Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 13th November 2012

Liked 2,313 Times in 1,524 Posts
OM Users' Den?

Well, I for one am very happy that we have this new forum, as I still own two OM4Ti cameras, plus an OM2 SP, a very comprehensive Mamiya 645 outfit, and a Kodak Retina; most of which get used as often as possible.

Despite the best efforts of the camera manufacturers, film has not gone away, and if anything, it seems to be enjoying a revival. Likewise, I still enjoy trying new films, most of which I process myself at home.

The only camera that I don't use at present is one of the OM4Ti's, which I aquired new, in its box, just a few years ago, and feel like keeping in pristine condition for a while yet at least.

Anyhow, just to remind everyone what film images looked like, and how good the OM Series film cameras were, I have posted a couple of my photos here. Both were taken on my OM4Ti using Velvia 50, and scanned using a Nikon film scanner.

These have been around for a while, but now I know that film is welcome here I shall upload some more.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th November 2012

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Re: OM Users' Den?

Nice stuff, Nigel - both the cameras and the output. I sold my 2SP long ago, as soon as it became clear that spares would be a problem (even though it was my favourite electronic OM, I preferred the vertical LED display and always-available spot metering), and for similar reasons, though not so pressing, sold the 4Ti too. The 3Ti went to fund the E-1, so I am left with just an OM-1n as a bullet-proof always repairiable body.... although an OM2n came to join it a couple of years ago - I couldn't turn it down!

I loaned my 645 out on approval-with-view-to-buy, but the b@st@rd has done a runner. Had it away with the Flektogon 50 too :-(

So that leaves me with, hmm, let's see, Leica IIIc, Fuji GW690II, Ikonta 6x9, and a Leningrad (camera, not exposure meter). And a C33. Oh, nearly forgot the XA!

There are some others too...

Piers
Old 13th November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts

Thanks for getting this forum off to a great start, Nigel.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th November 2012

I might add that I came perilously close to buying a mint RB67 from a camera shop in Newcastle.

The thought of 6 x 7 centimetre exposures on Velvia or FP4 + was somehow very seductive, but thankfully, somebody else beat me to it, as otherwise I would probably have suffered a hernia by now carrying it up Roseberry Topping.

6 x 4.5 or 6 x 6 should be enough for anyone, but somehow it isn't.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th November 2012
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm lucky enough to have my dads old om 20 with 24mm 28mm, 50mm and 135mm lenses. Plus iv added to that with a flash and a fill set of extention tubes.

Love using it, make me think a little more about what I'm doing.
Old 13th November 2012

For me, there is something rather special about using an OM with a fast prime lens, seeing the image in that big, bright viewfinder snap in and out of focus, and being able to concentrate on composition without the distraction of all the extraneous information provided on modern cameras.

Better still, using a medium format camera with waist level finder is like opening a window on the world, rather than looking at it through a porthole with dark glass fitted!

However, going back to the OM series; for what it's worth, I still believe the exposure system fitted to the OM3Ti and OM4Ti models (incorporating multiple spot metering) was probably the best used in any camera to the present day, and was better in many respects than a hand-held exposure meter.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th November 2012

Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts

It's nice to see I'm not the only one here to enjoy using film. I own (at the moment!!), an OM1, OM10, OM4ti and a Pentax SV, all with an assortment of lenses.

I'll have to sort out some old negs and slides to upload.
Old 13th November 2012

Just to add to the above, and so my Mamiya doesn't feel left out, the photograph below was shot on the Mamiya 645 using Velvia 50.

This new forum has made me think I must do some more scanning and uploading!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th November 2012

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

I still have my OM1 from 1976, 4 OM2n, 12+ primes and an equipment cabinet drawer of macro and macro flash bits and pieces.

I also shot a variety of medium and large format from the late 70's to the early 90's.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 14th November 2012

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am glad to see that people still use and appreciate the OM System. I am still a regular user of my 4ti's, 3Ti, 1n and a bunch of lenses from 21 to 180mm. I love the muti spot metering system in the later modules and the OM System macro lenses are the best I have used.

