Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 25th June 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Seaham 2012 : Blast Beach Photo thread

Looks like you all had a great time !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 25th June 2012

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

I always take too many photos, and then have difficulty deciding which to cull! Anyway, I'll upload two batches, with the first being of people and pets.

I was having fun photographing orchids and wildflowers on the cliff top when I realised how far behind I was! The flowers seem to be flowering a few weeks later than usual.

By the time I got down to the beach, it looked like the OM-D was being put through its paces - what a lovely small camera it looks to be. Jdal (John), Helen & Wally

When we first got down to Blast Beach we were all dressed for the worst! Trish

It doesn't take many e-groupers to fill a beach

By later afternoon, after a few good downpours mainly spent in cafe or cars, we were at the north end of Seaham, where there is a fabulous mix of stones, white & pink granite setts or cobbles, flint, sandstone, limestone and a whole lot more. Woofmix (Paul), Trish, Wally & Meach (Paul)

"If I look hard enough, I'm sure that it'll fall down!" Wally's dog

And my hero of the day, Woofmix's dog which initially decided that it was going to stay comfortable in the car while we got soaked.

before deciding to change its mind and coming with us down to the beach. Funny thing was, Woofmix claimed that the dog didn't like walking far and that it was a little hard of hearing . . . I guess then that's why Woofmix is having to run so far down the beach!

Good to see you all, and I hope is now enjoying his travels through Yorkshire Dales and Lake District.

Regards
Chris
Old 25th June 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,473 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

What an interesting location. I wish I lived nearer, it looks like you all had a great day.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th June 2012

The second of two uploads, this showing some of the curiosities to be found on the beaches at Seaham. The last hundred years of industry, including chemical works, glass works, colliery, ironworks, and other related industries have all left their mark on the beaches, and I have always found it a fascinating and often beautiful bit of coastline that is now beginning to gradually hide most of the scars of its past. But look carefully and you'll still find the clues.

Well, there's definitely sulphur deposits there on the rock but anyone want to test the liquid?

After marrying a local heiress, Lady Frances Anne Vane-Tempest (mainly perhaps to gain her holdings in local coal-mining, railways and the port of Seaham, although she was also a bit of a beauty who was admired by the Tsar of Russia!), the 3rd Marquis of Londonderry set about building a model town designed by John Dobson (lack of money soon put paid to this idea though). So of course, if you're doing a lot of building why not have your own brickworks with your name stamped on every brick.

A lot of the waste from the colleries and related industry was dumped off Noses Point onto the beach below. At the bottom of the eventual pile was a lot of ironwork including large nails, screws & bolts, rails & trackway, runners & various parts of conveyor belts, chains, horseshoes, bars and many other bits. The weight of the colliery waste on top must have compressed and turned the layer into what looks like a form of rock with the ironwork trapped within, until eventually the crashing waves prise them apart.
So see what you can find - the salt water and a bit of sun made this a beautiful mass of bright orange.

We then moved on to the north end of Seaham. The afternoon by now had turned to the dramatic contrasts of bright sunshine and dark foreboding downpours

And the beach here is an interesting contrast with rectangular blocks of sea tumbled stone (probably granite setts), and a variety of other large cobbles that lend themselves to a little bit of rock art!

And finally, an image that was meant to be with the first upload, but a nice one to finish with . . . Ken waiting for the next storm to come in.

It's really good to see the variety of images that everyone found - but I did notice that everyone walked past the orchids on the clifftop very quickly

Regards
Chris

All my images were taken with an Oly E-30 and the Sigma 70-200mm APO lens
Old 25th June 2012

Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts

Really enjoyed looking at all of the images from this meet

Looks a great location

Greg
Old 26th June 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Astonishing. Lovely images and lovely documentary.
Old 26th June 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Here's a couple by my wife Tanya.
Richard has found a rock with many a hole, just right for a finger. The rock was later removed surgically.

The stack ... again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
... I did notice that everyone walked past the orchids on the clifftop very quickly
e-600 14-42KitLens
Old 26th June 2012

Great shots Ulfric - god, what a shame that the rock couldn't be kept on his finger . . he would have won quite a few conker matches in the future!!
Anyhow, going through the photos still and here is a little selection for you Ulfric.

Hey Ulfric, talk about colour co-ordination!

"Three thousand and twenty one, three thou . . . dad, do you think we could go back and get a few boulders off the beach?"

I'm glad to see that you got the shot of the orchids - here's one that I took near the Vane Tempest car park

Regards
Chris
Old 27th June 2012

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts

I enjoyed this outing sitting here in Toronto as you all did somewhere in the UK with a funny name.
Old 27th June 2012
Kiwi Paul

ok guys just got back tonight, what a great meet, so good to put faces to names and what a great day, soooo glad I turned up.
I'm well impressed by the photos, actually annoyed I didn't see sooo many of those shots, thats what makes these meets so good, all have the same opportunity but we all see different things, but that's what photography is all about and why I love it, its all in the eye of the the beholder
I'll post my shots tomorrow (or is that today now lol).
Thanks guys for a great day and a great place to take photos!!

Paul
Old 27th June 2012
Kiwi Paul

It's late but here's a shot of that amazing red pool with the floating pumus stones, a sight to behold, more to come.
The whole thing was just surreal, I mean as if the red water wasn't impressive as it was unusual, the floating pumus stones just added to the scene, either one would have been unusual on its own but to have both together in one pool.......incredible

Paul

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Ulfric M Douglas (28th June 2012)
Old 28th June 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I didn't see the pumice floating on the iron pools, I'll get them next time...

Here's Richard doing his special photogenic running
Old 5th July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a great set of images and an interesting place. I have enjoyed the messages, the pics and the potted history bits. I would have been with you but was rather far away at the time.

I hope I'll make it next time. Best wishes Peter N.
Old 8th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemop View Post
What a great set of images and an interesting place. I have enjoyed the messages, the pics and the potted history bits. I would have been with you but was rather far away at the time.

I hope I'll make it next time. Best wishes Peter N.
What a fabulous alternative to Seaham - you must be devasted to have to have been left with such a difficult choice of which to go to!! What were the cafes like?

Regards
Chris