Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th March 2009

Liked 2,528 Times in 1,659 Posts
Re: I probably shouldn't be posting this

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post

I have heard that we should automatically disqualify anyone who stands for public office on the grounds of insanity, relating to an overblown sense of self importance.

....... Or because they have plans to use their new position for pecuniary advantage, perhpaps.

And its no good hiding behind the shades Andy; they can still see you.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 11th March 2009
E-P1 fan

My dad's harder than your dad
Old 11th March 2009
E-P1 fan

Did anyone hear 'THE GREAT LEADER' yesterday on Radio 4 - You and Yours?

If not, or if you have a death wish and want to spiral into terminal depression - do have a listen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rs_10_03_2009/
Old 12th March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-1 fan View Post
Did anyone hear 'THE GREAT LEADER' yesterday on Radio 4 - You and Yours?

If not, or if you have a death wish and want to spiral into terminal depression - do have a listen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rs_10_03_2009/
Having just listened to the recording of our illustrious leader on BBC iPlayer I must say I feel really reassured and confident in our future - not.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 12th March 2009
EH1

Talking Re: I probably shouldn't be posting this

The credit crunch is worse than getting divorced!

With the credit crunch you still loose half the value of your house, but get to keep your WIFE!
Old 12th March 2009
E-P1 fan

We are both old Labour - out of old labour for 2 previous generations.

We heard the programme live then listened again later in the day to make sure we weren't being unfar - or had missed something.

Regrettably we hadn't. It really had been as bad as we thought initially.

I'm sure he's a decent enough man as an individual but really - leadership is NOT for everyone. It's a talent that some have and some don't. I don't believe it's something you can learn just by doing it. Poor Gordon doesn't have it. He's definitely reached his level of incomptetence IMHO

He sounded what? - a) depressed b) blinkered c) out of touch - parroting a few bleak phrases despite who was putting a question or the different circumstances which applied d) like a man who has run out of ideas and options and is surrounded by lickspitttles without the guts to tell him the truth - heaven only knows.

One thing I do know is that he did NOT sound like a credible leader. Did NOT inspire us with any hope or confidence that he knows what he's doing. We actually felt worse after hearing him.

What a Disaster.
Old 12th March 2009

Quote:
We are both old Labour - out of old labour for 2 previous generations.

We heard the programme live then listened again later in the day to make sure we weren't being unfar - or had missed something.

Regrettably we hadn't. It really had been as bad as we thought initially.

I'm sure he's a decent enough man as an individual but really - leadership is NOT for everyone. It's a talent that some have and some don't. I don't believe it's something you can learn just by doing it. Poor Gordon doesn't have it. He's definitely reached his level of incomptetence IMHO

He sounded what? - a) depressed b) blinkered c) out of touch - parroting a few bleak phrases despite who was putting a question or the different circumstances which applied d) like a man who has run out of ideas and options and is surrounded by lickspitttles without the guts to tell him the truth - heaven only knows.

One thing I do know is that he did NOT sound like a credible leader. Did NOT inspire us with any hope or confidence that he knows what he's doing. We actually felt worse after hearing him.

What a Disaster.
Very true. I listened to most of the interview twice, and I must say I feel extremely let down.

All we ever seem to hear from Noolaber are empty promises which never materialise, and lame phrases such as 'doing the right thing' which sound as if they are corporate buzz phrases dreamt up by Noolaber PLC's Marketing and Media department.

I don't necessarily expect politicians to apologise, but from where I was sitting all I could hear were lies, excuses for massive failures, and denial. I was a little surprised that GB didn't blame Maggie Thatcher, (alongside the rest of the world), although he did say that Labour inherited huge debts form the Tories; which is a lie.

So, all in all, if we believe what we are told, Noolaber got everything right, didnít sell the family silver (or gold), and is 'doing the right thing'; yet we are still in deep doo doo.

Now, will you pass me that bottle of pills.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 12th March 2009

Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I was a little surprised that GB didn't blame Maggie Thatcher
I will!

IIRC it was Thatcher that decide Britains economy should put all its eggs into the 'service industry' basket - y'know banking, insurance etc.. Now where is it our economic problems lie?

