Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10th August 2015

Liked 1,397 Times in 360 Posts
Re: Is C-AF actually improved with v3.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208 View Post
Dave, nope, the 70-300 CX was part-exed for the Oly 12-40 f2.8 and the remaining bits have been passed on to the family

I have sorted what my problem with EM-1 CAF was (poor memory mainly ) I had forgotten that the EM-1 PDAF sensors are linear not cross type so shooting things like small fast moving BIF using CAF is not going to be too hot in landscape mode, but the moment I switched to portrait mode - what an improvement"

I spent a while giving it a real work out yesterday evening, trying to lock on House Martins charging about the sky at considerable distance feeding on gnats.

Over 50+ shots I was getting good lock-on in 60% - 70% of the frames (the martins occupied around 2% of frame area, so much so, I could hardly see what it locked on sometimes )

That will do me

I just need to wait patiently for the free grip to arrive as using the camera in portrait mode without it feels clumsy.
Hi,

Thanks for the tip. Even though I don't really understand how AF would be improved in portrait mode for such a subject. Is it because of the outline having mostly horizontal features? (wings and body).

My Gallery on 500px