Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 7th November 2008

Liked 2,321 Times in 1,528 Posts
OM4 Prices

Is it me, or are people paying/asking for silly prices for old OM3 and OM4 cameras?

Looking on e-bay, there are several 'mint', or 'new' OM4Ti cameras for sale at prices up to around 800. The Nicholas Camera Company in London is asking well over 1,000 (each) for a pair of 'new' OM4Ti s.

Even second-hand models seem to fetch 500 plus on fleabay, but rather less at reputable dealers like Ffordes. The non-Ti models fetch rather less, but still seem to hold a good value.

Right now it seems that a nice condition OM4Ti is probably a better investment than a house? I wonder.

More to the point, I wonder if I could persuade SWMBO that my cameras were a good investment after all. On second thoughts...........

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 12th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
Re: OM4 Prices

Nicholas Cameras have always seemed way overpriced to me, I wonder if they ever sell anything?

Maybe top of the range OM's are enjoying a revival - I've always rated the OM4Ti the best manual focus 35mm SLR of all time!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 12th November 2008

Liked 2,321 Times in 1,528 Posts

It seems that film generally is enjoying something of a revival. I read only the other day that Kodak has reported increasing film sales, so someone must be using it.

The mass market is long gone, which may be a good thing, but there does seem to be an increasing interest in high quality film cameras which not only take stunning pictures, but are also very enjoyable to use and to own - much more so than most DSLRs IMVHO.

Nicholas do seem to be very overpriced, but if their equipment is genuinely first class, I daresay there are people who will pay.

Even Ffordes are asking £350 plus for a reasonable condition OM4Ti, so there must be a market. I have also noticed that the supply of lenses seems to be drying up a little. Maybe the retailers aren't buying, or perhaps people just don't want to sell?

I have always fancied an ultra wide angle for the OM. I have the 24 mm f 2.8 which is nice, but I would like to try the 21 mm or wider, but they are still very pricey.

PS: I have just checked on Ffordes website, and they have a 21 mm f2.0 for £500!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Last edited by Naughty Nigel; 12th November 2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: PS
Old 13th November 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,164 Times in 2,472 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
It seems that film generally is enjoying something of a revival. I read only the other day that Kodak has reported increasing film sales, so someone must be using it.

The mass market is long gone, which may be a good thing, but there does seem to be an increasing interest in high quality film cameras which not only take stunning pictures, but are also very enjoyable to use and to own - much more so than most DSLRs IMVHO.

Nicholas do seem to be very overpriced, but if their equipment is genuinely first class, I daresay there are people who will pay.

Even Ffordes are asking 350 plus for a reasonable condition OM4Ti, so there must be a market. I have also noticed that the supply of lenses seems to be drying up a little. Maybe the retailers aren't buying, or perhaps people just don't want to sell?

I have always fancied an ultra wide angle for the OM. I have the 24 mm f 2.8 which is nice, but I would like to try the 21 mm or wider, but they are still very pricey.

PS: I have just checked on Ffordes website, and they have a 21 mm f2.0 for 500!
Doesn't surprise me - f2 at that focal length on 35mm is serious glass, and quite rare. Also doubles as a handy 42mm (equivalent) reasonably fast standard lens on Four Thirds.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 13th November 2008

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have and use a 21mm F2 quite regularly. It is a very good lens. Before getting this, the widest OM lens I had was a 24 F2.8. Since getting the 21mm, I have hardly used the 24 - not that it is a bad lens, in fact it is stunning.

Regarding the price of OM bodies, I recently watched a mint in box OM2n black go for over 380 on eBay! It really was a lovely camera, but that is serious cash for a 2n in my opinion. I also noticed that Ebay has a listing for a couple of 3Ti's, one of which has an opening bid of over 1400!

Folks clearly still value OM bodies highly, so I guess prices will remain high for good examples especially as film is seeing something of a revival.

Cheers, Steve.
Old 13th November 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I would suspect that in the current interation of capitalism we are paying 'silly prices' for most (if not almost all) commodities, as pricing is driven by 'desire' (what the market will bear) and trend, rather than being related to the actual value/cost of an item.

Now this always used to apply to some degree in the collectables market place (though more in the area of 'craft/art' items).

It is an interesting commentary on the development of our economic system where wealth was once generated by the manufacturing process which added value to a commodity (which is what turning iron ore into cars - and then rust, was). Wealth now is a presentation of the manipulation of desire, which has moved money onto a far less secure (or sustainable) base.

Don't worry - they'll be cheaper soon. I anticipate the demise of e-bay and the return of jumble sales.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk