Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-400

Olympus E-400 E-400 specific discussion.

Old 19th May 2008
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The Forgotten Camera

The FL36 is a cheap(ish) flash, and it appears that people are upgrading to bigger and newer flashes, so there may be some bargins to be had.
Old 22nd May 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Main issue with the E-400 is that you can't turn the flash illuminated AF-assist off, which means it can be obtrusive when shooting in certain situations.
I'm not sure what you mean. The AF-assist only activates on mine if I turn the flash on (it's off most of the time) it doesn't activate any other time.
Old 13th June 2008

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts
Dead and Forgotten Camera

Went to the Olympus site yesterday... The E400 does not feature!
Gone
Discontinued

ah well I am keeping mine...
Old 13th June 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Well good customer service means listening to your customers clearly Olympus feels they dont need to listen to them if the E-400 is anything to go by (and I switched from Canon to Olympus!)
Old 14th June 2008
Hiding_Pup

No, it's still there, in the archives, along with the E-1 and E-300:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_E-400.htm
Old 14th June 2008

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

yes...in the archives...it is now not a 'live' camera in the scheme of things...just like the OM2
Old 14th June 2008
Hiding_Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
yes...in the archives...it is now not a 'live' camera in the scheme of things...just like the OM2
I have one of those too. Olympus should open a museum and hire me as curator :-)
Old 14th October 2008

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Invicta View Post
Well good customer service means listening to your customers clearly Olympus feels they dont need to listen to them if the E-400 is anything to go by (and I switched from Canon to Olympus!)
When I walked into the Olympus shop, talked to the Olympus salesperson, tried and tested the camera, I was happy. I paid full retail price, bought Olympus branded extras, and walked away happy. Why? because the reviews of the camera were good, it was a new model and it was "Firmware upgradeable".

Had i had any idea that Olympus were knowingly selling me a rushed "interim" camera they were going to drop, I would clearly not have bought. I have had Oly snapshot cameras before, my previous SLR was a Canon EOS 5.

I can't afford to upgrade yet. Simple features I am sure a firmware upgrade would solve are bugging me, and many other people.

On principle, unless Olympus issue an upgrade for the widely posted/requested tweaks, I will not be buying Olympus in the future. At least two ex-pats here in Asia have considered Oly cameras, but gone to Nikon and Canon. My bitching about being dumped may have had an effect, and drowned out all the positives I was giving about this otherwise lovely little (unfinished) camera. Who knows. Olympus clearly don't care.

DavidJ.
Old 17th October 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
When I walked into the Olympus shop, talked to the Olympus salesperson, tried and tested the camera, I was happy. I paid full retail price, bought Olympus branded extras, and walked away happy.
I did exactly the same, and it's still a super camera and I'm pleased with my choice. But, I hadn't expected them to effectively mothball it and seemingly forget everybody who bought it just because there aren't very many of us. After all, if their marketing experiment had failed they might not have bothered with the later models.

I do think we deserve a little more. I'm not sure I understand why they can't, for example, offer an update that reduces the size of the RAW files.

I can't really afford to upgrade either, but am vaguely interested in the idea of the new one that was announced recently. I won't be rushing to buy it though, in case I find myself in the same situation again.

Out of interest, do they still offer firmware updates for the E-300 series?
Old 9th November 2008

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ellie

Clearly Olympus are still not listening. Perhaps there only interested in shifting new models its a pity but customer service no longer exists at Olympus.
Old 9th November 2008

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ1609 View Post
When I walked into the Olympus shop, talked to the Olympus salesperson, tried and tested the camera, I was happy. I paid full retail price, bought Olympus branded extras, and walked away happy. Why? because the reviews of the camera were good, it was a new model and it was "Firmware upgradeable".

Had i had any idea that Olympus were knowingly selling me a rushed "interim" camera they were going to drop, I would clearly not have bought. I have had Oly snapshot cameras before, my previous SLR was a Canon EOS 5.

I can't afford to upgrade yet. Simple features I am sure a firmware upgrade would solve are bugging me, and many other people.

On principle, unless Olympus issue an upgrade for the widely posted/requested tweaks, I will not be buying Olympus in the future. At least two ex-pats here in Asia have considered Oly cameras, but gone to Nikon and Canon. My bitching about being dumped may have had an effect, and drowned out all the positives I was giving about this otherwise lovely little (unfinished) camera. Who knows. Olympus clearly don't care.

DavidJ.
so what's the missig firmware then - I can't fault mine from that perspective.
Old 9th November 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
I only thing missing for me would be the ability to auto bracket more than 1 full step each way
Old 10th November 2008

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
Good for you. Some features would be great. I hate my A/F hunting with the internal flash in low-light. It is embarrassing and makes me look like a putz when my friends are snapping away as I blind the subjects and give up. YMMV.

See http://fourthirdsphoto.com/blog/?p=41

I just think that when a camera is sold as firmware upgradeable we can expect features to be added with time. I know the features were not there when I bought my camera, but neither were features on both my Laptop BIOS chips, my MP4 players and HDD Recorder. All have had minor but useful updates. My Asus eee has had very useful updates. That is what we now expect from new technology, and that is what they sell when offering "firmware upgrades".

Olympus can, but won't. Their choice. I love my camera, but this "dumping" of the 400 completely will, whatever anyone else says, have a negative influence on my opinion of Olympus when considering a future purchase.

I don't want to get into an argument. People are different. If you want to know what people think, Google search and you will see Olympus have more than a few other unhappy customers. I would be happy if they offered some new and essential features. They could.

Cheers,

DavidJ.