Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 6th March 2009
Henk

Re: Jpegs Better Than Raw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I'm sure you are right, Henk, but that's gone right over my head! No doubt, if I really tried, I could get to grips with the differences between 8 (?) and 16 bit, how to convert them and the software needed to process them. However, more sophisticated software means more expense (as would swapping the PC for a Mac as suggested in an earlier post) which I simply cannot afford.
You don't have to buy PS4, Paint Shop Pro XI is my main PP program which does more in 16bit than PSE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
It's starting to look like I need to acknowledge that my photographic skills lay in a previous age and go back to film (where the cost of procesing will be an issue) or simply call it a day.
That would be a waste of talent, looking at your website. You do not have to work from raw, if you're happy with in-camera JPG then shoot JPG. We won't hate you for that!

It's just not true that you can not gain more from raw than from in-camera JPG.

Keep shooting and posting.
Old 6th March 2009

Liked 1,632 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archphoto View Post
Raw conversion within CS2 is not posible anyway.
Convert to DNG using Adobe's free converter, then you can open the DNG file in CS2. It's what I do.

Quote:
That will have to wait untill I get CS4.
No it won't!
;^)

Jim
Old 8th March 2009

Liked 583 Times in 259 Posts

For someone relatively new to digital photography and with no experience at all of processing, this question of the benefit of raw versus jpeg is interesting as it will enable me to make an informed judgement as to whether to go the raw route or not.

As I understand things, a raw file contains more information held in its 16 bits per channel compared to 8 bits per channel for jpegs. To print, a raw must be developed then converted to a jpeg or some other format.

Question : Doesn’t converting the raw file to a jpeg lose all the extra data present in the raw file. If so what is the point?

The only other 16 bit non jpeg format I have read about are Tiff files. Is this what Raw users save their conversions to in order to preserve all the original data.

Amanda
Old 8th March 2009
MarkVarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T View Post
For someone relatively new to digital photography and with no experience at all of processing, this question of the benefit of raw versus jpeg is interesting as it will enable me to make an informed judgement as to whether to go the raw route or not.

As I understand things, a raw file contains more information held in its 16 bits per channel compared to 8 bits per channel for jpegs. To print, a raw must be developed then converted to a jpeg or some other format.

Question : Doesn’t converting the raw file to a jpeg lose all the extra data present in the raw file. If so what is the point?

The only other 16 bit non jpeg format I have read about are Tiff files. Is this what Raw users save their conversions to in order to preserve all the original data.

Amanda
When you convert raw to jpeg you do lose that extra data, but during the conversion you push, pull, alter as you wish with the data and save the result, not possible when starting with raw.

we do save at tiffs ready-to-use in the archive, we also keep all used raws. jpegs are (usually) used as final outputs to client or to print etc.
Old 8th March 2009

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkVarley View Post
When you convert raw to jpeg you do lose that extra data, but during the conversion you push, pull, alter as you wish with the data and save the result, not possible when starting with raw.

we do save at tiffs ready-to-use in the archive, we also keep all used raws. jpegs are (usually) used as final outputs to client or to print etc.

I think you mean not possible when starting with jpegs....as in not done as easily or effectively.

Mrs T

the raw file is 12 bit so has more data - this is one aspect

equally the process of creating a jpeg is 'one way' and destructive ie if you want to reduce contrast or brightness or sharpness you don't get back the file pre adding these things you get (taking sharpness) a sharpened file that is then blurred/unsharpened - not the same thing at all which is part of Mark's point.

if you apply a load of settings to a raw file to create a tiff or jpeg then the raw can always be recreated to original spec.

this thread actually stimulated me to shoot raw + jpeg this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised at the jpeg output from the E3. I didn't save any time from the jpegs, and had to use the raw files where I wanted to bring up shadows at higher iso, or see if any highlights were really really blown.... but overall the output could be sent straight to gallery in most cases (for what I was shooting)
Old 8th March 2009
MarkVarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
I think you mean not possible when starting with jpegs....as in not done as easily or effectively.
Indeed, I wrote that while ordering a curry, multi-tasking isn't my strong point.
Old 8th March 2009

Liked 127 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T View Post
Amanda
The original data only resides in the raw file. From the raw converter I save as PSD (Photoshop 16 bit) and add adjustment layers as required. The only down side is the huge file sizes generated, but I can go back and tweak adjustments or turn them off at will. When finished I save master copies as TIFF and the working files as JPEGs. The raw and TIFF files are archived.

As mentioned above, Olympus cameras (well my E-1 and E-3) produce 12 bit images, the extra 4 bits are padded out to make up 16 bits.

Steve