Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 24th August 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,473 Times in 2,124 Posts
Talking New E-M5 .... Let's get all the moaning done first!

I finally found time this evening to sit down undisturbed with my new acquisition, in front of the computer with the pdf instruction manual. I can appreciate the lack of a paper manual on environmental grounds, but by the time they have printed the “Basic Manual” (very basic, with helpful tips like don’t swallow the batteries) in every language in the known Universe, they could have printed the full version in just one language using less paper.

One of my first jobs was to switch the Super Control Panel on. It bemuses me why this should even be necessary; can you think of any reason why you wouldn’t want it? It’s a bit like buying a new car and needing to turn on the dashboard display or making Windows visible on a new PC. Next job was to turn Live Guides and Mode Guides off. On a 1000 semi-pro camera? Really? Then, before it got overlooked, I turned off the warm bias for AWB – err, isn’t that what the custom settings are for?

I can understand needing to configure button and dials as we all have individual preferences for this, same as what info is displayed in Record View and for how long. The number of options and possible customisations for this camera is awesome in the true meaning of the word and sometimes more than a little bewildering. Why is it then that Auto Exposure Bracketing apparently has no shortcut, does not feature on the SCP and cannot be assigned to one of the configurable buttons, or have I missed something? It took 15 button presses, if I counted correctly, to scroll the menus, select 3 frames @ +/- 0.7 EV and return to shooting mode. To me it would be a far more useful option than, say, quick WB adjustment, given the huge control over WB when processing raw files. It wouldn’t matter if you were shooting at 5600K and really needed 3300K, just move the slider in pp and it’s job done.

I also found it curious that there doesn’t appear to be a volume adjustment for the focus confirmation “beep,” it’s either on or off. I’m sure that even my E-PL1 allows volume adjustment. It’s a shame, particularly considering how quiet the shutter is.

So I’ve got a new (to me) camera and all I can do is whinge. Not at all, most of the issues I have come up against so far are minor points, just nit-picking really. It’s far easier to concentrate on the problems of the E-M5 rather than the advantages, because I can list them all on a page instead of needing to write a book! Just one example of a really nice touch is how the image viewed in the EVF can be configured either as full screen, with information overlay, or inset within a frame with the info outside the image area. This has particular advantages for me, as a glasses wearer, because it enables me to see all four corners of the image simultaneously.

It’s early days yet, of course, and I’m still becoming familiar with the handling. It’s really nice, however, to use a small camera without forever accidentally pressing the wrong button or accidentally moving a dial. Oh, and did I say it looks really neat with the Panasonic 14-45mm attached? I think I’m going to love the E-M5 as much as my old OM film cameras – after all, it is part of the same family!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th August 2012
Administrator

Re: New E-M5 .... Let's get all the moaning done first!

One more whinge I forgot - I had to delve into the menus to enable LSF JPEGs, rather than just LF. Once again, why would Olympus want to hide their best quality JPEGs?

Fitting the neck strap was also mighty difficult, but that one's down to me and my mate Parky, not Olympus!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 24th August 2012

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,134 Times in 1,140 Posts

Congratulations on getting your E-M5. I'm sure you will love it, despite little things that could have been different. It is good with the guides for knew users coming up from compact cameras & wanting a really decent camera even if you & I don't want them. As they learn they can grow with more options available in the camera. Don't forget, the 'warm' bias is only for incandescent AWB (according to the manual p. 90).

When you set your option for the 4 way keys, I have mine set to direct function (to have more direct function keys) which still allows focus point selection with one button push instead (followed by dials if desired) with Drive Mode set for down [v] & ISO for the right key [>] with the default left key [<] being to select the focus point [...] & the up key [^] to exp. compensation [+/-] (as seen in the manual on the bottom of page 94) & all these can then be quickly selected with front & back dials (or the 4 way keys if that takes your fancy). BTW, the Bracketing can also be selected quicker with the dials too (instead of all those button pushes ). I have left AEL (AFL) on [fn 1] (with AEL set to Spot Metering & AFL to Mode 3 for MF), Multi Function on [fn 2] with Magnify usually left last selected, but generally use the 'Touch to Focus' function to change the focus point size & since I only do video recording on the odd occasion, I set the record (O) button to MF (toggle). I think I've got mine set reasonably to how I best like it, including adjusting the colour cast in the EVF to match the display better (for me).

