Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th January 2019

Liked 386 Times in 97 Posts
Considering upgrading to the Mark II and have a few questions.

Hi,

I've currently got the EM1 but over the past few weeks have been considering upgrading to the Mark II and have a few questions, and some advice from those that made the same switch please.

I've just posted this thread in the EM1 section (thought I'd just link the thread rather than duplicating) and wondered if people experience the same with the Mark II when panning? I don't know if the Mark II would be better in this regard due to the reduced lag and better screen refresh rate?
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...d=1#post470254

That would be one very good reason for me to upgrade if I can pan more easily, but the other reasons for considering the upgrade are the dual card slot, better noise handling and better resolution.

With regards to the noise handling of the Mark II is there a noticeable difference when you're up at ISO 3200 and 6400 or is it negligible in the real world (I shoot RAW).

Whilst the Mark II has extra res I was a bit concerned when I stumbled across this site and saw the red swatch in the second series of images that compared the Mark II and Mark I at ISO 200, the Mark 1 appears to show a higher level of detail and contrast in the flowers on the red swatch. Is this just one of those stupid tests that should be ignored, or have others found that the Mark II doesn't resolve certain detail as well. If it's the latter is this just jpeg or RAW as well?
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRO...ge-quality.htm

Last silly question. I see that they've not only centralised the tripod thread, but also moved it further forward. For those of you that use the peak design slide with one of the anchors on the tripod plate have you noticed any issues with the new location in terms of how the camera 'sits' on your hip/side?

Any info would be appreciated.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com