Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 29th July 2008

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Spyder3 Elite...

'allo 'allo

Does any of You have eny experience with the Spyder3 Elite monitor calibration device???

Any pitfalls to avoid???

Any good sources for information/help???

I've found this one:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/r...der3elite.html
(usual good information here)

niels
Old 29th July 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Spyder3 Elite...

Dear Niels,

The September 2008 edition of Digital Camera magazine dropped through my door on Saturday which has a feature on colour management. Within the article is a 2 page feature which compares the following monitor calibration devices;

X-Rite ColourMonki (Cost 375 Score 90%)
Pantone Huey Pro (Cost 89 Score 87%)
Spyder 3 Elite (Cost 100 Score 86%)
Studio XR2 (Cost 179 Score 81%)

Quoting from the article the verdict on the Spyder 3 Elite which you are considering is as follows;

"Cutting-edge technology and a professional device for colour management. Currently there is a 40 trade in offer for your old calibration device"

I use the Pantone i1 monitor calibrator which is the same as the Studio XR2, I have been pleased with it but there are now better value solutions such as the device you are considering.

Cheers

Chris
Old 30th July 2008

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

I find it very good,seems to work well for me
Old 30th July 2008

Liked 1,632 Times in 1,044 Posts

I've got an Eye-One Display 2, which has many recommendations. It works very well, but I've now got a Color Munki so I can profile printing as well.

Jim
Old 30th July 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Jim,

What are your impressions of the Colourmunki? Is it easy to produce a good printer profile? I have read some comments that it is a skill that needs a lot of practice.

If you do have time to post your thoughts I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Chris
Old 30th July 2008

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks a lot all.

Chris I'll keep an eye open for Digital Camera. It'll hit the new stand here in Aarhus in a couple of weeks.

There's also a couple of interesting threads at "the Sister": http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

And an instruction/review video at: http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/Mis...pyder%203.html (with a very exciting beginning;-)))

I think I'll for for the Spyder...

niels
Old 31st July 2008

Liked 1,632 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainD View Post
What are your impressions of the Colourmunki? Is it easy to produce a good printer profile? I have read some comments that it is a skill that needs a lot of practice.
It's quite easy and automatic to produce a printer profile - there's no actual skill required.

You print the 1st target using the printer/paper/ink of your choice, then having done that, you scan each stripe of colours. You then print and scan a second target. At this point you have a usable profile, but you can further refine it by inputting images that you've selected, containing colours that are typical of the ones you're most interested in getting 'right' - e.g. if you do a lot of nature shots, input a typical one. You can repeat this refining process as many times as you like.

The only problem I've encountered is in scanning some stripes - I've sometimes had to try several times.

Whether the profiles produced are particulary 'good' it's difficult to say. The output to the printer look OK, but commercial profiles at 15+ each may be better.

I'd offer to produce a profile for you, but the way the system works you need to have the scanner and software on the computer that the printer is attached to. I believe that you can work around this limitation by outputting the targets at my end to PDFs, then sending the PDFs to the end user. If you like I can give this a try for you. Let me know.

Jim
Old 3rd August 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

I just got the Spyder3 Studio yesterday which includes the Spyder3 Elite and the Spyder 3 Print Colorimeter. Calibrating my laptop was really easy and quick! t-up I also produced a profile for my printer (HP Dskjet 1220c) Unfortunately the printer is very old , so its "dynamic range" is not that good. But the color output is so much more brilliant and it also got rid of that HP typical green cast that was usually covering all colour prints!

I think this is a really good package and everything is fairly self explanatory. The only hickup that I had so far is that for some reason the screen calibration is not active when I switch on the computer, but I have to manually activate it. There is probably still some old setting running in the background that prevents it from loading it as a preset...the laptop is very old, too...

Regards

Frank
Old 3rd August 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Exclamation Re: Spyder3 Elite...

All these systems are good but I like to use Mk1 eyeballs.

I downloaded the Fujical image and sent off for one of the calibrated prints. Then set up my machine to get as close a match as I could detect just by comparing the two side by side. When I checked it with a calibrator I was so close as to not be able to detect a difference between calibration on and off.

So give it a try. It will cost you nothing.

http://www.peak-imaging.com/images/fujical/Fujical.jpg

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...