Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 5th April 2015

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Tablet Suggestions

Hi All

I am planning to buy TAB to show my photos to clients . I am using OMD-EM1 camera please can you all lovely people give me suggestions which TAB will be good .

Cheers
Rahul
Old 5th April 2015

Thanked 1,120 Times in 702 Posts
Liked 1,463 Times in 731 Posts
Re: Tablet Suggestions

Personally, I don't think there's a great deal of difference between them as a user. Each has both plus and minus points and the bottom line is... what you think suits your needs best.

Either way, you get locked into Apple or Google. You need to decide the lesser of the two evils.

I went for a Samsung for two basic reasons...

1/- Cheaper than the one ADAM offers- and not such a thief magnet.

2/- It had the facility to use a 32Gb micro SD card - easily swapped from camera to tablet to camera thus allowing a better viewing platform on the go.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 5th April 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi, I've been through a couple of Tabs, my partner has an Ipad mini, but my latest one is a Lenovo Yoga 2 10", it's cheaper than the Ipad I bought her for her birthady,'
It has a USB and a micro sd card slot I have a 32gb card in it which makes for a 64gb I have herd of some one using a 128gb micro sd card. other plus it has a quad intel atom processor instead of an ARM Processor as in other Android and Ipads, it's a lot faster than either Ipad and other Android Tabs, Oh and battery lasts about 18 hours but can last longer I use mine every day and sometimes go upto 1.5 days.

Dave
Old 5th April 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Very much a personal choice:
As long as it runs OiShare http://app.olympus-imaging.com/oishare/

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 5th April 2015

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,133 Times in 1,140 Posts

If I were buying I wouldn't go for an iPad, but mine was given to me last year for my birthday. The part I don't like is the limited way images can be transferred which can be WiFi from the camera through iOShare, (Lightning to) SD card reader or basically stuck with iTunes transfer (or with other 3rd party apps or software). At least with android (AFAIK) it is like transferring to a flash drive (from a PC), plus the memory can be expanded (if it has the port).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 5th April 2015

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

I recently replaced my old Polish no-name one and ended up with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, which I am very pleased with. I think it is an end-of-line so it's being flogged off cheap - the current model is the Galaxy S, which has stylus support (I think) which I don't need. The bucket shops like Argos are now pushing the Tab 4 for £199.

It's Android, nominal 10 inch screen which seems very good, seems to be pretty fast. Has a micro-SD card expansion slot, micro USB and headphone jack. No HDMI though - but as far as I can see nothing has these days.

John
Old 5th April 2015

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hard drive or USB connectivity isn't really an issue because all these gadgets use the Cloud, which is ideal in the short-term. I really don't think a tablet is the best kind of device to showcase 'professional' photographs to be honest, because they make DSLRs look no better than smartphones, but they're relatively cheap these days and pretty fast, so long as you've got an adequate internet connection. Compare the respective RAM capabilities would be my advice if you're intent on a tablet. I've got a Nexus 7 incidentally, but there's no way I'd be using that if I was trying to earn my living as a photographer.
Old 5th April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelShea View Post
Hard drive or USB connectivity isn't really an issue because all these gadgets use the Cloud, which is ideal in the short-term. I really don't think a tablet is the best kind of device to showcase 'professional' photographs to be honest, because they make DSLRs look no better than smartphones, but they're relatively cheap these days and pretty fast, so long as you've got an adequate internet connection. Compare the respective RAM capabilities would be my advice if you're intent on a tablet. I've got a Nexus 7 incidentally, but there's no way I'd be using that if I was trying to earn my living as a photographer.
Who wants to use the cloud? I certainly don't! Yeah, it might be good if your into that sort of thing & don't mind paying subscription for more memory space.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 5th April 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Hi I don't know about some of the tablets out there, but I would and do show my high red full size images, as the screen red is pretty high 266 DPI the detail is increasable your home computer screen is only 96 DPI at best' unless you can afford the 27 ins 300DPI screen at around 7, 000.

Dave
Old 5th April 2015

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Who said anything about paying for it?
Old 5th April 2015

Quote:
Who said anything about paying for it?
Sure! But Apple (iPad Air) gives me 5gb free & after that I have to pay for more. That part I'm not interested in, but I guess it would only be used to cycle pictures through, however, with an iPad that would be using iTunes & that part I detest when I use a Windows laptop (or PC).
Old 5th April 2015

Liked 1,630 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Sure! But Apple (iPad Air) gives me 5gb free & after that I have to pay for more.
Most cloud accounts give at least 5Gig for free. 'Copy' gives you even more if you recruit others. I've now got 30Gig with them for free.

http://www.copy.com

Jim
Old 5th April 2015
Administrator

Liked 507 Times in 281 Posts

Just to throw a feline amongst the dinosaurs (birds therefore pidgeons evolved from dinosaurs if you're not aware)

Have you thought about a windows tablet. I'm seeing more and more at work where people need a have the capability of a PC and a tablet and the reviews of the new surface3 are seemingly OK

I've not played with one myself. I'm just noting that for work I carry a laptop and an iPad around because the iPad simply can't do everything I need it to and therefore I will be looking at these windows devices (probably when Windows 10 is out)

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 5th April 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Question Re: Tablet Suggestions

You may want to consider the many reviews that consider the 4:3 aspect ratio for a tablet to be better. This would ideally suit the image format, of course, but is also considered better for many "Apps".

Just a thought, what "picture viewer app" is considered the best, and do ant display ORF files.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 5th April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
Just to throw a feline amongst the dinosaurs (birds therefore pidgeons evolved from dinosaurs if you're not aware)

Have you thought about a windows tablet. I'm seeing more and more at work where people need a have the capability of a PC and a tablet and the reviews of the new surface3 are seemingly OK

I've not played with one myself. I'm just noting that for work I carry a laptop and an iPad around because the iPad simply can't do everything I need it to and therefore I will be looking at these windows devices (probably when Windows 10 is out)

Regards
Andy
Except windows doesn't run iOShare but maybe this can be used instead though. https://rebs.biz/cc/en/index.html