Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 5th May 2009

Liked 1,343 Times in 507 Posts
(OT) Ever made a big mistake?

Our new fangled Thomson disk video recorder packed up over the weekend. It wouldn't boot up in any way. I tried unplugging it, all the usual hacker's methods. Nothing makes it start - thus you can't get into the menus and dig it out of its problem.

It looks like TopupTV downloaded some sort of bugged software upgrade over the weekend and it has crashed a large number of these set top recorders. Oh dear

Glad I don't work in their R+D department right now...

Anyway I found the get-it-going tweak from one of the tech forums and dragged it back into life. I don't know what you would do if you didn't have this inside information however.

Let's hope Olympus don't fall down a hole like this when they send out camera software upgrades. :-(

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 5th May 2009
gno

Re: (OT) Ever made a big mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Our new fangled Thomson disk video recorder packed up over the weekend.

Anyway I found the get-it-going tweak from one of the tech forums and dragged it back into life. I don't know what you would do if you didn't have this inside information however.

Pete
Hi Pete,

Pleased to hear you managed to get it up and running again.
Care to share the "tweak" in case mine does the same.

Regards

Gavin
Old 5th May 2009

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

if they can do it to expensive spacecraft whats the problem with the odd video recorder...

My biggest personal mistake was in my yoof when I went and cleaned a blood analyser with benzene cos it said you could use benzine
Bunged it up irreparably...fortunately we did not rely on only one analyser
Old 5th May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gno View Post
Hi Pete,

Pleased to hear you managed to get it up and running again.
Care to share the "tweak" in case mine does the same.

Regards

Gavin
Assuming we are talking about the same DTI6300 box as ours, the TUTV method is like this: Pull the mains plug out of the back and wait a minute or two. Press and hold the standby button on the front of the unit as you plug the power in, When you see a short blip from the lights on the front, release the standby button then press Menu then OK in that order fairly quickly.

This apparently reverts it to the previous software internally so it should then restart after some time. See, told you it was serious :-)

P

Old 5th May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
if they can do it to expensive spacecraft whats the problem with the odd video recorder...

My biggest personal mistake was in my yoof when I went and cleaned a blood analyser with benzene cos it said you could use benzine
Bunged it up irreparably...fortunately we did not rely on only one analyser
Hmm, guilty of a similar yoof mistake. I tried "cleaning" the perspex dial on a vacuum gauge with acetone. It turned it matt grey instantly.

Oh dear. So long ago..

Old 5th May 2009

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts

Hi Pete,
Mine (the 250GB version) has done exactly the same thing! All that is showing is an orange light and every so often others flash. Although I have had it less than a year I cannot locate the receipt and can't even remember where I bought it but I suspect Argos.
Please please please let me know how you got it going again as there is no way of getting into the menus to do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Our new fangled Thomson disk video recorder packed up over the weekend. It wouldn't boot up in any way. I tried unplugging it, all the usual hacker's methods. Nothing makes it start - thus you can't get into the menus and dig it out of its problem.

It looks like TopupTV downloaded some sort of bugged software upgrade over the weekend and it has crashed a large number of these set top recorders. Oh dear

Glad I don't work in their R+D department right now...

Let's hope Olympus don't fall down a hole like this when they send out camera software upgrades. :-(

Pete

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 5th May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
Hi Pete,
Mine (the 250GB version) has done exactly the same thing! Please please please let me know how you got it going again as there is no way of getting into the menus to do anything.
Same model as mine. When it updated itself from v2.99 to v3.49 last month it improved a great deal. However something about the weekend update was a big problem :-)

anyway, here is the TUTV page on the problem

http://www.topuptv.com/help+centre/s...id+Amber+Light

and I can recommend this forum

http://fame.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/...play.php?f=123

hope this helps :-)

Pete

Old 5th May 2009

Liked 340 Times in 230 Posts

It worked!
Thanks for this Pete you are a STAR! The wife can record the soaps to her heart's content again!
I have printed off the instructions on how to do this from the TUTV website.
All I need to do now is to get my Grundig Freesat HD box working again - seems like if has a sticky switch. But at least I have the Argos receipt for this so I should be able to get it fixed.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge