Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 2nd May 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
The beauty of grain

I've decided to remove the referenced article on the basis that the 'artist' is not present to defend adverse comment.

on flickr

Last edited by Ricoh; 5th May 2019 at 11:45 AM. Reason: See text
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (3rd May 2019)
Old 2nd May 2019

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts
Re: The beauty of grain

Perhaps we ought to have a thread 'The Beauty of Chroma Noise'!

Jim
Naughty Nigel (3rd May 2019)
Old 2nd May 2019

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

I expect he gets a kickback from the dental industry, I have not seen so many teeth for a long time.
Jim Ford (2nd May 2019)
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 2,512 Times in 1,645 Posts

Hmmmm. An acquired taste I would say.

I like most of the photographs but many of them are spoilt by the grain in my view. This might be acceptable in some of the photographs but not in all of them.

I can understand why the photographer doesn't want to use medium format but I don't get the idea of developing every film to accentuate grain.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jim Ford (3rd May 2019)
Old 3rd May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Hmmmm. An acquired taste I would say.

I like most of the photographs but many of them are spoilt by the grain in my view. This might be acceptable in some of the photographs but not in all of them.

I can understand why the photographer doesn't want to use medium format but I don't get the idea of developing every film to accentuate grain.
The grain comes with the territory; using high speed Kodak P3200 and Ilford Delta 3200 in available low light will yield the results shown. As he explained, the effect of grain makes the highlights seem to explode from the page (remember we're seeing transmitted light using electronic devices and the effect would be somewhat different from a silver gelatine print under reflected light). The grain adds in my opinion, super smooth images would lose impact and the drama in the scene. The article also demonstrates quite nicely that focus is a secondary requirement. Imagine the same set taken with a top end digital camera - which would you prefer?

on flickr
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 750 Times in 498 Posts

As Dorothy Parker (I think) said, for those people who like that sort of thing, it is the sort of thing that they like. So if you like it, all well and good.

I started reading about how he did it but was brought up short by this assertion:

Quote:
As high a resolving lens as possible is also recommended for use with these high speed films. A softer lens will just turn that big, beautiful grain to mush.
This strikes me as being absolute cobblers. Surely the grain effect is most pronounced in areas of smooth tone, many of which are out of focus, which renders the sharpness of the lens irrelevant. Presumably he is making this assertion based on experience, but unfortunately I just couldn't get past it to read the rest. Can anyone explain please?

John
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 4,002 Times in 1,832 Posts

Agree with Nigel.. There is a place for these super photos, but as part of a package... They really are very good...ÖÖ..

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 957 Times in 608 Posts

So grain is a function of the lens, not the film and/or developer? What absolute tosh! However, it is apparent from the pix that whatever lens he's got on his scanner has turned that big beautiful grain to what looks much more like digital noise, at least on my screen. It's horrible. Grain can be very nice, but it has to be sharp, the sort you get from the old Agfapan 400 developed in Rodinal!
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 2,512 Times in 1,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
The grain comes with the territory; using high speed Kodak P3200 and Ilford Delta 3200 in available low light will yield the results shown. As he explained, the effect of grain makes the highlights seem to explode from the page (remember we're seeing transmitted light using electronic devices and the effect would be somewhat different from a silver gelatine print under reflected light). The grain adds in my opinion, super smooth images would lose impact and the drama in the scene. The article also demonstrates quite nicely that focus is a secondary requirement. Imagine the same set taken with a top end digital camera - which would you prefer?
Agreed; grain comes with the territory, but Jonny Martyr, the photographer says that he deliberately uses high acutance developer to make it worse! (Not his exact words admittedly.)

A handful of these might work as an art project but I wouldn't want an entire portfolio showing golf-ball like grain.

Quote:
And I enjoy big, pronounced film grain of 3200 ISO 35mm films and high acutance developers. One can certainly reduce grain by shooting medium format, using flash or using a developer that tidies up the grain. But I enjoy the textures and de-emphasis of irrelevant details in a scene. Yet grainy b&w also makes out of focus highlights sparkle with energy.
We are viewing these as images on screen. I would imagine the prints look even worse.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 746 Times in 310 Posts

I’m not a fan of grain. I don’t mind it so much if it is naturally occurring* and film like, but I see no point in adding grain to my photos in post (or behind the camera).

* My Old Ricoh GR does it rather well at high ISO.
Old 3rd May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
Iím not a fan of grain. I donít mind it so much if it is naturally occurring* and film like, but I see no point in adding grain to my photos in post (or behind the camera).

* My Old Ricoh GR does it rather well at high ISO.
You mean adding grain digitally rather than using film and letting it occur naturally.

on flickr
Old 3rd May 2019

Ok, question to all the armchair photographers out there, how would you go about capturing the wedding reception; what equipment would you use if flash was not an option for aesthetic reasons, and the annoyance it would cause to the guests. MF film is probably inappropriate unless you're Don McCullen!

on flickr
Old 3rd May 2019
Administrator

Liked 553 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Ok, question to all the armchair photographers out there, how would you go about capturing the wedding reception; what equipment would you use if flash was not an option for aesthetic reasons, and the annoyance it would cause to the guests. MF film is probably inappropriate unless you're Don McCullen!
Em1 MkII and the 12-100 - it's what I have done before and will be doing in a couple of weeks for my next door neighbours

it would then be about picking the time and place - often in these events there are times and place with better light and some moments when it's not an option. I would not bother with a tri or mono pod. in those events there are generally loads of walls to lean on or tables to prop a camera on

I would generally leave the ISO limit where I have it 3200, but I would move to higher ISO (6400+) for some pictures but with forethought that I may have to reprocess the pictures in DXO prime if there was too much noise for what I wanted.

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 3rd May 2019

Liked 249 Times in 156 Posts

How many people like to be portrayed as though they have some horrible skin disease?
Old 3rd May 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

There are a lot of good shots there, but are any of them the better for the grain? I think if he shot them with a Pen-F at ISO 3200 or 6400, he'd get more in focus, more properly exposed, and wouldn't be waiting until the day after to know whether his metering was right. He could add as much grain later as he wanted. I appreciate some will say that artificial grain is not the same, but I'd like to test that assertion with the people that matter - the customers.
Portfolio Site
Instagram