Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 14th June 2019

Liked 708 Times in 377 Posts
Re: Noise issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Tesni Ward declared it was a camera issue! (and as she breaks so many of them she should know! ) and advised a full reset as a first step, but I am currently sans computer and suitable lead to sort it out after the reset!
I am worried. I am leaving for Surabaya at the end of the month. Have a camera reset solved the problem?

All my garbage so far.
Old 14th June 2019

Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,332 Posts
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,152 Posts

I'll follow up with you later Toby when Paul has sorted his issue. I don't want to hijack his thread.
The Following User Liked This Post:
snerkler (14th June 2019)
Old 14th June 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

It definitely sounds like it's a problem with the camera. However, it sounds like a very subtle problem and it's not a failure mode I've ever heard others suffering from. I'm not doubting Paul's account or likely cause - it will be interesting to see what the resolution is.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 14th June 2019

Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts

I do wonder if the light was just too low and noise especially in the shadows is unavoidable.
Any attempt to lift details only accentuates the noise, had a similar issue myself last weekend
Old 14th June 2019

Liked 81 Times in 55 Posts

Until we see a photo, complete with its EXIF data showing ISO 200, we can only speculate.
snerkler (14th June 2019)
Old 15th June 2019

Liked 1,793 Times in 664 Posts

Well,

I've got home and uploaded all the images to the computer and they all look absolutely fine - but awful on the camera!

Factory reset of the camera, and the issue has gone away, it also explains the inconsistency of the issue.

So it would appear the display output on the camera itself got "stuck" at a setting and the reset has cleared it!

One or two of the exposure bracketing images from inside a dark tunnel don't look great as they're totally underexposed except the light at the end of the tunnel - which his correctly exposed!

A total mystery to me! but I admit to panicking while "on location" without proper visibility of the images.

Moral of the story - take a laptop with you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walti For This Useful Post:
blu-by-u (17th June 2019), Internaut (15th June 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (16th June 2019), OM USer (16th June 2019), pault (16th June 2019), snerkler (16th June 2019)
Old 15th June 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,527 Times in 2,153 Posts

I'm glad the issue has resolved itself and that your pictures are, in fact, okay.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 15th June 2019

Liked 741 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Well,

I've got home and uploaded all the images to the computer and they all look absolutely fine - but awful on the camera!

Factory reset of the camera, and the issue has gone away, it also explains the inconsistency of the issue.

So it would appear the display output on the camera itself got "stuck" at a setting and the reset has cleared it!

One or two of the exposure bracketing images from inside a dark tunnel don't look great as they're totally underexposed except the light at the end of the tunnel - which his correctly exposed!

A total mystery to me! but I admit to panicking while "on location" without proper visibility of the images.

Your camera has WiFI. Try to have a tablet or phone you trust with you, next time you're ok location. Even if you are not bothered with mobile, it would at least give you some.confidence. Also, if not done already, make sure highlight and shadow clipping is enabled in live view (before you take the photo; not when chimping).

Glad it all ended well for you.
Old 16th June 2019

Quote:
Well,

I'd like to amend this... take a laptop and a connection cable with you, so if the camera does do something daft you can reset it easily!

I realise I could have done a reset while out and about but the thought of ploughing through all the menus put me off... and it only seemed to be long exposures that were the issue, so I avoided them for the rest of the trip!
Old 16th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
Your camera has WiFI. Try to have a tablet or phone you trust with you, next time you're ok location. Even if you are not bothered with mobile, it would at least give you some.confidence. Also, if not done already, make sure highlight and shadow clipping is enabled in live view (before you take the photo; not when chimping).

Glad it all ended well for you.
I didn't think that it was the output from the camera, rather than the saved image that could be wrong, so it didn't occur to me to try to do anything else at the time!

Hey-ho another learning experience!
Old 16th June 2019

Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts

So does this mean there's different custom settings for reviewing images? Which sounds potentially useful if there's (also?) a higher res option, to avoid dissapointment on subsequent reviewing using a laptop and finding an image lacking in detail.

Usefull tip about taking laptop plus connection lead(s) when travelling. For the very first time in many years I didn't take my laptop when visiting the Farne Islands last month, relying on my 8" Samsung S2, OTG card reader, external SSD etc.
Old 16th June 2019

No idea what caused it. I’m not aware of any settings to set or change.
Old 16th June 2019

Liked 387 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
So does this mean there's different custom settings for reviewing images? Which sounds potentially useful if there's (also?) a higher res option, to avoid dissapointment on subsequent reviewing using a laptop and finding an image lacking in detail.

Usefull tip about taking laptop plus connection lead(s) when travelling. For the very first time in many years I didn't take my laptop when visiting the Farne Islands last month, relying on my 8" Samsung S2, OTG card reader, external SSD etc.
I don't think there's any settings like that tbh, not that I'm aware of. Sounds like a weird glitch to me.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com
Old 16th June 2019

Liked 3,997 Times in 1,828 Posts

Not the same problem but for some inexplicable reason, the Em1 ii decided to store everything on card two. I certainly did not change the settings. Having reset that setting, it seems to have settled down again. The change came after I used the video, so maybe there is a shortcut there to the changed setting...……..

hey ho...……..

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 16th June 2019

Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,332 Posts
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,152 Posts

Mine has done that too Mark. It's very weird!
MJ224 (16th June 2019)