I have gone to a lot of explanation in this, not because you need it but for others that have recently got the E-M5 to read it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
One more whinge I forgot - I had to delve into the menus to enable LSF JPEGs, rather than just LF. Once again, why would Olympus want to hide their best quality JPEGs ?

Fitting the neck strap was also mighty difficult, but that one's down to me and my mate Parky, not Olympus!
Not another whinge! Funny, Pom & whinge seems to go together like..... (don't forget my father was a Pom too & I learn well )

Oh yes, the LSF & LF subject. Probably the same reason why their software doesn't include LSF either.

Well at least your mate Parky & 5 axis IBIS should get on well.

I wish you all the very best with this John & hope you have lots of enjoyment out of it.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
jamsa (24th August 2012)
Old 24th August 2012

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

Yes, it took me three attempts (and two batteries) going right through the menus and checking every setting to get the beast how I wanted it. I eventually wrote all the settings down in an Excel file in case I forgot them...

Even now I occasionally tweak something slightly and save the result in one of the "my favourite settings" (I stil wish you could name them somehow)

Anyway, well done and get stuck in to making pictures once you have the settings refined :-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
The Following User Says Thank You to snaarman For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (24th August 2012)
Old 24th August 2012

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Just wait until the battery runs out,that will really make you mad.

When you've got the camera set how you want it save the settings in a Myset,easy to get them back again when you change one thing and it seems to do about 10 others at the same time(done it a few times).
Shame it's not possible to custom name the Mysets,my moan.

Looking forward to some results.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 24th August 2012

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

And don't forget that when you upgrade the firmware there is a good chance that you will lose all the customisations. I try to write them all down, but when you are blundering around with an unfamiliar camera trying to set it how you like it, it's easy to overlook a few things.

As a matter of interest John, since you say you shoot raw, why do you want large JPEGs as well? I found that at LSF they were eating the disks and now shoot raw plus medium super-fine JPEG. Then I've got the JPEG for when it works and it's a manageable size to send around, and full-sized raw files for when they need work.

Ciao ... John
Old 24th August 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Once you've mastered the steps involved, you can save one of the Mysets to be AEB. The real difficulty lies in remembering which one you've set it to ....

PS for once, I didn't lose any customisations when I upgraded the firmware. Most un-Olympus-like! Unless the firmware upgrade didn't work properly ...

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 24th August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Once you've mastered the steps involved, you can save one of the Mysets to be AEB. The real difficulty lies in remembering which one you've set it to ....

PS for once, I didn't lose any customisations when I upgraded the firmware. Most un-Olympus-like! Unless the firmware upgrade didn't work properly ...
Yes, that seems to be the only way to quickly access AEB. I've set up Mymode 1 as a sort of grab shot mode, including 3 shots +/- 0.7 EV AEB. For the time being I'm sticking to just the one Mymode, then there will be no confusion.

Old 24th August 2012

Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts

Glad to see you're getting your head around it Zuiko!
We have just been down to our local nature reserve to grab some Dragonfly shots.
Mine look good on the OLED, but the real test is to load them on to the computer which I will do later.
I have to say that the handling was great, as was the weight. So a very happy bunny here.
Oh and thanks for the tips Ross!
Old 24th August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Congratulations on getting your E-M5. I'm sure you will love it, despite little things that could have been different. It is good with the guides for knew users coming up from compact cameras & wanting a really decent camera even if you & I don't want them. As they learn they can grow with more options available in the camera. Don't forget, the 'warm' bias is only for incandescent AWB (according to the manual p. 90).

