscription for the last few years but just recently felt it had gone down hill so cancelled my subscription. It may well have coincided with Will Cheung leaving as the Editor as the mag just hasn't been the same. I was looking for a new mag at Focus to sign up to but didn't in the end so maybe I'll try a few Advanced Photographer mags to see how I like it. This idea of a group session sounds really good and I'd definitely like to be involved in it if the date is OK.
Old 6th March 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
This is interesting I used to get Photography Monthly on subscription for the last few years but just recently felt it had gone down hill so cancelled my subscription. It may well have coincided with Will Cheung leaving as the Editor as the mag just hasn't been the same. I was looking for a new mag at Focus to sign up to but didn't in the end so maybe I'll try a few Advanced Photographer mags to see how I like it. This idea of a group session sounds really good and I'd definitely like to be involved in it if the date is OK.
It is certainly one of the better magazines, IMO and well worth trying a few issues if you're looking for a magazine to subscribe to. It doesn't seem to be stocked in all news agents and I think it might only be available from WH Smith, so subscription is definitely the easiest way to get it.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 6th March 2013

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

I've only bought it twice, it does contain the usual basics and it does go deeper - but I'm not that impressed to subscribe though
Have you seen 'Amateur Photographer Advance Photography Skills' - (Quarterly) it goes very deep technically; in the Spring issue the technical content includes sensor design (touches on a little semiconductor theory)...good practical tips - such as using the appropriate focus point instead of the centre one, sorting out your best printing output settings, focus stacking (and a suggested free software) and quite a bit more.....definitely majors on content rather than adverts....I'm quite impressed (but that doesn't take much)
Old 6th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvickers View Post
I've only bought it twice, it does contain the usual basics and it does go deeper - but I'm not that impressed to subscribe though
Have you seen 'Amateur Photographer Advance Photography Skills' - (Quarterly) it goes very deep technically; in the Spring issue the technical content includes sensor design (touches on a little semiconductor theory)...good practical tips - such as using the appropriate focus point instead of the centre one, sorting out your best printing output settings, focus stacking (and a suggested free software) and quite a bit more.....definitely majors on content rather than adverts....I'm quite impressed (but that doesn't take much)
I haven't seen that, Brian. Is it available through newsagents?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 6th March 2013

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

Yes, I bought mine this morning at WHSmith at a service station on the M62.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianvickers For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (6th March 2013)
Old 6th March 2013

Liked 948 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
John, I am interested but, as with most, it depends on dates.
Sapper, I subscribe to Advanced Photographer and find it very inspirational. I don't buy any other mag but consider AP to be very worthwhile.

Shirley
Thanks for this Shirley. I did get an offer of 3 issues for 1 so may give it a try.
My favourite mag has to be Outdoor Photographer.
Old 6th March 2013

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts

And mine is probably the BJP, which always challenges but is more interested in the photography than it is in the gear or technique. Other than those, I do think Advanced Photography can be good as well as Outdoor Photography and Black and White Photography - both of which have high production values and some great images.

Thanks John for pursuing this. Keen to make it (but might bring the X100 too just to add to the non Canikon mix!).
Old 6th March 2013

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSchick View Post
... I do think Advanced Photography can be good as well as Outdoor Photography and Black and White Photography - both of which have high production values and some great images.

Ah yes, I have just discovered Black and White Photography, I have bought it twice recently found it very good. I must admit I am not heavy into the techniques and science behind photography, feels a bit too much like work! However, I love seeing good images which inspire me to go out and experiment. I suppose we all look for different things in a magazine.
Old 6th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSchick View Post
And mine is probably the BJP, which always challenges but is more interested in the photography than it is in the gear or technique. Other than those, I do think Advanced Photography can be good as well as Outdoor Photography and Black and White Photography - both of which have high production values and some great images.

Thanks John for pursuing this. Keen to make it (but might bring the X100 too just to add to the non Canikon mix!).
Other cameras will be welcome - even Canikon! After all, it is really about photographers getting together for a good time and hopefully producing some inspirational pictures. It will also give me the chance to look at an X100.

Old 7th March 2013
Administrator

I've had a reply from Will Cheung; the date is now set for Friday 21st June, 6.00pm start (although you will of course be welcome to arrive any time after that, I can arrange later meeting points for our particular group). Further details, including exact location, to come.

Old 7th March 2013

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

John
Is there any chance of adding my name to the list?
Jim
Old 7th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabeej View Post
John
Is there any chance of adding my name to the list?
Jim
Yes Jim, you've just done it! The more the merrier!

Old 7th March 2013

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

John

I would hope to make the 21st June even if its for a couple of hours only. However, for reasons I can't go into now I won't be able to give a definite yes or no until a lot closer to the day.

Simon
Old 7th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
John

I would hope to make the 21st June even if its for a couple of hours only. However, for reasons I can't go into now I won't be able to give a definite yes or no until a lot closer to the day.

Simon
That's fine, Simon.

Old 17th March 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in London ..
sounds like fun .
why not ..
can you give me a shout Zuiko