Jim
Old 12th March 2009
EH1

Talking Re: I probably shouldn't be posting this

It was Gordon Brown that sold off all of britains gold when it was at a record low when he was chanceller, & now its also Gordon Brown who is creating billions of pounds out of thin air which is all making our pounds worthless which is why the price of camera equipment seems to be going up (its not its that the value of th pound is going down)! However the price you get from picture agencies has recently gone up for pictures of Gordon Brown looking depressed! so us paps can have the last laugh after all!
Old 12th March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I will!

IIRC it was Thatcher that decide Britains economy should put all its eggs into the 'service industry' basket - y'know banking, insurance etc.. Now where is it our economic problems lie?

Jim

But Jim, that is not where the problem lies. You are just listening to, and believing the bull5hit spouted by Noolaber PLC to cover their own backsides. If you really listened to the You and Yours radio interview that Ken (E1-Fan) provided a link to, you would know that Gordon Brown is well out of his depth, and just doesn’t have a clue how to resolve the present difficulties.

The fact is, this government has spent far more than we could ever afford on it's various social engineering projects, and by employing hundreds of thousands of unnecessary civil servants - as has every Labour government before it. Indeed, the government was so desperate for money that it sold our gold reserves at rock bottom values, taxed us to the hilt, raided our pension funds, and was happy for individuals to get themselves into tens of thousands of pounds worth of credit card debt; just so long as the tax revenues kept rolling in.

We were living an unsustainable lifestyle - both financially and environmentally. It should have been obvious to anyone that it simply wasn't sustainable; which was probably why Gordon Brown wanted to get out of the Treasury before the proverbial hit the fan.

Frankly I don’t think they know where to turn next. Right now they seem to be behaving like gamblers who have just been given a new credit card, and are hoping to save face before the next election. If that fails they will simply blame the Tories and the world economy – as they always have done.

But, let me just ask you two questions.
1) If Maggie Thatcher’s policies (in relation to the financial industry) were so badly flawed, why did Noolaber do nothing to change them over the past twelve years? Surely that that would have been a much better use of Parliament’s time than the Fox Hunting Bill.

2) Why do we even have a Labour government when only 36% of the electorate voted for them at the last election? And why are they so desperate to cling onto power when it is clear that the country would be much better served by a different, or coalition government?
As it happens, I was never a great fan of Maggie Thatcher, but she did bring about a number of essential reforms, and helped to create a strong economy, which this Labour government was more than happy to exploit for twelve years.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing

Last edited by Naughty Nigel; 12th March 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12th March 2009
E-P1 fan

I predict a Riot!
Old 12th March 2009

Quote:
I predict a Riot!

Oh no; - just a few lynchings.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 12th March 2009

Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
If Maggie Thatcherís policies (in relation to the financial industry) were so badly flawed, why did Noolaber do nothing to change them over the past twelve years?
Because she destroyed the other 'baskets' we had been putting some of our eggs in!

Quote:
As it happens, I was never a great fan of Maggie Thatcher,
I'll be hanging out the flags when the vile old gorgon goes!

Jim
Old 12th March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Because she destroyed the other 'baskets' we had been putting some of our eggs in!

I'll be hanging out the flags when the vile old gorgon goes!

Jim

Sadly, the Union leaders had already eaten the eggs for breakfast, and there were none left for anyone else.

And with respect, whilst I appreciate that you may not be a member of Mrs Thatcher's fan club, lowering yourself to that level of personal insult does nothing whatever to support your argument.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 13th March 2009
E-P1 fan

Whatever ones partisan history - anyone else a graduate of the Grosvenor Square school of marbles, horses and paddy wagons - it's left to VINCE the MAN to speak words of sense to an increasingly despondent nation.

He simply said that the New Labour brand was now BUST! How nice to get some straight honest talking. Under Noolabr such straight talking has become almost as rare as a non red FTSI screen

Oh I see Mandelson's affairs are all in a blind trust - rumoured to be run by a close friend so............ rule bending? what rule bending!