Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 25th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
35-100 lens

Any body know how the AF speed on the 35-100 compares withe the 50-200 and does the depth of field drop much!.

reg

David
Old 25th May 2010

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Re: 35-100 lens

Hi David

I have the original 50-200 and recently purchased the 35-100,
Yes I think the 35-100 is a bit quicker focusing and you can also limit its range that means it has less of a stroke.

With respect to depth of field I'm seeing a noticable differance and loving it

PS its also very sharp

Dave
Old 25th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Many thanks

reg

David
Old 25th May 2010
Kiwi Paul

It's not as fast as the SWD lenses but still focusses very fast and accurately, even in low light. If used at f2.0 the DOF is very shallow. It's a cracking lens that resolves detail extremely well and makes for beautiful photos.

Paul
Old 25th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would you say not a lens for sports photography.

reg

David
Old 25th May 2010
Kiwi Paul

Don't know, I've never used it for any sport, for motor sport it would be fine but if you are wanting to capture the likes of rugby or football players etc it may or may not cope, I really can't comment. The stuff I shoot is static or slow moving.

Paul
Old 26th May 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was thinking of it for indoor ski racing, with 50=200 oly i have to keep at 50mm if i dont its to slow. The 35-100 would let me be a little further away from the racers for safety and allow me to zoom to get more than one gate and be one stop faster so hopefully i could drop the iso but i wonder at the distances i would use it at how the dof would be compared with my oly.

reg

David
Old 26th May 2010

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

I have used it for musicians and found it to be pretty good - certainly its sharpness, colour etc. are superb wide open and most of the time it seems to focus OK. I tried it for rugby on a really foul dark afternoon, but most of the time it just wasn't long enough for that. I've no idea whether focus speed would cope with your skiers, that sounds like a pretty demanding application for any lens. It is certainly useable at f/2 and the limited depth of field is great for isolating the subject as long as the focus is correct.

It is bigger and heavier than the 50-200, I find it just about manageable with a shoulder pod but wouldn't like to try it without some kind of support.

It's an expensive beast to buy, but I believe our Ian has at least one for hire, so why not try it out?

For some examples try this gallery of the very wonderful blues guitarist Joanne Shaw Taylor, all shot at f/2 (although some are not as sharp as I would have liked - the lighting was hard work):
http://www.john.palmer.dsl.pipex.com...aw-t/index.htm

or these of young hopefuls The Hamsters and Wishbone Ash (the first two were shot with the 150mm f/2, the rest with the 35-100, also all at f/2):
http://www.john.palmer.dsl.pipex.com...eash/index.htm

Ciao ... Old Rocker John