Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 7th June 2012

Liked 948 Times in 364 Posts
Re: ESSEX COAST - TOLLESBURY - 24th June

Sorry for the slow reply. No internet at my Essex home till 13th June so having to cadge access from son in law.
Not sure I want to do a 5am start, depends on weather I suppose, but if I do I will need to home to catch up on sleep and come out again pm.
Old 9th June 2012

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I'm happy either way 5 ish or 9 ish, although I'm unlikely to be able to stay all day. Will have to get back home around lunchtime.

Simon
Old 10th June 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,469 Posts
Liked 4,469 Times in 2,123 Posts

I see there is a sort of luke warm enthusiam for the early start and I'm in that camp myself. As Dave says, it really depends on the weather. High tide is about 4.00am and that might restrict where we can park at the front, although there is ample parking further back in the village.

I'll visit Tollesbury sometime this week to re-familiarize myself with the parking facilities and also check on the cafe situation, i.e. do they open on Sundays and if so what time?

Perhaps we should make a final decision regarding meet-up time nearer the event, when we might have a better idea what weather we can expect.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 10th June 2012

John

I normal park in the little car park next to the village hall just before the sailing club. From memory there are public toilets there too.

I then walk up the track past the sewage works (not the nicest smelling place) to the sea wall and then walk along to boat yards / marina.

Depending on how high the tide is, it maybe difficult (wet) just beyond the sailing club, I know the road has been flooded once when I've been there. Not sure how deep it gets.

Personally I prefer Tollesbury when the tide is slightly lower and the marshes are exposed, love the old timber pedestrian bridges which span from one dry area to the next, although I've never gone out far on them (not sure if some of them could take my weight!)

Simon
Old 10th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
John

I normal park in the little car park next to the village hall just before the sailing club. From memory there are public toilets there too.

I then walk up the track past the sewage works (not the nicest smelling place) to the sea wall and then walk along to boat yards / marina.

Depending on how high the tide is, it maybe difficult (wet) just beyond the sailing club, I know the road has been flooded once when I've been there. Not sure how deep it gets.

Personally I prefer Tollesbury when the tide is slightly lower and the marshes are exposed, love the old timber pedestrian bridges which span from one dry area to the next, although I've never gone out far on them (not sure if some of them could take my weight!)

Simon
Yes, there is parking by the toilets, a short walk from the front. The toilets were closed last year by Maldon District Council as a cost saving measure, however I have heard that there was a successful campaign to get them re-opened and that's one of the things I want to check!

I agree that this type of place is more interesting with the tide out; luckily it will be a falling tide from about 4.00am.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 15th June 2012
Administrator

OK, some bad news and some good news. First the bad, the toilets are still closed.

But now the good news - the cafe does open on Sundays, 9.00am until 2.00pm.

I suggest we officially meet in the cafe for breakfast at 9.00am, but if the weather is good I will be there earlier and will be pleased to meet up with any other early risers.

Please let me know if you will be at the cafe, or if you'd like to meet earlier and at what time.

I will post some maps and directions later.

Old 15th June 2012

OK for me John. 9am in the cafe. I may be able to get there earlier but will still make the 9am meet.
Old 15th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
OK for me John. 9am in the cafe. I may be able to get there earlier but will still make the 9am meet.
That's great, I'm looking forward to seeing you again, Dave. I'll look out for you before the cafe opens if it's a nice morning. I'll also PM my mobile number to participants nearer the time. At the moment it's, ahem, mislaid and I've either got to find it or buy a new one.

Old 15th June 2012

John, could you post a post code or link for the cafe?
Old 16th June 2012

I'll probably try and get there before 9am if the weather is nice and depending on the type of week I've have in the office (if it's been like this week starting at 7pm and finishing about 7-8pm then I might not have the energy to get up early).

I'll confirm what I'm doing next Friday if that's OK. If anyone is there before 9am great, but if not, I'm sure I can keep myself entertained for a while and burn some calories off ready for the breakfast.

Simon
Old 18th June 2012
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

I want to come to this as Tollesbury is that local foreign land across the marches and up the creek from us on Mersea Island.

However it's the yacht club summer ball on the 23rd so a) I might not have gone to bed yet and b) will almost certainly be in no fit state to even hold a camera let alone operate it

Hec
Old 18th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
I want to come to this as Tollesbury is that local foreign land across the marches and up the creek from us on Mersea Island.

However it's the yacht club summer ball on the 23rd so a) I might not have gone to bed yet and b) will almost certainly be in no fit state to even hold a camera let alone operate it

Hec
Who needs sleep? Just come straight from the ball for a dawn start and bring a tripod to keep the camera steady. I can guarantee you will be in top form at being grumpy!

Failing that, you could always join us in the afternoon at Linda's club exhibition.

Old 19th June 2012
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Who needs sleep? Just come straight from the ball for a dawn start and bring a tripod to keep the camera steady. I can guarantee you will be in top form at being grumpy!

Failing that, you could always join us in the afternoon at Linda's club exhibition.
I may try depending on whether or not I have ingested any dodgy carrots. I predict a slooowwwww day

cheers

Hec
Zuiko (19th June 2012)
Old 19th June 2012
Administrator

Basic information about the cafe can be found here. The address is listed as 4 Woodrolfe Road but I think it should be 41. The post code is CM9 8SB and telephone number 01621 869980. The telephone number I know is correct because I have phoned them! The location shown on the clickable map in the link is also accurate and there is a picture of the cafe which can be enlarged by clicking.

There is only one road into Tollesbury, the B1023, which upon entering the village becomes named the High Street and then East Street. Look out for where the road forks and turn left into Woodrolfe Road, sign posted to the waterfront industrial area. On the left (before you get to the cafe) is a car park where the closed toilets are situated and also bottle and clothing banks - it is signed as the Recycling Facility. Park here and the cafe is just a little further along Woodrolfe road, also on the left. The road continues for a short way past the cafe to the waterfront and salt marshes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
LMGruchy (19th June 2012), sapper (19th June 2012)
Old 21st June 2012
Administrator

The weather forecast for Tollesbury on Sunday is looking rather disappointing at the moment. Unless it changes I think I'll aim to meet in the cafe at 9.00, but will review the forecast again in a few days time, it does have a habit of changing! I've found my mobile now (which saves the most unwanted expense of replacing it) so I'll PM the number to Dave, Simon, Linda and Hec. I realize that Linda and Hec may well not be able to make it, for entirely different reasons - Linda has to get herself ready for an exhibition and Hec will probably be recovering from making an exhibition of himself!

If anyone else is interested please let me know.

Also, even if you cannot make the morning photo shoot, remember Linda's camera club exhibition at Great Totham all day Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Details here.