Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 15th July 2010

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts
It's always worth getting out (7 images)

I'm beginning to realise this. Last night was a dismal forecast, but I decided to go out and find a dismal crag on a dank moor as a photographic challenge. As usual, other opportunities appeared, making the little walk worthwhile.

They are clear felling the forest of poor quality Sitka

This is the area I meant to try and capture - "The Wilds of Wanney":

This Peregrine's dinner meant there were falcons about

So, on the walk back in along the foot of the crag I was able to watch four Peregrines (2 adult, 2 Juvenile) flying around and posing. The light was dire by now, so the shots are poor.

And finally a glimps of daylight through the Sitka:

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 15th July 2010

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts
Re: It's always worth getting out (7 images)

Great little set makes you think maybe I should be out trying.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 15th July 2010
BigBCC

Amazing pictures, I wish there was someplace like that close to where I live that I could just walk to it >.<
I may just have to go stay a week at my parents' house and get out and try and find some pictures to take.
Old 15th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBCC View Post
Amazing pictures, I wish there was someplace like that close to where I live that I could just walk to it >.<
I may just have to go stay a week at my parents' house and get out and try and find some pictures to take.
Thanks - I did have to drive for 10 miles to get to the start of the walk though, it's the price I pay for living near the pubs

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

Flickr gallery
Old 15th July 2010
BigBCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
Thanks - I did have to drive for 10 miles to get to the start of the walk though, it's the price I pay for living near the pubs
Ha, well it's not that bad, the closest I have is about, ehh, 20-30 miles away to get within walking distance, unless I wanna be on someone's private property and get the police on me >.<
Old 17th July 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It just goes to show, there are always shots out there, the skill is in spotting the possibilities.

Th legs shot is my favourite, nearly monochrome but with the vibrant yellow rings.
Old 17th July 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,163 Times in 2,471 Posts
Liked 4,471 Times in 2,124 Posts

You're right, John, there's always something. And you always seem to make the most of it!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th July 2010

Cheers all.

I'm going to get back out to the bit where the peregrines hang out when the light's a lot better.

I'm not sure birdwatching-photographing-wise whether it's better to go out very early, mid morning, afternoon or evening. Any of you experienced birders know about falcon behavior? This family seem to be 2 adults and juveniles that I assume they'll be 'training'. I'm guessing early to mid morning would be a good time, but I'd like to get another better shot of one standing on the crag. Obviously it'd be better if they haven't disappeared off on a hunting trip.

Flickr gallery