Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself Don't be bashful - please say hello so we can all welcome you here!

Old 19th November 2009
Tamasine

About to take the plunge but need some advice pls

Hello everyone

I'm very close to buying my first DSLR camera and since I already have an Olympus C2500-L (given to me by a friend) which gave me great image quality, I am swaying towards Olympus.

I was originally going for the E420 but have read a few reviews that worry me about its IQ. Now I am considering the E620, which also has IS and is only slightly larger. I have held both cameras and they are nearly the perfect size since I have small hands and also need something to take with me travelling.

I was wondering what you guys thought about the E420 vs E620 where image quality is concerned?

I was also thinking of buying the F2.8 pancake lens for either camera....would this be a good buy since it is so small and I understand the quality of photos is better than the other kit lenses.

I like taking pics of landscapes, architecture, outdoor scenes and people/portraits (not really into telephoto so don't need a powerful zoom). IQ and portability are most important to me, and that's another reason why I am looking at Olympus over Nikon and Canon.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old 19th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts
Re: About to take the plunge but need some advice pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamasine View Post
Hello everyone

I'm very close to buying my first DSLR camera and since I already have an Olympus C2500-L (given to me by a friend) which gave me great image quality, I am swaying towards Olympus.

I was originally going for the E420 but have read a few reviews that worry me about its IQ. Now I am considering the E620, which also has IS and is only slightly larger. I have held both cameras and they are nearly the perfect size since I have small hands and also need something to take with me travelling.

I was wondering what you guys thought about the E420 vs E620 where image quality is concerned?

I was also thinking of buying the F2.8 pancake lens for either camera....would this be a good buy since it is so small and I understand the quality of photos is better than the other kit lenses.

I like taking pics of landscapes, architecture, outdoor scenes and people/portraits (not really into telephoto so don't need a powerful zoom). IQ and portability are most important to me, and that's another reason why I am looking at Olympus over Nikon and Canon.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Aaah! I really loved the C-2500L. This was taken with one back in 2000:

A fish fry fisherman in Leyte, The Philippines.

The E-620 is definitely better than the E-420 for a number of reasons: the image processor is a later generation, so high ISO noise is better controlled, and you have image stabilisation as well. On top of that you have an articulating LCD screen, bigger viewfinder, 7 AF points instead of 3, Art Filters (don't scoff, they are better than you might think) and the option of a battery grip.

The 25mm pancake is a good lens, but not one of Olympus' very finest. Its design is compromised by the goal to make it so small. It's no better than the 14-42 in optical performance, but that lens is a leader among kit zoom lenses, so that's not a bad thing.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 19th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If your budget stretches to the 620 then I'd definitely get that one just because it's the newer camera and is more fully featured. I'd also get the 2 lens kit and live with that for a while before you decide if you want the pancake.
Old 19th November 2009
Tamasine

Thanks for your advice, Pete & Ian

Ian - that photo is amazing!

This might be a silly question but do the new Olympus cameras like the E420, E620 take better pictures in terms of quality than the C2500-L? That's what I'm worried about...buying a camera that cannot take the same quality as my 10 year old one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Aaah! I really loved the C-2500L. This was taken with one back in 2000:

A fish fry fisherman in Leyte, The Philippines.

Ian
Old 19th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for your advice, Pete & Ian

Ian - that photo is amazing!

This might be a silly question but do the new Olympus cameras like the E420, E620 take better pictures in terms of quality than the C2500-L? That's what I'm worried about...buying a camera that cannot take the same quality as my 10 year old one!
Haha! It's not ALL down to the camera you know

Olympus was ahead of the game in digital photo quality back then. Today the playing field is much more level, and there have been substantial improvements in the underlying technology over the past nine years. The C-2500L only has 2.5 megapixels to start with. An E-620 has 12 megapixels, almost five times as much resolution, plus a much wider ISO sensitivity range. You can adjust the colour and sharpness more with a modern camera too.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 19th November 2009
Tamasine

I thought you must have done some post production but I'm sure the original image was pretty good!