When you set your option for the 4 way keys, I have mine set to direct function (to have more direct function keys) which still allows focus point selection with one button push instead (followed by dials if desired) with Drive Mode set for down [v] & ISO for the right key [>] with the default left key [<] being to select the focus point [...] & the up key [^] to exp. compensation [+/-] (as seen in the manual on the bottom of page 94) & all these can then be quickly selected with front & back dials (or the 4 way keys if that takes your fancy). BTW, the Bracketing can also be selected quicker with the dials too (instead of all those button pushes ). I have left AEL (AFL) on [fn 1] (with AEL set to Spot Metering & AFL to Mode 3 for MF), Multi Function on [fn 2] with Magnify usually left last selected, but generally use the 'Touch to Focus' function to change the focus point size & since I only do video recording on the odd occasion, I set the record (O) button to MF (toggle). I think I've got mine set reasonably to how I best like it, including adjusting the colour cast in the EVF to match the display better (for me).

I have gone to a lot of explanation in this, not because you need it but for others that have recently got the E-M5 to read it too.

Not another whinge! Funny, Pom & whinge seems to go together like..... (don't forget my father was a Pom too & I learn well )

Oh yes, the LSF & LF subject. Probably the same reason why their software doesn't include LSF either.

Well at least your mate Parky & 5 axis IBIS should get on well.

I wish you all the very best with this John & hope you have lots of enjoyment out of it.

Thanks Ross, I hadn't considered that using the dials to navigate the menus is quicker that pushing buttons, but it is!

I've set up somewhat differently than you; fn1 = Mymode, fn2 = ISO, (O) = DOF Preview, <> = focus point, front dial =exposure compensation, back dial = shutter/aperture depending on the mode selected. Just shows how configurable the camera is, covering the individual requirements for virtually everyone.

Old 24th August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post

Shame it's not possible to custom name the Mysets,my moan.
That would make good sense! At the moment I have only set up one Myset, so there is less chance of confusion.

Old 24th August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post

As a matter of interest John, since you say you shoot raw, why do you want large JPEGs as well? I found that at LSF they were eating the disks and now shoot raw plus medium super-fine JPEG. Then I've got the JPEG for when it works and it's a manageable size to send around, and full-sized raw files for when they need work.

Ciao ... John
Good point John. I mainly, but not always shoot raw. For those times when I choose to shoot JPEG only I prefer to have the highest quality/lowest compression. When I shoot raw?JPEG I do use a much smaller JPEG file.

Old 24th August 2012

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Good point John. I mainly, but not always shoot raw. For those times when I choose to shoot JPEG only I prefer to have the highest quality/lowest compression. When I shoot raw?JPEG I do use a much smaller JPEG file.
Ah - makes perfect sense, thanks. I wondered if there was something I was missing.

Good suggestion for dof preview on the video button. I haven't assigned that one yet, was thinking about toggling MF on & off but this sounds better.

Ciao ... John
Old 24th August 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyboot View Post
Glad to see you're getting your head around it Zuiko!
We have just been down to our local nature reserve to grab some Dragonfly shots.
Mine look good on the OLED, but the real test is to load them on to the computer which I will do later.
I have to say that the handling was great, as was the weight. So a very happy bunny here.
Oh and thanks for the tips Ross!
You're one step ahead of me, Welly, you're actually using it!

Old 24th August 2012

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Yes, that seems to be the only way to quickly access AEB. I've set up Mymode 1 as a sort of grab shot mode, including 3 shots +/- 0.7 EV AEB. For the time being I'm sticking to just the one Mymode, then there will be no confusion.
John,
I used to have my E3 set by default to AEB with 3x 0.3EV because I used to get such a lot of blown highlights. (No doubt this was due to poor operator technique), however...
Now I find that the E-M5's extra DR, and the ability to pre-check a histogram in the EVF means that the blown highlight problem is pretty much eliminated and I can get a usably exposed shot with one click. This has the benefit of drastically reducing the number of images to review when I subsequently run the RAW files through Lightroom.

So, even though the E-M5 battery capacity is lower than the E3, I can still capture a similar number of different images as previously.