Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 7th June 2008

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
The long and winding road

I took this on the Dunstable Downs earlier today, using my new 12-60. I think it looks a bit flat, maybe down to compression, maybe down to poor editing.
I will probably be uploading more later!!
Any coments gratefully received. Thank you

Well here goes, another one, that didnt take long did it?!!

This is called 'If you dont tell them where I am they wont find me'

Old 7th June 2008

Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts
Re: The long and winding road

I haven't been to Dunstable Downs for a couple of years. It looks horrendous what they've done with the path!

Jim
Old 7th June 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,536 Times in 2,158 Posts

I think your Long and Winding Road picture looks flat because the light was flat and did not suit this type of vista. There's virtually nothing you can do in this type of situation, except plan to return on a better day or concentrate on subjects closer to the camera that will benefit from soft light.

Soft light is brilliant for outdoor portraiture, flower photography, waterfalls and woodland scenes - all of which can suffer badly from harsh shadows and excessive contrast in bright sunshine.

Look at how much more successful your dog picture is. The main subject is close to the camera and, much the same as a person would be, is flattered by the soft light. The dreary sky is completely excluded in this shot and the distant fields in the murky background serve no importance other than to provide a neutral and non distracting backdrop to the two walkers, looking back to see where their little terrier is.

Hope this helps,

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th June 2008

Yes, I think a return when there is better light would be a good idea. Apparently tomorrow is forecast to be quite good! Its just that I had my new toy (lens) and I couldnt wait. In fact my husband and I had had a conversation when i returned along the lines that I should have been out at 6.00am when the light was really good!!
I really appreciate your input John, it is always inciteful and helpful.
I tend to post pics I am unsure about, or even dont like, to get this sort of critique.
Thank you

Last edited by shirley; 7th June 2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 7th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Yes, I think a return when there is better light would be a good idea. Apparently tomorrow is forecast to be quite good! Its just that I had my new toy (lens) and I couldnt wait. In fact my husband and I had had a conversation when i returned along the lines that I should have been out at 6.00am when the light was really good!!
I really appreciate your input John, it is always inciteful and helpful.
I tend to post pics I am unsure about, or even dont like, to get this sort of critique. Thank you
Yes, and there's good reasoning for that as it is a valuable learning exercise, but don't forget to post some of your top drawer stuff as well - it would have been a real shame if we'd missed out on your selectively coloured "Off The Wall," for example!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 8th June 2008

Went back today. It is a slightly different angle and crop but I think it has a bit more oomph.

Old 8th June 2008
Administrator

Hi Shirley,

Yes, the sunshine has provided more contrast and lifted the greens but what about the sky? There's not much you could do about it at that time of day (within 2 hours either side of noon I'd say) but this type of vista is crying out for early moring or eveing light, before 8am or after 8pm at this time of year.

Then, on the right day you'd get softer, but fresher and warmer toned sunlight raking across the scene, casting longer shadows and giving greater definition to each of the many trees and bushes.

Consider also the time of year. About a month ago the greens would have looked so much fresher and in the autum this scene should explode with colour. but the best time of year will also very much depend on the angle of the sun early and late in the day. When assessing a new location I always take a compass and a sunrise/sunset chart to help me decide when I should return.

I like the composition, with the meandering and undulating track leading right through the picture from right to left and this location has great potential. Look upon what you've done so far as work in progress.

John

Old 9th June 2008

Hi John,
Your detailed critique is very helpful. Thank you.
I took this at 6.30pm and the sky behind me, towards the sun, was beautiful- lots of blue with clouds- but of course where I was looking, nothing!
What I would really like to do is go back at sunset, thats for another day. Also I was trying out my new lens and I had only taken the one lens with me to make me use it, I think this shot would be better with a telephoto rather than a wide angle. As you say a work in progress.
This spot is only 5mins drive from my house so I can easily go back, the only problem is the cost of parking! I am determined to get some really good shots of my local area this summer.
Shirley
Old 9th June 2008

Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts

Quote:
I am determined to get some really good shots of my local area this summer.
Shirley
Don't forget the orchids at Tottenhoe Knolls, then!

Jim
Old 9th June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wonder if a B&W conversion might do it more justice?

I prefer the first one as a composition because of the people, but definitely worth persevering and returning as John suggests!
Old 9th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Hi John,
Your detailed critique is very helpful. Thank you.
I took this at 6.30pm and the sky behind me, towards the sun, was beautiful- lots of blue with clouds- but of course where I was looking, nothing!
What I would really like to do is go back at sunset, thats for another day. Also I was trying out my new lens and I had only taken the one lens with me to make me use it, I think this shot would be better with a telephoto rather than a wide angle. As you say a work in progress.
This spot is only 5mins drive from my house so I can easily go back, the only problem is the cost of parking! I am determined to get some really good shots of my local area this summer.
Shirley
Ah, I'd thought it was earlier in the day judging by the length of the shadows. In that case you are right, it needs either sunset or early morning at this time of year. Whether there will be enough people to add a focal point is another matter! Or you could wait and use side light between about 3 and 4pm around the end of October/early November. Judging from your picture the light should be comming from the left around that time, giving the autumn colours some nice oblique illumination.

John