Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 16th October 2014

Liked 2,516 Times in 1,648 Posts
HLD6 Query

I had to use my OM-D EM5 with HLD6 during a thunderstorm in Italy last week.

The camera started behaving oddly even before it got wet, and took quite a few photographs without me asking! More to the point, the camera would not respond to first pressure on the shutter release, but just took photographs as soon as the shutter button was touched (although auto focus still worked).

I dried everything out, but a week later I find that the camera still takes photographs as soon as the shutter button is pressed slightly. (The camera is set to S-AF+MF.)

This is resolved by removing the HLD6 grip.

My question is, are there separate focusing settings for the HLD6 somewhere, or is it just a fault in the grip?

I don't know whether it is still under warranty, or even how long the warranty lasts, but I am willing to concede that it is probably my fault for taking it out in the rain.

Does anyone know how much Olympus is likely to charge for repairs, or whether the control grip is available without the battery holder?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 16th October 2014

Liked 753 Times in 499 Posts
Re: HLD6 Query

Your fault for taking it out in the rain? The blasted thing is supposed to be weathersealed! (Even if the prime lenses are, sadly, not)

Can't add any further wisdom to your question, sorry, just glad I haven't experienced it.

John
Old 16th October 2014

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

You've tried 'control alt delete', I suppose (restore factory settings in other words). This I believe sorted a problem you had when in Portugal (I understand it was a different issue).

on flickr
Old 16th October 2014

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,219 Times in 1,174 Posts

Nigel, you might be experiencing the annoying fault with the vertical grip's shutter button that is also evident with HLD-4 except the shutter button isn't so vulnerable. The problem I have found that although the 'lock' might be switched to ON with the vertical (portrait) grip section, that shutter button if fully pressed won't take a photo, but a press of the landscape or camera's button at the same time will result in it taking a photo (exposure) with just a have press because of it. I've added a raised pad around my portrait shutter button to prevent this as I will sometimes grab the camera around the grip strap which would then normally also press on that shutter button. Here are photos of that addition. This also makes holding the grip a little better too.

And a couple more in my gallery by clicking on the above photos.

Obviously, the connection points need to be clean & tarnish free as well.

Hopefully that might help you.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (20th October 2014)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Chevvyf1 (18th October 2014), Naughty Nigel (20th October 2014)
Old 18th October 2014

Well, thank you all once again for your advice. Sadly, it seems that the grip is faulty.

Following recent problems with my EM5 I bought a second EM5 body from Carmarthen Cameras - I rely heavily on my cameras for my work, and working without a camera is simply not an option for me, so there was really no other choice.

When I fitted the HLD-6 grip to my new body I had exactly the same problem, with the shutter firing as soon as the shutter button was touched. It does auto-focus, but there is no confirmation bleep with the grip attached.

Next, I tried a new HLD-6 grip on my original EM5, whereupon everything worked perfectly!

I have tried cleaning the camera and grip contacts with alcohol, but this made no difference.

I will try leaving the grip in a warm, dry place for a few days to see if it cures the problem. If not, I shall have to investigate which options are open to me. Hopefully I can get it repaired under warranty, but if that fails and repair is prohibitive I will try to see if the grip is available without the battery holder, as this is in perfect working order.

I somehow doubt that the rain is responsible as rainwater is pure, and has little conductivity. Even if rainwater did affect operation the problem should resolve itself when the water dries out - and it is supposed to be weather sealed after all!

In this respect, I am happy to report that both my OM-D-EM5 and my Zuiko 12 ~ 40 mm lens performed perfectly in the rain, so I don't know why the grip failed.

The soft facing on the grip's mating surfaces (which feels rather like suede) did seem to soak up a lot of water, and in my view is not a good choice of material for this application; but the electrical contacts are sealed with a rubber 'O ring' which should have kept them dry.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 18th October 2014

Naughty Nigel,
I wouldn't be too confident about rain being 'pure'. It may well pick up contamination on its way down, some of which will be ionic in nature (i.e containing charge carriers). Electronics is the control of charge carriers, introduce extraneous numbers of these and hell breaks out in the electronics world.

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Chevvyf1 (18th October 2014), Naughty Nigel (20th October 2014)
Old 18th October 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Naughty Nigel,
I wouldn't be too confident about rain being 'pure'. It may well pick up contamination on its way down, some of which will be ionic in nature (i.e containing charge carriers). Electronics is the control of charge carriers, introduce extraneous numbers of these and hell breaks out in the electronics world.
Steve, I was thinking along these lines you mention

Nigel, a very interesting post and if you get to the base of the problem I shall be very interested to read it
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 18th October 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Well, thank you all once again for your advice. Sadly, it seems that the grip is faulty. .........

