Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 3rd November 2010
Kiwi Paul

Quick camera preset / reset E3/ E5 / E30

I may be telling you how to suck eggs here but I recently discovered how easy it is to preconfigure 2 standard setups for the E3 and presumably the E5 and E30.

We have all done it, taken a shot only to realise the camera is still in manual focus or IS or AF is in the wrong mode etc etc, wouldn't it be great if you could just press a button and "viola" a preconfigured setup for hand holding or tripod use or whatever is achieved.

Well it's dead easy, I know MY Mode sort of does that but it's clumsy through the menus or requires you to hold the function button down to access that mode.

My solution; set the camera to how you want it as a default then go through the menus and set the "custom reset1", when reset using "reset1" the camera will fall back to those settings, set it up for another use say for shooting on a tripod and set that as "reset2".

Now the easy bit, to reset the camera at any time to either of these settings simply press the ISO and exposure compensation buttons together, wait 2 secs the screen prompts you for which reset you want, use the wheel to select if necessary then release, that's it the camera is now in that mode, easy peezy

Paul
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Andel (3rd November 2010), Garrie (3rd November 2010), michaelavis (3rd November 2010), Olybirder (5th September 2013), Shaw (3rd November 2010), Wee man (3rd November 2010)
Old 3rd November 2010
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Quick camera preset / reset E3/ E5 / E30

Thats a pretty cool tip, thanks
Old 3rd November 2010
Kiwi Paul

Using My Mode (which is actually easily accessible using the Mode button and wheel) and the reset you can have 4 different modes configured in the E3.
The only thing to be aware of using the reset is if you say set the mode to be aperture priority when setting the reset1 function but you are in shutter priority when you reset, the camera will stay in shutter priority but all other settings will default to what you set them to when you configured it.

Paul
Old 5th September 2013

Liked 3,078 Times in 881 Posts

I have just discovered this old thread and it is exactly what I was looking for. The trick of holding down the ISO and Exposure Compensation buttons at the same time is a very convenient way of accessing the Custom Resets, even if it does involve rather a lot of fingers and thumbs. I now have my normal settings as Reset 1 and my BIF settings as Reset 2. I have registered the Reset 2 settings to My Mode 1 and that is assigned to the Function button. That means that I can use the camera on its normal settings but if I wish to take a quick BIF shot I simply press the Function button as I shoot. Releasing the Function button returns the camera to its normal settings.

Thanks Paul.

Ron
Old 5th September 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bloody hell ......... and I thought CTL+ALT+DEL was bad enough on computers

Thanks for the info - may try it out on my E30

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.