Quote:
The only camera that I don't use at present is one of the OM4Ti's, which I aquired new, in its box, just a few years ago, and feel like keeping in pristine condition for a while yet at least.
I also have one like this as I want to preserve one nice example. It does get exercised once a year when I go on holiday, so the family have nicknamed it 'holidaycam'
Old 14th November 2012

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

I forgot my OM4T and little XA. Most of my bodies are far from mint and some have been recovered in a silicon anti slip covering for when it's -40C and you have two pairs of gloves on.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 14th November 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

'A medium format camera with waist level finder is like opening a window on the world, rather than looking at it through a porthole with dark glass fitted!'

Couldn't agree more, have always yearned to own a Blad' 500CM and last year managed to fulfil that with a kit inc the whopping 40mm f4.o, metered prism and 20Mb digital back! It's not had a lot of use yet, as my OM-D was purchased a few months after that, but the two distinctly different 'shooting' diciplines kind of expand your imagination.
Old 14th November 2012

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts

Recently converted to OM1, getting a decent shot is only possible though thanks to the digital age....... I can take a shot with digital........then offer up my OM1n under similar settings and by the exposure meter I know I am going to get a decent exposure and timing............... need to work on my iso settings.

Have developed at home three B & W Ilford 400 iso rolls now...with the third one providing 36 exposures, and I am reasonably happy.

I love the look and feel and the smell attached to film..........but I love the simplicity and instantaneous result of digital. We need both.

Another few years and then Medium Format for me.

Old 21st November 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidslateinlife View Post
Recently converted to OM1, getting a decent shot is only possible though thanks to the digital age....... I can take a shot with digital........then offer up my OM1n under similar settings and by the exposure meter I know I am going to get a decent exposure and timing............... need to work on my iso settings.

Have developed at home three B & W Ilford 400 iso rolls now...with the third one providing 36 exposures, and I am reasonably happy.

I love the look and feel and the smell attached to film..........but I love the simplicity and instantaneous result of digital. We need both.

Another few years and then Medium Format for me.

I love the picture of your little girl. Enjoy her before she gets too cheeky - and expensive!

Are you having problems with the metering on your OM1? I believe they need mercury cells (which are no longer available), or a modification to allow them to work with current lithium, zinc and silver cells. (There are regular threads about this on the AP forum.)

However, I would be wary of using a digital camera as an exposure reference, as the ISO sensitivity of digital cameras is often very different to the stated speed. (For example, the true ISO sensitivity of digital cameras is often much lower than stated on the speed dial, to help reduce sensor noise.)

If you think about it, the ISO sensitivity of a digital camera can be whatever it wants, as it only has to meter for the CCD in that camera. In other words, it is a closed circuit, and doesn't need to conform to any third party standards. Meanwhile, the exposure meter in a film camera must be both reasonably accurate, and consistent throughout the speed range, as film emulsions are formulated to provide a standard ISO sensitivity as stated on the box.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 21st November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I love the picture of your little girl. Enjoy her before she gets too cheeky - and expensive!

Are you having problems with the metering on your OM1? I believe they need mercury cells (which are no longer available), or a modification to allow them to work with current lithium, zinc and silver cells. (There are regular threads about this on the AP forum.)

However, I would be wary of using a digital camera as an exposure reference, as the ISO sensitivity of digital cameras is often very different to the stated speed. (For example, the true ISO sensitivity of digital cameras is often much lower than satiated on the speed dial, to help reduce sensor noise.)

If you think about it, the ISO sensitivity of a digital camera can be whatever it wants, as it only has to meter for the CCD in that camera. In other words, it is a closed circuit, and doesn't need to conform to any third part standards. Meanwhile, the exposure meter in a film camera must be both reasonably accurate, and consistent throughout the speed range, as film emulsions are formulated to provide a standard ISO sensitivity as stated on the box.
Very true, Nigel.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Tags
film, om series, velvia