Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 22nd January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dust in VF

I was wondering if there is any "easy" way to get rid of the dust in the viewfinder?
I have got some in my E-1's, but I don't have the tool to replace the focusing screen (which only comes with a new focusing screen and which is probably what I would need to access the VF???).
Just out of interest, how does the replacement of the focusing screen work BTW? Can you access it by removing the eye-cup? I cannot see any opening/hatch/sealing underneath?! Any ideas? I don't think it's covered in the manual, please advise...

Many Thanks

Frank
Old 22nd January 2008
OlyFlyer

Re: Dust in VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by froeng View Post
I was wondering if there is any "easy" way to get rid of the dust in the viewfinder?
I have got some in my E-1's, but I don't have the tool to replace the focusing screen (which only comes with a new focusing screen and which is probably what I would need to access the VF???).
Just out of interest, how does the replacement of the focusing screen work BTW? Can you access it by removing the eye-cup? I cannot see any opening/hatch/sealing underneath?! Any ideas? I don't think it's covered in the manual, please advise...

Many Thanks

Frank
I don't know about the E-1, but to replace the VF screen in my OM cameras was very easy. Just removed the lens and it took a few seconds.

Anyway, did you try a blower to blow it clean? Get a powerful one and do it if not done already. Just not use canned air or any liquide.
Old 22nd January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Olyflyer,

thanks for the response! You mean the access is from the front of the camera? I need to take a closer look at that then.

Thanks anyway!

Best Regards

Frank
Old 23rd January 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by froeng View Post

Many Thanks

Frank
Frank

To remove the focusing screen on the E1 you remove the lens and just at the front of the screen which is under the pentaprism at the front edge is a little tab.If you pull this forward the screen will drop down in a tray.All very easy with a small pair of tweezers.
You can then remove the focus screen by holding it with the tweezers by the little tab at the front.

Now cleaning it is a different matter.

Hope this helps

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 23rd January 2008
Scapula Memory

Frank,

Is the dust on the focus screen or in the viewfinder? You can clean the focus screen without removing it by using a blower as mentioned. If it is in the viewfinder then I do not think much can be done about this. Either way it may be annoying but will not affect your pictures. Do not spray canned air into the chamber as this can leave propellant everywhere. If in doubt leave well alone especially if your images are ok.

I know someone who removed a focus screen and washed it under a tap. The results were not good by all accounts.

The only time I removed the focus screen on mine was when I replaced it with the grid version FS2 screen. This came with the tweezers and instructions on how to do it.
Old 23rd January 2008
OlyFlyer

Metering is done through the screen. So, if the sceen is damaged, you may ruin your metering. The screen is very sensitive, be very careful. I think even micro fibre cloth may cause damage if used carelessly.

As i said, in the OM cameras it was a piece of cake to do it, and as it seems, it is as easy to do it on the E-1. Be careful and I am sure you can do it.
Old 23rd January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice!

As I don't know if the dust is in the finder or on the screen (I thought that might be the same location), and the I've only got a couple of spots on it, I think I better leave it alone! It's not that annoying at the moment...

But if it becomes more, I will carefully try the blower approach.

Anyway, thank you all very much, at least I know now what CAN be done.

Many Thanks

Frank
Old 23rd January 2008
OlyFlyer

Blowing into the chamber can not hurt, unless you use canned air. Especially if the AF sensors never been blowed at. Even those may be in a need of cleaning from time to time. Than, adding to that, are you sure it is not the mirror which needs to be cleaned? Even those (the VF mirror and the AF mirror) may be better of by blowing at them now and then.
Old 24th January 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyFlyer View Post
Metering is done through the screen. So, if the sceen is damaged, you may ruin your metering. The screen is very sensitive, be very careful. I think even micro fibre cloth may cause damage if used carelessly.
They are indeed very delicate - just touching them can cause damage. A friend bought my E500 Katz Eye focusing screen from me, and despite taking extreme care, managed to scratch the old screen in the process of replacement. The E500/510 screens are, of course, not designed as user-changeable, so the process is a bit more fiddly.