When I fitted the HLD-6 grip to my new body I had exactly the same problem, with the shutter firing as soon as the shutter button was touched. It does auto-focus, but there is no confirmation bleep with the grip attached.

It sounds like the (portrait) grip's shutter button is stuck ON (through internal shorting of the grip unit, at the pins or where ever?). I assume the grip is in lock position? If it isn't it might be taking photos.

What happens when you only attach the landscape grip? Does it still have the same problem. Greytop (Huw) had a portrait section die because of rain. You would need to search a fair way back to find that thread though (maybe 2012 or early 2013).
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 20th October 2014

Quote:
Naughty Nigel,
Steve, I cannot argue with the science, which is sound, but these are low voltage circuits, so I would have hoped that Olympus' engineers would have designed the circuits with low enough impedance not to be adversely affected by a bit of clean-ish moisture should it find its way past the weather seals. After all, it is supposed to work in the real world.

(New circuit boards are routinely washed in distilled water to remove flux residues, so water per se should not pose a problem.)

Ross, it definitely isn't a stuck shutter button. What happens is that ALL THREE of the shutter buttons (including the camera's own shutter button) become super-sensitive whenever the [faulty] grip is attached, and will fire the shutter with the slightest touch.

(In other words, adding the grip changes the camera's focusing mode.)

The problem seems to be within the first (Landscape) grip. Adding the Portrait grip only extends the problem to another shutter button!

However, as explained earlier, a new HLD-6 Landscape grip resolves the problem. Unfortunately, the Landscape grip doesn't seem to be available separately.

Depending on Olympus' repair/warranty charges I would be tempted to take it apart myself, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of getting in.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 20th October 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Ross, it definitely isn't a stuck shutter button. What happens is that ALL THREE of the shutter buttons (including the camera's own shutter button) become super-sensitive whenever the [faulty] grip is attached, and will fire the shutter with the slightest touch.

(In other words, adding the grip changes the camera's focusing mode.)

The problem seems to be within the first (Landscape) grip. Adding the Portrait grip only extends the problem to another shutter button!

However, as explained earlier, a new HLD-6 Landscape grip resolves the problem. Unfortunately, the Landscape grip doesn't seem to be available separately.

Depending on Olympus' repair/warranty charges I would be tempted to take it apart myself, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of getting in.
I wasn't suggesting the shutter button was physically stuck but seemingly shorted (electrically). A replacement (or repair) sounds like the only way to go, but the same symptoms occur with a normal HLD-6 grip with the portrait grip shutter button being fully pressed when the switch (on the grip) is on Lock & the camera's (or Landscape) shutter button is half pressed causing it to fire the shutter immediately. Try it with the good one & you'll see what I mean.
Old 20th October 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I wasn't suggesting the shutter button was physically stuck but seemingly shorted (electrically). A replacement (or repair) sounds like the only way to go, but the same symptoms occur with a normal HLD-6 grip with the portrait grip shutter button being fully pressed when the switch (on the grip) is on Lock & the camera's (or Landscape) shutter button is half pressed causing it to fire the shutter immediately. Try it with the good one & you'll see what I mean.
Hi Ross, I see what you mean now.

However, I don't think the shutter button(s) are stuck or shorting electrically or mechanically as ALL shutter buttons behave the same way when the affected grip is attached.

It doesn't matter whether the battery grip (portrait grip) is attached or not as it's shutter button simply mimics that of the other two.

I will give LCE this afternoon a call to see what they say.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (20th October 2014)
Old 23rd October 2014

By way of an update, I tried the grip again today after a few days of 'drying out' in a warm dry place.

The good news is that the shutter button function has been partly restored, but it remains hyper sensitive, so it is difficult to focus manually without firing the shutter.

However, the two other shutter buttons (on the camera and portrait grip) now work normally.

This would all seem to suggest that moisture was the problem, but how it got into a weather sealed grip is open to question.

Clearly it still isn't right, but LCE have said they will do what they can to get it repaired under warranty, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 23rd October 2014

Weather sealing is a tall order for consumer electronic products, especially devices costing a few hundred pounds having moving parts, like buttons and things. To describe it as weather sealed is hyperpole, describing it as shower proof for a few minutes or so of light rain would probably be more honest.

on flickr
Old 24th October 2014

Quote:
Weather sealing is a tall order for consumer electronic products, especially devices costing a few hundred pounds having moving parts, like buttons and things. To describe it as weather sealed is hyperpole, describing it as shower proof for a few minutes or so of light rain would probably be more honest.
I agree, but weather sealing of a shutter button is not that difficult, and only requires a couple of O rings. We manage to weather seal marine equipment without too many difficulties.

Likewise engines and machines contain gasses and fluids under pressure, which generally stay where they are supposed to.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing