Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 9th February 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OM-D E-M1 reliability issues - to buy again?

Hi,

In November I purchased an E-M1 and had to return it because the camera randomly locked up in the same manner described in this forum. Additionally, when taking a photo with IBIS activated the image in the EVF would appear to shift slightly, sometimes appearing to rotate. I found this disconcerting and the retailer accepted this was unusual behaviour compared to the demonstration E-M5 and exchanged it for a Canon 6D (there were no E-M1 cameras in stock and I didn't want the hassle of a legal dispute).

I miss the E-M1 and find the 6D with a 24-70 f/4L lens heavy to carry. However, I have read many threads on this site and others questioning the reliability of the E-M1. Other than the random lock up issue, even the rubber eye cup and rubber panels are apparently prone to falling off. Incidentally, my Olympus AZ-200 (circa 1990) had the same issue with the eye cup.

Has the recent firmware update helped with the lock up and EVF issues? Should I wait until Olympus has rectified these issues?

Kind regards,

Martyn
Old 9th February 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: OM-D E-M1 reliability issues - to buy again?

Well, the lock-up issue certainly is a problem for a minority of users, and whilst the recent firmware update seems to have reduced occurrences, Olympus acknowledge that it was not a total cure and are still investigating.

I've not heard of the eyecup problems - mine is extremely difficult to remove, and have only heard of one occurrence of lifting of the "skin".

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Last edited by StephenL; 10th February 2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 9th February 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Stephen,

Is the lifting skin issue heat related? If so, I can't imagine it being a problem in the UK.

Do you think buying an E-M1, whether in the UK or for less in Hong Kong, is worth the risk bearing in mind the lock up issue?

Thanks,

Martyn
Old 9th February 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Well, the one occurrence I've heard of wasn't heat related, I don't think, but it was just one corner of one panel.

Remember, Olympus UK offer a 2 year warranty, and I'm not sure if the extra 6 months coverage on top of that is still on promotion.

Put it this way, if I had my time again, and I could select any new system, I would still go for the E-M1. The camera is so ergonomic, and the whole system is so compact. The only other system which may tempt me would be Fuji, but they don't have the same lens range.

My Flickr site
The Following User Liked This Post:
brian1208 (9th February 2014)
Old 9th February 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is importing from Hong Kong a bad idea. I wonder if Olympus would honour the warranty of a camera purchased outside the EU.

The ergonomics of the E-M1 are good but I found the right strap eyelet pressed into my hand.
Old 9th February 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

I know what you mean about the strap lug! Worldwide Olympus warranty is just 1 year. Obviously, Olympus UK frown on grey imports. You'd have to balance risk versus cost. But by the time you've paid import duties, VAT, etc (if you're caught) the price difference may not be that great. The alternative would be to buy a used UK body with the balance of warranty remaining.

My Flickr site
Old 9th February 2014

Liked 1,328 Times in 625 Posts

As above, I think this is statistically a very small sample of cameras having these problems, else there would be an outcry on some of the other, more noisy, forums

My first one failed as you describe, my second had a few lock-up problems since but I have seen no repeat of the EVF "jump with IS" or other IS problems and its now been working without issue for many thousands of shots (I'm back to shooting hard and frequently)

The results are so good that, for me, the 2+1/2 year warranty + experience of the rapid Olympus Europe support means I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again, knowing what I know

To a large extent it depends on whether your experiences with other makes have been faultless (mine haven't with canon, so I have had a few recalls / exchanges in the past) and how you view the risk vs benefits balance

It will take a lot to prize my EM-1 kit from my hands (except maybe "EM-N" with many great enhancements )
Old 9th February 2014

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

They bullied you into taking some Canon because you didn't want to have a legal dispute?
Old 9th February 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Recently I seem to be unlucky with cameras; prior to the faulty E-M1 two Canon 6D cameras had to be returned (first one dead on arrival then a cluster of stuck pixels on the second cameras's sensor) hence my concern about another E-M1.

Should the image in the viewfinder remain static after an image has been taken? I think the E-M1 was set to show an image in the EVF for a few seconds or until the shutter was half-pressed again. Other than to set the date the factory default settings were in place.

With the 6D I'm living in dread of dust appearing in the viewfinder and on the sensor. I know that dust is a fact of life with cameras, but at least Olympus' dust shaker is reasonably effective.

Thanks,

Martyn
Old 9th February 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian p View Post
They bullied you into taking some Canon because you didn't want to have a legal dispute?
Hi Ian,

There was an offer for Lightroom 5 with the 6D and the retailer was starting to become hostile. I bought the camera in the shop so couldn't do a section 75 CCA'74 charge back. At that moment I wanted to get out of the shop and I didn't like being accused of being cursed with bad luck with cameras.

In retrospect I should have asked for a refund and shopped around for a better E-M1 offer once the issue of the random lock ups had been concluded. This doesn't seemed to have taken place yet.

Martyn
Old 9th February 2014

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Martyn

The viewfinder jumping issue - it's worth playing with the EVF settings to try the alternate views. If yours is set to the reduced image view with the data strip below, when the image plays back in the EVF, it will jump to fill the whole screen in the normal playback view. This can be disconcerting. If it is set to the full screen EVF view with data overlaid, the playback will be at the same size in the EVF.

Bruce
Old 10th February 2014

Liked 1,328 Times in 625 Posts

Bruce, the EVF jump was a different thing entirely and was a pre-cursor to lock-up and EVF failure. In my case there was a clunk and the entire view jumped sideways, initially before the shutter actuated but shortly it resulted in failure
Old 10th February 2014

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I had one lock up that's all and over the weekend after taking a number of images with flash, no change in settings the camera then decided to use "2nd Curtain" for some images...not sure if I had done something wrong but it was annoying. I switched off and on to reset and was fine again for a few more actuations...
I would still have the EM1 over others now....ask me again in a few months time.
Old 10th February 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartynV View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Recently I seem to be unlucky with cameras; prior to the faulty E-M1 two Canon 6D cameras had to be returned (first one dead on arrival then a cluster of stuck pixels on the second cameras's sensor) hence my concern about another E-M1.

With the 6D I'm living in dread of dust appearing in the viewfinder and on the sensor. I know that dust is a fact of life with cameras, but at least Olympus' dust shaker is reasonably effective.

Thanks,

Martyn
Martyn, sorry to hear of your dis-asters CRH would say ...

I am sticking with my ONEs because I do believe it shall be sorted - sooner the better and given the 4,000 images I have kept from 5,000 taken Its a fab camera - Carrying all the lenses and tripod for a day about Winchester was NOTHING more than a handbag really whereas your Canon WELL I would be at the Chiropractor & Osteao for weeks after carrying that lot ...

AND an Olympus benefit NO DUST with the ONE ...

So we get a few "Black outs" a "lock up" and some "Card Errors" ... all can be overcome ... so I may mis a shot or two In the grand scheme of life ... Ian must be telling OLY about these GRIPES here and with the error reporting to OLY they have plenty to work on ... although I am tempted to send one of mine to Portugal ... soon ... I just hope another firmware update 1.2 will clear up the problems

Its AWESOME in low light too
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 10th February 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

I haven't experienced any lock-ups since the early pre-production E-M1 I had for a few weeks back in the summer.

The shifting view in the finder is sometimes evident when the IS is in operation. Unless it's unusually severe, then is is normal.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
brian1208 (10th February 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
brian1208 (10th February 2014)