In fairness, I was also looking at the Nikon D3000/D60 and Canon EOS 450D, but I think the E620 will be the best camera for me, or at least, it's the one I prefer. I cannot imagine there being much difference between the Nikon/Canon/Olympus models....
Old 19th November 2009

Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts

Quote:
I cannot imagine there being much difference between the Nikon/Canon/Olympus models....
Hmm, I think there are many on this forum would disagree with you! Why do you think we chose Olympus cameras over the others?

Jim
Old 19th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,184 Times in 2,488 Posts
Liked 4,555 Times in 2,166 Posts

It's important that you make the right choice for you rather than us. Of course, we're all bound to say buy the Oly!

However, if it is possible I would recommend comparing all three models on your list side by side in a camera shop. The performance of all three is so good that none of them will disappoint in that department, but what is often overlooked is how a camera feels and handles. Is the camera the right size for your hands? Do the main controls fall naturally to your fingers and thumbs? Are there any buttons that are difficult for you to access? Do the menus seem logical? All these sort of things should be taken into account.

I'm confident that, all things being equal, you'll like the E620 best. But, as I said, it's important that you make the right choice for you.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Last edited by Zuiko; 19th November 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 19th November 2009
mike1251

I have an olympus E500 and a new Nikon D5000 {must be a nuber sequence thing with me}, all id say is that both cameras are excellent, I like to buy what suits me and my style, Olympus provide top quality cameras, but to rubbish others is unfair. We could go into a multitude of pros and cons for various Oly cameras and those from other manufacturers..................they havent built the perfect camera yet so its a case of balancing the pros and cons against each model and manufacturer.
regards
Mike
Old 19th November 2009
mike1251

John,
You raise a good point about handling, On my E500 I keep altering the white balance accidently, and on the Nikon it is easy to re-assign the the auto focus zone with my thumb, two different manufacturers with button location problems..................or one totally useless user?
Ss you say the specs on entry level cameras are very good these days and similar but it sometimes comes down to personal compatability and comfort and handling them for as longas possible before purchasing.
Mike
Old 19th November 2009
Tamasine

Yes, I see what you mean about trying them out and being comfortable with the feel and usability. Before I make a decision I shall go to a store that has all three models and test each one. I'm hoping I like the Olympus best but I'll go with an open mind It's confusing and exciting at the same time to buy your first serious camera
Old 19th November 2009

Liked 365 Times in 153 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1251 View Post
John,
You raise a good point about handling, On my E500 I keep altering the white balance accidently, and on the Nikon it is easy to re-assign the the auto focus zone with my thumb, two different manufacturers with button location problems..................or one totally useless user?
Ss you say the specs on entry level cameras are very good these days and similar but it sometimes comes down to personal compatability and comfort and handling them for as longas possible before purchasing.
Mike
It's some while since I had an E500 but I seem to remember you can reassign the button so you don't accidentally alter the WB. I think it was something introduced in a firmware upgrade, but no doubt a current owner can provide more info.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 19th November 2009

Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts

There was an amusing post by 'TrapperJohn' on the dpreview Olympus forum, entitled 'The Drawbacks of 4/3rds':

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33715859

Jim
Old 19th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,184 Times in 2,488 Posts
Liked 4,555 Times in 2,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
There was an amusing post by 'TrapperJohn' on the dpreview Olympus forum, entitled 'The Drawbacks of 4/3rds':

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33715859

Jim
Nice one, Jim.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 20th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good luck with your decision making. I hope you're able to go to a shop where the staff know what they're talking about, and who won't try to persuade you to buy their own 'pet' brand.

You might like to look through some of the forum archives and see why people chose an Olympus instead of the other brands.

I still think there's something quite special about Olympus colour rendition, but can't quite work out what it is or what makes it stand out, and there's the no-dust, and the flexible rear screen ...