Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 25th March 2016

Liked 556 Times in 269 Posts
Google is great once we understand the basics

I have often said while preaching my thoughts and understandings it is better to learn the basic of photography and editing from a book or two as I did. With the internet there are so many different and differing opinions it can get so damn complicated and confusing so very quickly

Over the past few week I really think I have proven those thoughts to be somewhat correct; well correct for me anyway. I have decided to make my front yard into a mostly a succulent garden because they generally need little water and less love to survive.

So I started googling 'succulent' to learn more. And now I'm more confused than when I first started. I have a heap of bookmarked pages; many of which are from other counties. And most searches lead off in another direction or to a totally different subject so after a couple of hours I looked at a dozen other things with nothing to do with succulents or gardening in aust with less water.

I have bought local succulents off facebook without knowing much about the $2-3-5 plant. Apart from the pretty one I need to feed Roundup, I have little knowledge of any of them ........ inside ......... outside

So I'm off to the library first to find a book more about what I'm wishing to do. Or maybe straight to a walk in book shop to buy such a book for a beginner photographer ........... umm I mean beginner succulent grower. LOL I did google succulent books but ....................................... again

Getting my point of all this? I'm totally confused with too much info and often info that has nothing to do with my requirements. Bit like a beginner shopper buying milk; too many options in the shop fridge!! So prettiest label wins

We see it so often where new to photography people have done just as I have done; used google to learn and been lead all the world to every brand and every type of camera and every type of subject and all of a sudden they are totally confused and totally lost. The same goes for those new to photo editing.

Google is great once we understand the basics

So IMO, one or maybe two books are so much better to learn an understanding of the basics. If we can get such a book free from our local library all the better. Before the internet that's how we did it. I still remember the book my grandmother gave me as she before anyone saw the photography streak in me. And I still wish I didn't lend that book to a local journalist many years ago

When it came to learning editing with PS7; I bought a book for beginners
When it came to editing with LR; I bought a book. Not so much for a beginner this time as I now had a reasonable understand. That was Scott kelby's LR 3

Now I understand the basics, Google and internet is very handy to pick up something new but I so glad I didn't have the internet or google in the start.

I will let you how the succulent book; and the front yard goes

to all
Old 26th March 2016

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts
Re: too complicated

What is the missing book, Ian ? I have quite a few older photography books.
Old 26th March 2016

Liked 154 Times in 67 Posts

Pics will br required Ian
Old 26th March 2016

Liked 3,382 Times in 1,820 Posts

Leaving the photographic issue aside:

I have been involved with the cultivation of "succulents" for over 50 years.

It is best to divide them into cacti, the Family Cactaceae, found only in the Americas. and "other succulents". The latter group includes many families, some of which are all or mostly succulent, such as the Mesembryaceae, other with a few representatives. Many of the so-called succulents are Xerophytes which are drought-resistant but any water-storage may be below ground.

The book which will tell you what is included is Hermann Jacobsen's Lexicon of Succulent Plants but that is for identification and not cultivation..

Harold
IanB (26th March 2016)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (27th March 2016)
Old 26th March 2016

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

I prefer video instruction films for things like Lightroom. Scott Kelby's Lightroom book cured my insomnia, it is the wrong shape and the pages too wide to work with alongside the keyboard on a narrow desk.

Seeking information will take you down some wrong roads, as you learn what is the wrong road, you learn the correct roads to follow.

If it was easy then everybody would be doing it.
Old 26th March 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
I prefer video instruction films for things like Lightroom. Scott Kelby's Lightroom book cured my insomnia, it is the wrong shape and the pages too wide to work with alongside the keyboard on a narrow desk.

Seeking information will take you down some wrong roads, as you learn what is the wrong road, you learn the correct roads to follow.

If it was easy then everybody would be doing it.
. Now I prefer youtube to help perfect things I mostly already know. Book size was a drama for me also
Old 26th March 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Leaving the photographic issue aside:

I have been involved with the cultivation of "succulents" for over 50 years.

It is best to divide them into cacti, the Family Cactaceae, found only in the Americas. and "other succulents". The latter group includes many families, some of which are all or mostly succulent, such as the Mesembryaceae, other with a few representatives. Many of the so-called succulents are Xerophytes which are drought-resistant but any water-storage may be below ground.

The book which will tell you what is included is Hermann Jacobsen's Lexicon of Succulent Plants but that is for identification and not cultivation..

Harold
Succulents work or play only for you?

will look that one up; I'm now onto a couple of aust books.

I'm not totally green and not a totally green thumb bloke; was born and breed on the land so understand much of it. I'm just not into or wanting to get into the latin names the same way as I use the common names for birds. You should see the **** about using common names from some on facebook group. Oh shock horror; we never use those type of words; as if they knew all latin names from day one!!
Old 26th March 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkly View Post
Pics will br required Ian
Pics and basic name is all I require; the same way as a photo newbie doesn't have to know it all by day one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
What is the missing book, Ian ? I have quite a few older photography books.
the book itself doesn't matter; it's more about from my grandmother and the words she wrote inside the cover. No idea about the name or much in it. I would have been given that in late 60s early 70s and lent it to a "friend" in the early 90s

Cheers alls
Old 27th March 2016

Thanked 1,345 Times in 1,050 Posts
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post

will look that one up; I'm now onto a couple of aust books.

I'm not totally green and not a totally green thumb bloke; was born and breed on the land so understand much of it. I'm just not into or wanting to get into the latin names the same way as I use the common names for birds. You should see the **** about using common names from some on facebook group. Oh shock horror; we never use those type of words; as if they knew all latin names from day one!!
It wouldn't matter if you learnt the correct botanical (Latin) names because some turkey will come along & rename anyhow. Some of our native plants & trees have gone through that more than once. Also, there are many cultivars that carry their unique or not so unique (common) name anyhow.

I wish you well with your 'succulent' garden. If you can find them in your local nurseries (including Bunnings & Flower Power, if one is near you) then there's a good chance they may do OK anyhow.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 27th March 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
It wouldn't matter if you learnt the correct botanical (Latin) names because some turkey will come along & rename anyhow. Some of our native plants & trees have gone through that more than once. Also, there are many cultivars that carry their unique or not so unique (common) name anyhow.

I wish you well with your 'succulent' garden. If you can find them in your local nurseries (including Bunnings & Flower Power, if one is near you) then there's a good chance they may do OK anyhow.

being getting most locally from other growers at $1 to $5, often with a classy pots and some free advice along the way. Was sort of stuffing up in the past with too much water for cuttings and so so forth. Now adding coarse river sand and gravel to basic (read cheapest) potting mix. Well also added the same sand and gravel to my water repellent superdry clay soil.

As I was told during the week: the more I "hate" and neglect them the happier they are; but I will never call them 'my babies' as I have seen on facebook. Or "my new babies to join my growing family of ... " one wrote. For fook sake!! . ........ It's not a camera
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (27th March 2016)
Old 27th March 2016

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

We all learn in different ways. Personally, I detest video tutorials and much prefer personal experimentation with a book for basic principles. Sometimes the internet can be excellent for reference material, but there's a heap of junk out there too!
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 27th March 2016

Liked 3,382 Times in 1,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
Play but I work had at their photographs. Being diverted a bit by expanding collection of Pleione orchids.

Harold
Old 27th March 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,625 Times in 938 Posts

http://www.succulentsandsunshine.com...ng-585x877.jpg

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...