Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds Discuss the newly announced Micro Four Thirds addition to the Four Thirds system family here.

Old 27th January 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,473 Times in 2,124 Posts
Talking Why the OM-D might be the best camera EVER

There's a massive cynical streak within me that leads me to believe that most manufacturers have a stockpile of technical innovations, which if released all at once in the next model would truly transform and improve their products out of all recognition. Olympus are no exception. So why don't any of them give us that killer camera?

Without doubt for a while sales would be massive, but what then? Having put all their eggs in one basket they'd have nothing left in the cupboard (oh, I do love mixing metaphors). Far more profitable to drip feed this techno stockpile to a loyal, eager and gullible fan-base. On that basis they can get most people to upgrade (buy a new camera) at least once a year and some of them twice! However, I've got a feeling that Olympus might be on the verge of giving us the crown jewels all in one go.

So what's changed for Olympus? Well, they've recently had a massive scandal that has severely tarnished their reputation, damaged consumer confidence and almost ruined the company. If ever there was a time to unpack all they have in their locker, this is it!

New sensor? No problem, just get out the one they’ve had in reserve for the last three years – you know, 24mp, 20EV dynamic range, clean and noiseless ISO 25600.

AF with regular Four Thirds lenses? Why not? Time to roll out the MFT on-sensor PDAF they perfected two years ago.

Inbuilt EVF? O.K. the recently developed 3 million dots unit not scheduled for another four years can go NOW!

And let ‘em have the weatherproof body that was scheduled to go this time anyway!

What else? How about 25fps unlimited raws, 10 stop IBIS and detachable touch-screen LCD that can operate the camera wirelessly with live view from 50 metres. And that 100mm regular Four Thirds macro lens that’s been getting dusty on the shelf since, well, I don’t know!

Oh, and keep the price below £1000. Anything to restore confidence and rebuild esteem.

So you see we might, just might, profit from the company’s misfortunes and get that once in a lifetime camera payday!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
StephenL (27th January 2012), zuiko-holic (27th January 2012)
Old 27th January 2012

Location: West Arm of Lake Nipissing, near Sudbury, ON Canada
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Why the OM-D might be the best camera EVER

Oh boy... I just pop over here from FTU and I see this. John, you know what the doctor said about taking all those meds at once....
Old 27th January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Arm Rider View Post
Oh boy... I just pop over here from FTU and I see this. John, you know what the doctor said about taking all those meds at once....
The meds I'm on tonight were not prescribed by the doctor!

I thought the rumours were starting to die down a bit so time to give them a bit of a stoke! Tomorrow on DPReview someone will be quoting this as an official announcement of the specs!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 27th January 2012

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,141 Posts

I think both you guys must be on something good to be up after 2:00 am. Don't you believe in sleep?

Ah well, we can at least dream about something good coming. It at least adds to some of the pleasures in life (as well as those unprescribed niceties ).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 27th January 2012

Thanked 1,417 Times in 1,308 Posts
Liked 2,347 Times in 1,117 Posts

Drool if only....!
Talking about sleep maybe I'll wake up soon.
Old 27th January 2012
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Keep taking the pills - Oh you are

That would be one mighty bit of kit.

Anyway back on planet Earth
Old 27th January 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

I'm checking my bank balance John

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 27th January 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
I'm checking my bank balance John
No need to worry, Huw, I've just heard that Olympus are going to offer a straight swap for any existing E-Series camera, as a reward for their long-suffering loyal users!

Old 27th January 2012

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
No need to worry, Huw, I've just heard that Olympus are going to offer a straight swap for any existing E-Series camera, as a reward for their long-suffering loyal users!
Ha ha, now that would be a dilemma

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 27th January 2012
Administrator

Liked 1,581 Times in 911 Posts

No good unless it has Real Time Exposure (RTE) control of Off Camera Flash with FL-100 RC units that recycle fast enough to get 5fps at full power and the full 25fps at 50GN (200 ISO). Direct AC power adapter that plugs into the battery compartment.

The RTE on its own would be a real plus on any future camera as was OTF in the OM4Ti etc...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 27th January 2012

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

This thread reminds me of the first Doctor film - where Dirk Bogard proposes to one nurse at a party and, realising his mistake, has to rush round proposing to ALL the nurses so that none of the proposals can be taken seriously

Are we to assume that someting true but unintended has leaked out and it must be smothered in this speculation

Roger
Old 27th January 2012

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
There's a massive cynical streak within me that leads me to believe that most manufacturers have a stockpile of technical innovations, which if released all at once in the next model would truly transform and improve their products out of all recognition. Olympus are no exception. So why don't any of them give us that killer camera?

Without doubt for a while sales would be massive, but what then? Having put all their eggs in one basket they'd have nothing left in the cupboard (oh, I do love mixing metaphors). Far more profitable to drip feed this techno stockpile to a loyal, eager and gullible fan-base. On that basis they can get most people to upgrade (buy a new camera) at least once a year and some of them twice! However, I've got a feeling that Olympus might be on the verge of giving us the crown jewels all in one go.

So what's changed for Olympus? Well, they've recently had a massive scandal that has severely tarnished their reputation, damaged consumer confidence and almost ruined the company. If ever there was a time to unpack all they have in their locker, this is it!

New sensor? No problem, just get out the one they’ve had in reserve for the last three years – you know, 24mp, 20EV dynamic range, clean and noiseless ISO 25600.

AF with regular Four Thirds lenses? Why not? Time to roll out the MFT on-sensor PDAF they perfected two years ago.

Inbuilt EVF? O.K. the recently developed 3 million dots unit not scheduled for another four years can go NOW!

And let ‘em have the weatherproof body that was scheduled to go this time anyway!

What else? How about 25fps unlimited raws, 10 stop IBIS and detachable touch-screen LCD that can operate the camera wirelessly with live view from 50 metres. And that 100mm regular Four Thirds macro lens that’s been getting dusty on the shelf since, well, I don’t know!

Oh, and keep the price below £1000. Anything to restore confidence and rebuild esteem.

So you see we might, just might, profit from the company’s misfortunes and get that once in a lifetime camera payday!
Its time to make yourself known on the four thirds rumour website – you could be the man almost on the inside, but certainly close to enough to those almost probably possibly on the inside, to be relatively respected as regards the technological advancements which Olympus could perceivably integrate into their lenses and bodies

Would this be a good time to mention the new TruPic VII++× sensor and its ability to be retro-fitted into the E1 and E3 bodies
Old 27th January 2012

Liked 1,313 Times in 792 Posts

I'll say what I said on FTU. I don't care how high the ISO goes, I don't recall ever shooting over 400 ISO and most of the time the E-410 and E-3 are glued at 100 ISO.

As a long time Kodachrome and later Velvia rated at 40 ASA shooter I want 25 ISO (preferably 12 ISO but that's even more unrealistic).

What I want is a weather sealed body the size of a E-410 with the build of an E-1, in other words stupid no pop up flash of the E-3/5.

David M's Photoblog or follow me on Instagram.
Old 27th January 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

A massive loss-leader : sounds good to me.
They better let it sell before their new 'partners' rein them in ...
Old 27th January 2012

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:

Dream on John, it certainly is entertaining but, what could they possibly do af her all the praise is over? Just the thought of an "Olde" man from the other side of the pond.